shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow gold trend on the decline?

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
Yellow gold had a major comeback in the past few years, but I've been hearing that its trend is finally fading this year. I've noticed that many people have been opting for yellow gold lately given the trend. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts ...

I don't follow trends.
Rather, instead of doing what others like, I do what I like.
For me social-approval is a low priority compared to self-approval.

What others do is none of my business.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends entirely on the stones and the look you're after, imo.

After however many thousands of years, I can't imagine yellow gold "going out of style" -- and if it did, it would just be a short-term blip. For the vast majority of the world, anything other than yellow gold could just be base metal.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't follow trend, don't wear yellow metals as they do not suit my skin tone, whether they are on trend or not.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spent several thousand USD on 22K and 24K gold; no following the trend here. :bigsmile:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those kinds of fashion articles always baffle me. How does a color go out of style? Reminds me of my ex next door neighbor, who told me he didn't like trees. Sort of like saying you don't like round things, or the color blue, or things beginning with the letter T. So arbitrary as to be ridiculous.

It's all about what suits the stone/s and your skin tone. And if those things don't interest you, then it's all about making something that fills a gap in your collection, scratches an itch, or simply warms your heart.

Yellow gold will always be in style. So will platinum. There's no right or wrong on this - tho there will always be people telling us what we should like. Some people have nothing better to do with their time.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think YG had finished this round of popularity just yet. I’m still seeing it more and more.
A quick google search shows that it’s still on trend.
Not that I care. I wear what I like, but I did go through the white metal trend. After an entire childhood/teenage years wearing YG, white metals was a nice change. I’m into mixing metal colors now.

IMG_9439.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think YG had finished this round of popularity just yet. I’m still seeing it more and more.
A quick google search shows that it’s still on trend.
Not that I care. I wear what I like, but I did go through the white metal trend. After an entire childhood/teenage years wearing YG, white metals was a nice change. I’m into mixing metal colors now.

IMG_9439.jpeg

Mixed metals are really my favorite!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Like @Slickk, I mix metals—yellow gold, platinum, white gold. And my fave RHR is a three-color Cartier trinity ring. :D

ETA: I'm fortunate (or maybe not, depending on how I look at it, haha!) that gold and or white metals look fine on my skin tone, so I can wear either or both. And do!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think the yellow gold trend is fading. My nieces in their early thirties wear yellow gold jewelry. Two recently got engaged and married and their engagement and wedding rings are yellow gold, their necklaces, earrings and bracelets are mostly yellow gold. They wear and mix white gold too.

Thank you for the laugh @mrs-b, I too had a former neighbor who did not like trees. Your comment made me laugh as I felt the same way you did.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what’s being referenced is more the style of yellow gold pieces rather than the color itself. The past few seasons have been about 90s throwback style and herringbone, curb link, paper clip chains have been everywhere. I’m guessing those are alleged to be on the wane, not major pieces.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worn yg for 43 years. Not only am I allergic to WG but it’s not my skin tone. I’m warm.

Mrsgotrocks71

Rough_Rock
Those kinds of fashion articles always baffle me. How does a color go out of style? Reminds me of my ex next door neighbor, who told me he didn't like trees. Sort of like saying you don't like round things, or the color blue, or things beginning with the letter T. So arbitrary as to be ridiculous.

It's all about what suits the stone/s and your skin tone. And if those things don't interest you, then it's all about making something that fills a gap in your collection, scratches an itch, or simply warms your heart.

Yellow gold will always be in style. So will platinum. There's no right or wrong on this - tho there will always be people telling us what we should like. Some people have nothing better to do with their time.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the laugh @mrs-b, I too had a former neighbor who did not like trees. Your comment made me laugh as I felt the same way you did.

Umm, my big take away from this thread is there are people who don't like trees??!!! :shock:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold and white or platinum. I don't like rose as my skin tone is pink and it blends right in. I generally wear white and yellow together.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t follow trends & tend to stay true to myself. Mr T has always bought me platinum since we got engaged with a platinum ring, but my skin loves yellow gold. So for our 10th wedding anniversary he bought me a skinny yellow gold Tiffany Lucida band for my right hand ring finger to stack with my full platinum eternity & for our 15th wedding anniversary last year, he bought a yellow gold Tiffany bangle, which I have added a yellow gold Tiffany bracelet stack over the months since.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where I live and work white gold is popular for those under 40, and yellow gold for those over. It has been years since I have seen a newly engaged or married woman with a yellow gold ring. Both yellow and white gold are beautiful though.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
All this talk of metals has me wondering - is there a good thread for pics on mixing metals?

I’ve just searched but can’t find a comprehensive SMTB! Would love to see how some of you mix your warm and cold metals as I still prefer to coordinate in one at the moment (either YG&RG or white).

I do think the fashion world is proclaiming a comeback of white metals (at least, according to the accounts I follow on Instagram!) but I wonder how much of that is marketing spiel to get consumers to buy something they didn’t know they needed…

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do think the fashion world is proclaiming a comeback of white metals (at least, according to the accounts I follow on Instagram!) but I wonder how much of that is marketing spiel to get consumers to buy something they didn’t know they needed…

You just summed up the never-ending scam known as, "Fashion".

Staying "in fashion" is pretending you become cool by dumping (or never dare get caught wearing) your perfectly good stuff, then buying new stuff, which is also just going to fall out of fashion. :knockout:
They've convinced us they deserve a continuous supply of our money.

It applies to everything, clothes, jewelry, cars, furniture, "outdated" :rolleyes: kitchen counters,
Everything.
Social media just puts fashion on steroids.

You don't have to "play" that sucker's game.
And you don't have to live on social media.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another not-a-trend-follower...buy what you like and what you think looks good on you. I also love mixed metals!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all previous metals.
I adore a big chunky sterling cuff bracelet, and I also love a delicate yellow gold band ring.
I wear what I like, and don't worry about what other people wear.
Trends are for young people who think their peers are actually observing and judging them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stores are filled with pieces like these, many are larger and more ostentatious! IMG_0121.jpeg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve always preferred cool metals even in the 70s and 80s. I love to mix silver, WG and Platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results