shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold or White?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Another question ...

I'm normally a yellow gold girl. I don't have a lot of jewelry, but the jewelry I do have is YG - really, the extent of my jewelry collection consists of a gold watch (probably gold plated - it's not solid), a necklace and a pair of earrings! Oh, and my e-ring, etc!

I am currently getting a RHR made, which can only be made in platinum. I'm generally OK with mixing metals ... but, as I have an opportunity to do a mini-upgrade of my e-ring ... should I take the opportunity to switch to white gold, so that my RHR and my e-ring match?

I'm not in a position to replace my wedding band, or eternity ring - and as these are yellow gold, they would have to be plated to match the e-ring.

What do you think ... switch to WG or stay with YG?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which do you like better on your skin? Have you tried both on at the same time to see which appeals to your eye more?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a yellow gold girl too, but have a few white gold pieces that I mix in as well. Do you think you'd regret changing your e-ring to white gold, being a YG girl? If it means it will only match your RHR and not your wedding band or eternity ring, I'd be more inclined to keep your wedding set as is and let each piece stand alone. I've had YG pieces plated but find that the rhodium wears off too quickly for my liking. Personal preference of course! What kind of RHR are you having made?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think YG looks best on me. It kinda blends in with my skin.

I would not normally consider white metals ... its just my new RHR has to be made in platinum - and so I was thinking about taking the opportunity and switching. Something different IYKWIM.

Another issue is whether my new stone would look better in YG or WG. I've just bought that J AVR that should have its own Frequent Flyer points, and so am thinking it might look best in WG. Putting it in YG might make it look even more yellow.

There just seems to be a few factors pointing me towards WG over YG ... even though I have a strong preference for YG! It might be time to make the switch.

This mini e-ring upgrade really is just more of an interim measure for me and an opportunity to try a few things out, before I do a proper upgrade - which wont be for about 3-4 years ... at which time I probably would go for WG or Platinum because of my RHR ... its just more of an issue, of do I put my new e-ring in YG, so that it matches my existing w-band/et-band set!

My husband says I should go YG ... and if I really want it white, then get all 3 rings plated. At least that way, they all start from the same base colour, and I can always have the plating removed if I don't like it - but I'm not sure if this is wise advice?

@DandiAndi - My new RHR will be VC's "Sophia" ... that's the one with the channel set french cuts.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Just something to think about...it looks as though yg is coming back in vogue. ;)) I've been seeing more and more yg erings turning up in SMTB is recent months. Also, as you know, wg has to be re-plated every so often, and the frequency differs from person to person. For me it's every 9 months to keep it nice and white. I hate being without my ring, so this is a pain for me as I have to send it back to the original vendor if I want to take advantage of the free re-plating. But, I think that I would choose which ever looked the best on your hand. ANd one more thought, I think people have differing opinions about whether a J looks better in yg or wg. Some think that the yellow helps mask the body color of the stone and others feel that white does. Argh!! :lol: Good luck and I cant wait to see your new RHR!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with go with what looks best on your skin. If you find BOTH look amazing, can you have your stone just plopped inside a mount and see which way the diamond reacts in each colour?

Just wanted to add, I have both on my LH - wg 1/2 eternity, original YG WB and I did have the WG 3 stone reset (which is now dismantled, returned, diamonds sent off...) and it will be remade in platinum (none of this discolouration nonsense again!)

So- there are no rules -go with what you like the best. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results