shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow dd

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soni

Rough_Rock
HI
I m interested in diamonds.
I would like to know that Z colour is same as fancy vivid or fancy yellow,
Some one told me that it is same.
Thanks

diamondguy425

Rough_Rock
Z is the bottom of the scale for "white diamonds" the next grade is Fancy Light Yellow, then Fancy Yellow, then Fancy intense Yellow, then Fancy Vivid
Intense and Vivid are commonly called Canary YellowTo say Z is the same as intense yellow is like saying J is the same as D
HI
I m interested in diamonds.
I would like to know that Z colour is same as fancy vivid or fancy yellow,
Some one told me that it is same.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Diamondguy425, welcome!
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamondguy425
wavey.gif

diamondguy425

Rough_Rock
To answer your question i work for a wholesale/manufacturing company. We sell to jewelry stores and dealers worldwide.
Although I am fully qualified to do appraisals.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Btw, Diamondguy425, you've mentioned that you're gemologist. Do you do appraisals or sell to the public?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by diamondguy425:
Z is the bottom of the scale for "white diamonds" the next grade is Fancy Light Yellow, then Fancy Yellow, then Fancy intense Yellow, then Fancy Vivid
Intense and Vivid are commonly called Canary YellowTo say Z is the same as intense yellow is like saying J is the same as D.

I agree that you are right and this is exactly what is taught by GIA, but in reality and in practice, a round diamond of Y/Z color, face up, with an older GIA report would now likely get a "fancy yellow" grade and surely get a "light fancy yellow" GIA grade. I sense a nuance change has occured in the approach to where fancy begins. Surely we see this in radiant cut diamonds where the body color is really about R yet due to smart cutting the face-up color is intensified enough to get a "light fancy yellow" rating. Many radiant cuts with less body color than my Y/Z master are getting "fancy yellow" grades on recent GIA reports. It isn't scandalous, but just a reality.It is a system that favors the BEST end result, not a purely scientific approach. I don't say this is unethical or incorrect, but it is from observation that one discerns what the strategy of the grading system truly is versus what is taught on a more simplistic basis.
------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I’ve heard that if you have a round Z color diamond, you will get a fancy or at least a light fancy GIA grade.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you David,That was a tough one for me and I hoped you'd stoped by
smile.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Soni and Leonid:I own a Y/Z GIA split graded one carat stone as a "master" for my color grading sets. I am sure it would get a fancy yellow if submitted now for grading. It is way more yellow than many "light fancy" color yellows we have seen. It is not a vivid fancy however.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results