shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow gold DOES make diamonds look more tinted

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another example: Jewelers will put yellow cups under diamonds when they want them to look more yellow.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
Another example: Jewelers will put yellow cups under diamonds when they want them to look more yellow.
very true....

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I have a question on this. I don't really doubt that diamonds to pick up colors from the metal around them. If this is the case, do you think diamonds take on a slightly gray appearance when set in WG or platinum? I realize yellow tones in a diamond may be undesirable, but what about gray tones.

I have my ering in YG with a platinum head. After reading this thread earlier, I noticed a difference in color in different types of light. That, of course is to be expected, but the diamond looked a lot whiter in sunlight than it did with CF bulbs. It's something else to factor in when you're looking at color.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1331004198|3141532 said:
Interesting! I think it depends on the cut of the diamond. Maybe OECs pick up more tint from their surroundings. I wore my Leo set in yellow gold for 3 years and it looked really white to me! The YG provided a nice contrast.

I agree. I think step cuts look tinted in yellow gold. Perhaps it's because of the optics of the OEC, since they don't get their light return largely from the crown because they aren't cut like RB's, so they take on more tint from their surroundings.

I also think OEC's face up whiter (mask tint better) than RB's when they have body color and are well cut.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
usnwife|1331073060|3142184 said:
Yes- it is an OEC. I hope it doesn't look weird, with a two tone bezel. The CAD is my avatar. I plan on an "inner sleeve" of stuller x1 white gold by the diamond, then the outer part of the bezel being in 18k pink gold. I just hope it looks ok. The OEC is an I-J stone, but I want it to look white. The sides are going to be Peridot Green Colored Diamonds in 18k pink gold bezels. It is getting made by Green Lake, so I am going to trust they know how to make a good bezel.

That sounds delicious! If they can fabricate it with an inner sleeve of white gold, that should do the trick. Obviously not everyone has access to that solution if not going custom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results