shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold band with 2+ carat solitaire round color grade?

v023985

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. I am newly in the market for an engagement ring for my gf. I know I am looking for a yellow gold wedding band with a solitaire, round cut diamond over 2 carats, as close to 2.5 as possible and have done a considerable amount of research.

I've been looking online primarily as a way to gauge price but also know that I can save on sales tax, so may go that route. I also have looked at some rings in person to get a sense of clarity and color, but many places predominantly have platinum or white gold rings, very few yellow gold options to get a good sense.

I've read that with yellow gold, you can get away with a lower color grade. I don't think I'd want to go lower than I or J but if it means getting more bang for my buck, I would certainly consider it. Is this true? Would I want yellow gold prongs or platinum/white gold prongs? How much will florescence play in to it? What other factors should I consider?

Essentially, what color grade and clarity for a 2-2.5 carat round cut stone that is naked eye flawless on a yellow gold band can I get away with for best value? My thoughts are "J" color at VS1 with Ideal+ cut. And what color mounting prongs would I therefore want?

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Yellow Gold band with 2+ carat solitaire round color gra

I would do eye-clean SI1 for best bang for your buck. If you have any extra buck you can go up to VS2. No need to be at VS1 (IMO).
I would also do white prongs (plat would be my choice). People do usually go lower in yellow gold. Exactly where you are
talking, I/J. Again, depending on budget I would probably try to stay at "I" color. BTW, what is budget? Are you talking round?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If you put a colorless or very high color (D, E, F) against yellow gold, particularly 18k yellow gold, the diamond will stand out bright white against the yellow metal. G or H probably aren't going to look very tinted, either. My e-ring was .8ct G in a white gold head and 14k yg shank. Later, I put a colorless cz in that same setting, and WHOA! did that colorless stone look a lot whiter and brighter than my G ever did. Diamonds that have tint, have tint. That's a fact. Blue fluor can help the appearance of and I and maybe a G or h, ONLY WHEN UV LIGHT IS PRESENT. There are lots of people who think that J is much too tinted for an e-ring, whose diamond ought to be white or colorless. The I range is where most people start to notice tint.

AND as the diamond gets larger, it also concentrates tint and makes the color more intense. Someone who thinks J is acceptable in .5ct or .8 ct may be very color sensitive and may find that that the larger the diamond, the higher the color must be to get it "white enough."

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock

I lately put a 1.3ct K color with yellowish body color in 18k yellow gold tiffany-like 6-prong setting, yellow shank yellow prong. And I'm happy with it in every single aspect. I will post some pictures of it in a day or two - sorry I don't have it at hand.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I feel I/J diamonds look better in yellow gold, especially 18kg, than higher color stones. I have seen several rings lately with F color stones in yellow gold and i had no idea they were F stones, they were picking up such a yellow tint. I love a good I or J color in yellow gold. It's possible that in a 2 ct stone you will be able to see the warmth of either the I or J. I like warmth but for a 2 ct stone I personally would go for SI1, I color, with some blue flourescence, yellow gold setting. That is just my preference.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock

DO get platinum prongs. I am a yellow gold fan myself and had nothing but trouble with white gold heads. I had 3 of them before I switched to a platinum head (prongs) and haven't had a problem since. I almost lost my diamond with one of the white gold heads. I tried 4 prongs and 6 prongs and it didn't make a difference. platinum!

Well, I have to admit I finally went with a Stuller double prong platinum head but I am accident prone. It has held up well though.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-k.48040/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-k.48040/[/URL]
^ 2.5ct K RB, not in YG but you can see a profile shot for the tint. K can be close to I, or it can be closer to L, and L is definitely a pale yellow. Warmer diamonds can also have a secondary tint like green, pink, brown, gray, and if so, that might affect which metal is the most complimentary for that particular diamond. Same thing can occur in higher color grades, too, but the warmer diamonds are know for being more chameleon-like.

v023985

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone! Seems like I really need to see some options in person and then may end up utilizing some online return policies. Any other helpful information, please let me know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results