clarity

Yellow diamond, white diamonds, sapphires, gold ring

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
One more ring...

Gemologist's comments:

1. Carat: 1
2. Would either grade it fancy or light fancy
3. Believes it is not irradiated. (Suggests we send to GIA for grading)
4. White diamonds - nice (his comment)
5. Sapphires - low quality
6. Metal: gold (18k)
7. Weight: 4.90 grams

I just love this yellow diamond. However, I don't like the setting (the white diamonds and sapphires don't look good to me against the yellow diamond). We'll probably have this re-set before selling.

Once again, what do you think?

Weiss18.JPG

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
I love the ring just as it is! It's sad to think all these really unique pieces will be taken apart. I wonder if you would get more for them as artistic jewelry for collectors rather than using the stones for other pieces.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
gemdandy|1303256533|2900505 said:
I love the ring just as it is! It's sad to think all these really unique pieces will be taken apart. I wonder if you would get more for them as artistic jewelry for collectors rather than using the stones for other pieces.

Agreed! I love it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
really lovely ring... can you try and sell before you attempt to recycle?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool looking - what era is it from?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sell??? you dont' want to keep this beauty? I can understand if it's not your style, so maybe reset it into something you would like???

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. This one is kinda tough. On one hand, I don't care for the style much either. But on the other, back in the '60s a whole boatload of gorgeous Art Deco and Edwardian pieces were scrapped because people at that time didn't care for the style, which was an irreplaceable loss. I vote keep it intact if possible, and if you can't sell it, then maybe reset it. I'd err on the side of keeping intact pieces whole, myself. This one is kind of... outside of any real identifying style that would make it easy to date from a pic. The type of cut on the center stone would be a good way to date it, unless it's a reset/marriage. Colored stones in YG were big in the '80s, but something about this doesn't really feel '80s to me- more like, it was a custom job for someone with very specific taste.

(And yes, I am totally stalking all your threads- what an amazing collection!)

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
D&T|1303267362|2900666 said:
really lovely ring... can you try and sell before you attempt to recycle?

I guess we could try to sell it before having it re-set, but there's a problem with that. We don't know if the yellow diamond is a natural yellow diamond or a diamond that has been irradiated. The gemologist thinks that it's natural because if someone is going to irradiate a diamond to enhance color, then why would they enhance to a yellow or fancy yellow grade? It would make more sense to irradiate to an intense yellow grade.

Then, there's the issue of the size of the diamond. It's only 1 carat, so does it even make sense to go to the effort and cost of shipping it to the GIA for grading?

Then, there's the issue of the quality of the diamond. It looks fairly eye clean, but I've found that doesn't mean squat. Maybe what we'll do is have the gemologist remove the stone and look at it under a microscope. If it actually measures at 1 carat or above and looks decent, perhaps then it will be worth it to ship it to GIA.

Then, let's say that the gemologist, based on his evaluation of the diamond out of its setting, recommends that we ship it to GIA and GIA rates it in such a way that the diamond has value. Well, we'll have to deal with the setting issue. The sapphires are mediocre, but the white diamonds are decent. I don't know anything about setting or resetting jewelry. However, what I do know is that the setting doesn't ring my chimes.

First things first. I'll report back on the diamond after the gemologist has had the opportunity to remove it from its setting, take measurements, and report on the quality.

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
Here are some close up pix of the yellow diamond. I'm not convinced that the pictures are accurate in color. I think the yellow diamond is lighter than pictured.

Ring #18 (5).jpg

Ring #18 (4).jpg

Ring #18 (3).jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results