shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold ring I want to make White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Is there a way a jewler can turn a yellow gold ring to a white gold with out resetting????

Thanks

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but only temporarily. You can have it rhodium plated. Unfortunately, this will not be a permant color change as the rhodium wears off with time.

My sister-in-law had this done to a yellow ring (she is in the process of changing over to white metal jewelry), and it lasted about 6 months before it was noticeably yellowing again. She''ll either have to continue to replate (around $30 per plating since she did not buy the ring from that jeweler) or have a new setting made.

DiamondLil

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I know a girl that had her''s dipped...its only supposed to last 6 months-year, but its been at least six months and still looks great!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I love the ring but would have like the white gold look. Do they do platnium over gold?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
A regular on here has recently done this, and right now i cant think of who it is. Hopefully she will reply to this or i will think of who it is! She hasnt been too thrilled with the results.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had some of my jewelry dipped about three years ago and it still looks great. I don''t wear those pieces all that often so maybe thats why they still look great!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 3:13:15 PM
Author: njc
A regular on here has recently done this, and right now i cant think of who it is. Hopefully she will reply to this or i will think of who it is! She hasnt been too thrilled with the results.
Yeah, I forget who it was too, but it was recent. She had it dipped and said that chunks of the plating where coming off slowly, leaving a spotted ring. I think she posted pictures of it in one of the forums (I think this particular one, but I can''t seem to find it). I can just remember that she wasn''t very happy at all and had wished that she had never done it.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
You are right Stretch... its someone that has a large collection of rings... I remember them posting the collection and pointing out where it has come off on this particular ring. Its no JFlo though! Patty? Sevens? Libster? Im still looking...

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! Im so glad you found it... it was going to drive me crazy!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have dipped a necklace omega chain and earrings. They are fine. They still have a slight tinge of yellow, but it''s not something someone else would notice. They are lasting fine because they don''t get knocked around. I don''t think I would ever dip a ring because it would start wearing off.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this your engagement ring? Dipping it will not last very long on a ring you wear everyday, assuming you wear your engagement ring every day. If it''s a ring you wear every so often, then go for it.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I laughed as I read the subject and even more as I read the responses!!!

Yes I did it, and yes I have problems with my skin reacting to the metal and wearing the plating away! I''m sure it''s different for each person, but in my case I wish I hadn''t messed around with my yellow gold and left well enough alone. Dipping white gold is no problem because even after some of the rhodium plating wears it''s still white gold, not bright gold peaking though. Live and learn
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results