shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow gold or White Metals???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dory

Rough_Rock
Which is your favorite for diamond jewelry, yellow or white metals and why? Which skin tones and hair colors look best with yellow or white, in your opinion?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 6:09:08 PM
Author:Dory
Which is your favorite for diamond jewelry, yellow or white metals and why? Which skin tones and hair colors look best with yellow or white, in your opinion?
depends on the design... and if you want the diamonds to pop. If you want an overall sparkly ring - white... if you want your diamond to really pop and all the melee as well - yellow. Hair color is irrelevant... and skin tone has to be seen - describing it only goes so far. Besides, most people ignore what looks best for what they prefer anyway LOL Ultimately it doesn''t matter as long as you like it.

And if you do searches on skin tone you''ll find many threads on this very subject....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a daughter with dark golden blonde hair and green eyes, and I think yellow gold is the most beautiful with her coloring. Of course, she is young and wears a lot of sterling. But I hope most of her good jewelry will be yellow gold.

I have dark hair and fair skin, and I think white metals look far better on me. But I think whichever you like the best is the right choice for you!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
My skin tone varies (when I am in California, it is nice and olive...in Philly, I am white as a ghost)...but I always look better (at least I think!) in white metals. I have dark brown hair and light brown eyes. My Mom is a darker ivory skin with light brown/blonde hair and green eyes, and looks WONDERFUL in yellow golds....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have pinkish irish pale skin with freckles. white gold with rhodium looks like i''m wearing a surgical instrument. i have a colleague who wears only white gold coated with rhodium and i think it looks dreadful on her.

i personally like yellow gold. i think gold should be gold. platinum should be platinum. white gold should be pale buttery yellow.

i think the best of both worlds is shank metal whatever color you want, but platinum head or prongs.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer white metals, like the look better...nothing to do with skintone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Colorless or near colorless diamonds should be set in white metal heads. The rest of the ring can be either yellow or white. I love the color of gold. I wear a lot of red, brown or green clothes and they look great with gold. My 1.50 ct F VS2 diamond is set in platinum but I chose yellow diamond side stones. My favorite necklace has diamonds and blue sapphires set in platinum. So, all of my platinum and diamond pieces have some color. I don''t like the all white metal and diamond look, but I am probably in the minority around here.
26.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wore yellow gold...but I am thinking about white gold or platinum on my future "recycle" wedding ring, but I am torn.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
On other people, I like either. Several family members and friends have yellow gold and I think it looks great, on them. Although I''m probably more drawn to white. On my own fingers, I just like the look of white so much better, even though I''m pale as a ghost and I think people might say yellow looks better on me. Having said that, for a diamond that has a very warm color, it might look nicer in YG. I got a ''second'' e-ring, which has a somewhat darker diamond, and it might not look very good in white metal because of its color, but I think it looks nice in its YG setting.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think diamonds look best in white metals, and I like all my jewelry to match (metal color). Since my wedding set it platinum, this means I wear mostly all white metals now. I do like gold, especially solo and I think it looks great for red and yellow stones too. Maybe someday I will be more laid back about mixing my metals. I''m not honestly sure which color looks better with my skin tone - maybe about equal? I look best in fall colors (and darks) for clothing.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I have blonde hair and green eyes and I like wht. gold the best. The patina platimun develops is a bit too grey for my skin and yellow gold washes me out. I really don''t think it matters too much one way or another. I think people should get what they like. I am envious of people with beautiful olive skin. White metals really pop and yellow gold seems to compliment it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m the type of person Cehrabehra is talking about...I just wear whichever I want and I don''t pay attention to what looks better!
26.gif

I think diamonds look awesome with white gold/platinum or yellow gold. I prefer white gold over platinum because I like the golden tones in white gold better than platinum. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE yellow gold, especially with pave. I forget who has the sick knife-edge pave set in yellow gold, but it makes me green with envy everytime I see her avatar!

I think people should just wear what they want! But I think the same way when it comes to clothing colors, too.

Dory

Rough_Rock
I agree that diamonds need to be set in platinum or white gold for the best look and security for the actual diamond, but I always tend to lean towards the yellow gold band part. I absolutely love the look of all white on others, but on me, I just have to have at least SOME part of it yellow. I have very fair skin, very dark hair, and blue eyes, and it just seems to look better on me for some reason.

I am also kind of matchy with my metals, and I feel like with yellow gold bands and plat prongs, I can wear either white or yellow and look fine. (I know it''s okay either way, but, that''s just me being picky I guess)! If I had an all white wedding set, I''d probably never wear any of my yellow gold jewelry, I''d have to go ALL white. Do I have a little phobia???? ha

I love looking at pictures of all white metal rings....looks so clean and icy. But, when it comes to me, I continually pick yellow gold.
emteeth.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always worn yellow gold also and am having my "the" ring made in white gold... I''ve been wearing a white metal and yellow metal ring on each hand - white on left, yellow on right - and I have to admit on my pale pink skin the white is better... but I''m not going to never wear my gold rings because they''re in gold!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was always given yellow gold as a girl growing up, but I really prefer white. Everything I have bought for myself is white gold or platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results