Yellow HPHT Oval Diamond Worth?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO?? ...don't waste your $$$.

teklit

Rough_Rock
Just throwing an idea out there.
You could buy a yellow sapphire with that money.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I like it. As long as it's disclosed, I'm OK with HPHT.

mast3r

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1451976337|3970864 said:
Why is it a waste? It was my understanding diamonds don't have much resale value as it is, HPHT or not. I understand it's even less with an HPHT one, but we don't plan on selling it!

teklit|1451977280|3970867 said:
Just throwing an idea out there.
You could buy a yellow sapphire with that money.

Thanks, it was considered, but lacked the "bling" she wanted!

Andelain|1451977857|3970872 said:
I like it. As long as it's disclosed, I'm OK with HPHT.
Thanks, it was clearly disclosed the first time it was presented. It's just hard to know if it's a fair deal since there's so few out there to compare to.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mast3r|1452001046|3970950 said:
Why is it a waste? It was my understanding diamonds don't have much resale value as it is, HPHT or not. I understand it's even less with an HPHT one, but we don't plan on selling it!
I agree. HPHT is a disclosure problem and a shopping problem, not anything fundamentally wrong with the product. The shopping problem is the one you're asking about here and the difficulty is in finding comparable goods. It's entirely inappropriate to compare them to untreated natural stones of similar colors for the same reason that it's inappropriate to decide a Hyundai is a bargain because it has the same number of wheels as a Ferrari and is cheaper. It's true, but so what? On the other hand, HPHT comps are wickedly hard to find. They don't advertise them here at all. The options are to shop around with competitive sellers so you can compare similar offers, talk with an appraiser who has better access to data and knows where to look, or take a flyer and trust your dealer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no advice but am not opposed to it as long as the price is considerably less than natural color (although I like Fancy Yellow better than that intense color). So whatever they are asking, always, always, offer less and be prepared to walk if they don't negotiate the price. Since we can't give you HPHT comps, about the best thing you can do is go to a site like Leibish and compare similar natural color diamonds and make sure you are paying less.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-oval-23782

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-intense-yellow-oval-19512

After looking, I can see why the price is tempting.

Neil, is the color permanently stable and is there no greater risk such as chipping on a HPHT stone?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1452004823|3970970 said:
Neil, is the color permanently stable and is there no greater risk such as chipping on a HPHT stone?
Yes and yes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, thanks Neil!

mast3r, please come back with pictures of your finished ring! I think the diamond looks really nice and hope you can get a great deal on it! Did you find it locally? I don't even know where to find these stones.

mast3r

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments. Nobody balked at the price, so I guess that's a good sign I guess!

It is a family owned, local jewelry store. I probably messed up not trying to negotiate, but I didn't even know how much to offer.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only reliable place I know to find HPHT treated stones is e-Bay, which is a den of thieves anyhow. That said, there is a roughly comparable uncerted SI1 oval there for $2750. So yours is a better deal than that, that's for sure.

Part of the problem with pricing these is that so few people want them. If you want this particular thing, then it's worth what someone (you) will pay for it. If you think a yellow sapphire is just as good, then it's worth the same price as a comparable yellow sapphire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think so few people want them because most people have never heard of them. I don't see it being that much different than the common heating of sapphires and other gemstones to enhance the color. I might not want one for my engagement ring, but I would be open to colored ones for other jewelry or even white ones for stud earrings, for example. It looks like the Bellataire brand is associated with Lazare Kaplan, so there is a chance those might even be well cut. But I am having trouble finding where they are sold by google search.

mast3r

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452016092|3971062 said:
I think so few people want them because most people have never heard of them. I don't see it being that much different than the common heating of sapphires and other gemstones to enhance the color. I might not want one for my engagement ring, but I would be open to colored ones for other jewelry or even white ones for stud earrings, for example. It looks like the Bellataire brand is associated with Lazare Kaplan, so there is a chance those might even be well cut. But I am having trouble finding where they are sold by google search.

All I know is it that my jewelry store got it from California

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1452002067|3970953 said:
mast3r|1452001046|3970950 said:
I agree. HPHT is a disclosure problem and a shopping problem, not anything fundamentally wrong with the product. The shopping problem is the one you're asking about here and the difficulty is in finding comparable goods. It's entirely inappropriate to compare them to untreated natural stones of similar colors for the same reason that it's inappropriate to decide a Hyundai is a bargain because it has the same number of wheels as a Ferrari and is cheaper. It's true, but so what? On the other hand, HPHT comps are wickedly hard to find. They don't advertise them here at all. The options are to shop around with competitive sellers so you can compare similar offers, talk with an appraiser who has better access to data and knows where to look, or take a flyer and trust your dealer.

I found one price comp.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.50-carat-d-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-824186

https://www.hadardiamonds.com/catalog/summer-sale/g50-round-brilliant-gia-certified-d-if-natural-hpht-diamond-pdf.html

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results