shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Fluorescence an Observation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
In many cases when we detect yellow fluorescence in a rough diamond we also find a small wispy cloud in the polished stone. The result is usually a very clean SI grading with no other negative effects. This phenomenon seems to indicate that the fluorescing material is confined to the cloudy area.

Has anyone else noticed something similar, or is it just coincidence,
Dave, Richard or one of the other Gemmo’s that inspect large volumes of diamonds??
Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange ltd (Australia)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
An interesting phenomenan, Wayne. I've not noticed it in the diamonds I've observed with yellow fluorescence (I'll look for it now that you've mentioned it), but I have noticed something similar in synthetic diamonds I've been examining lately.

The synthetic yellow and orange diamonds I've been examining often tend to have clouds in them, sometimes with a patchy lime green fluorescence radiating from the clouds but not the rest of the stone. Some of the diamonds also exhibit a fascinating fluorescent "X" or "cross" pattern.

I also recently saw a diamond which was inert, but had another cubic diamond crystal inside of it which flouresced a strong blue. It was wild. I think I've got a photo of it on my other computer (laptop). I'll see if I can find it and post it tomorrow.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Richard,

I certainly would appreciate a copy of the image you mentioned to add to our collection of strange geological occurrences.

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

The fact you have not noticed the same phenomena makes me wonder if it’s a geographic thing.

All the rough material where we have noticed this comes from one area. (Southern Africa)

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Possibly this could be sub microscopic particles of the surrounding medium where the crystal grew. Maybe sodium as the area does have high concentrations of sodium chloride in the form of vast saltpans.

Wayne

Melbourne Diamond Exchange ltd

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results