shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gems... Ugh?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So now I see why yellow gems do not seem all that popular around here! I have this goofy goal of getting a gem in every rainbow color and it's all handled except for yellow.

There are lots of yellow gems but, from what I can tell, not lots of pretty yellow gems, especially if you want what I want, which is rather large (hoping for five carats minimum but may have to go down to about three carats), not too pricey and pretty enough to want to invest in having a ring setting made for it.

My favorite so far would be a vivid yellow lab diamond but they're out of my budget in a larger size. Next favorite would be a vivid mined yellow sapphire, which would be BE treated to be in my budget.

Then we have the ones I keep looking at, trying to find the unicorn that fits all of the above: Heliodor, chrysoberyl, some type of yellow garnet, yellow tourmaline, yellow topaz, yellow danburite, citrine, amber, fire opal, yellow zircon... I may have forgotten a couple.

Also, it will probably be a few months unless I get super lucky and find just the right stone for under a few hundred bucks.

Or I may just get a lab sapphire or (?) or go for small stud earrings instead. Or just drop the whole thing and just get what calls to me.

Thoughts? Pics? Anyone have a yellow gem they adore? :)

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My ears are ringing! Yellow gems are my favorite!

First up is my little 1.40 ct unheated yellow sapphire from the raregemstonecompany. The color is incredible.

IMG_3239.jpeg IMG_4065.jpeg

Next up is my 6.38 ct lab created sapphire from Finewater.
IMG_6112.jpeg

And here is my 4.84ct yellow tourmaline cut by Jeff white

IMG_6234.jpeg IMG_5967.jpeg IMG_5944.jpeg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Also wanted to add that if it’s mind clean for you, my recommendation is to go with a precision cut lab sapphire

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I have a danburite with the perfect sunny yellow that I want to find in a harder wearing gemstone, but haven’t had much luck. Most yellow gemstones have hints of brown or green that I want to avoid.

3.21 ct 8.46 mm chrysoberyl on top, 3.77 ct 9.32 mm danburite on left:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Nice examples so far!

I got all excited and ordered this yellow fire opal. :lol-2:

I plan to have it set in pendant, if it looks good in real life. We shall see!

Please keep the yellow gems coming. I see now that there IS hope! :)

1701745837262.png

AlohalaniJewelry 5 out of 5 stars (170)170 reviews
8.06 Carat Vibrant Yellow Mexican Fire Opal 15x12mm Untreated Natural Fire Opal Gemstone for Jewelry Making & Craft Supplies Opal Birthstone
$191.00

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My ears are ringing! Yellow gems are my favorite!

First up is my little 1.40 ct unheated yellow sapphire from the raregemstonecompany. The color is incredible.

IMG_3239.jpeg IMG_4065.jpeg

Next up is my 6.38 ct lab created sapphire from Finewater.
IMG_6112.jpeg

And here is my 4.84ct yellow tourmaline cut by Jeff white

IMG_6234.jpeg IMG_5967.jpeg IMG_5944.jpeg

Which one do you like the best?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have a danburite with the perfect sunny yellow that I want to find in a harder wearing gemstone, but haven’t had much luck. Most yellow gemstones have hints of brown or green that I want to avoid.

3.21 ct 8.46 mm chrysoberyl on top, 3.77 ct 9.32 mm danburite on left:

Oh no! Your pics disappeared.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Mali garnet? Someone here has one that's killer.
Although for a ring, you can't beat sapphire. I would ignore who made it and how it was prepared to get a large, beautiful stone. Just IMO.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love my tiny chrysoberyl heart. I’m not sure how “pure” the color is. But it looks sunny and happy to me. I’m hoping to get a larger one in the future.

IMG_1039.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pics -- just thoughts!

I agree with chrysoberyl -- a nice tennis-ball yellow would be perfect. But maybe that's too between-green-and-yellow for your rainbow project; Mr. Biv will need a second middle initial. Hard to argue with that heliodor up above!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I think I personally prefer yellow chrysoberyl over yellow sapphire, though perhaps that's because I have not seen enough yellow sapphires in person.
@dreamer_dachsie Trying not to threadjack but I would love to know if there's any progress on your project with this delightful little heart!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This isn't exactly in budget and isn't exactly as big as you'd ideally want it, but it's also not exactly small and not that much overbudget, so I'm throwing it here in case you've missed it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have given up the idea of having a CS in every colour of the rainbow as I have given up looking for a suitable orange stone that I am unlikely to wear as I don't like yellow and orange as they do not suit my skin tone.

Yellows that I like are neon yellows such as Chrysoberyl with a hint of green.

I ticked the "yellow" box with a lab stone from Gary, a very glowy LuAg (Lutetium Aluminium Garnet); have a Google to see if they appeal.

Don't have a photo of my stone from Gary, sorry, however, he may still have some roughs available.

DK :))

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Which one do you like the best?

This question is pretty much impossible to answer! I love them all. Sapphire has an edge with higher durability and RI. That being said, I’m very surprised by how much I love the tourmaline. It has a lower RI so it has a softer look. When I commissioned the tourmaline I had originally inquired about chrysoberyl. The chrysoberyl that Jeff had didn’t meet my clarity needs so he recommended this tourmaline. I’m soooo glad he did! I’ve had tourmaline (pink) in the past that didn’t wow me but this one is incredible. I think the cut makes all the difference. It never goes dead like other tourmalines. It is shifty but in a good way. It’s more light lemon outdoors but indoors it is a strong canary yellow that rivals my sapphires. If you want to go bigger and natural tourmaline a fantastic option. If you are ok with lab then I would choose sapphire because of the higher RI and durability. Yellow is my favorite so I also have golden beryl, chrysoberyl, and Mali garnet on my wishlist.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on whether you want a greenish yellow or a golden yellow with a secondary of orange or brown. It’s very very difficult to find pure yellow.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The fire opal that I ordered (pictured above) might be my yellow stone, for the foreseeable future anyway. I am not sure I've seen a yellow fire opal in person though. I know it is a soft stone so if it's a keeper, I plan to have it made into a pendant.

Do y'all think it will be the bright vivid yellow shown in the photo (post #6 above)?

Also, feel free to keep the pics coming! :)

I really hope it is that electric banana shade in person. The perfect summer pendant!

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
For affordable yellow gemstones (though most are more affordable than their other color counterparts of the same species) yellow Zircon can be absolutely neon in the best yellows. But the prettiest in my opinion would be Sphene, crazy dispersion, only 5 to 5 1/2 hardness but worn sparingly careful is very hard to beat.

Just to look at, Sphalerite can rival Sphene, but only 3 1/2 to 4 hardiness. But if you just want to gawk at an unmounted stone...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow (hence the username)! This was one of the first rings that lured me into falling in love with coloured gems.

PXL_20230819_045148476_Original.jpeg PXL_20230314_070523881_Original.jpeg

PS: I cheered when I read that you wanted to go large!!!! You won’t regret it!!! Carat size is one of the things that I hesitate to compromise on these days.

Gemslayer

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi I'm new just stumbled across the site today. My answer would be if you want a straightforward but beautiful stone a canary Sapphire a curve ball and a slight cheat as in a great stone it kicks out a kaleidoscope of other colours but I'd go for a sphene with a yellow body colour they can lean into lime a bit but I have seen more yellow examples. Nothing beats a great Sphene.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well I don't know about this. I'll wait to see it in the daylight but in real life, it's not the bold color I was expecting. It has a big window too.

yellowopal.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it seems kinda dull. I think yellow gems really benefit from being sparkly, and this one seems more silky.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
There's a gem yellow variety of andradite garnet marketed as 'topazolite'. It's got the same RI and dispwersion as demantoid (It's the same mineral), but I would imagine it would only be available in very small sizes, as it's rarer than demantoid.

Might be something to add to the list of possibilities.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Trying again. I was considering a sphene after hearing the comments about them here but decided to go with a lab sapphire for durability. It has been on my "watch list" on ebay for some time. It is 10mm, just under 5 ct. and just under $200. There's a very similar one still available, if anyone else wants one. Here's the link:

1702244431445.png

Last edited:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is. I can't seem to get a good photo of it but I think it will do!

yellowlabsapphire.jpg

How do you like the color on this one? Are the vendor photos and descriptions accurate?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
MUCH BETTER!!! do you like it???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results