carat
color
clarity

Yaya still isn't sure about this parrot thing

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love Cockatoos so much.
They are so sweet and cuddly, and look like freshly fallen snow.
I'd also love to have a gray since they are so smart and the best talkers.
But one parrot is pleeeeeeeeeenty for this family.

I hear ya on birds picking people.
Puppy definitely prefers my SO to me, but when he's not nearby she's still very sweet and affectionate with me.
When all 3 of us are together she does not hate me; she just keeps stubbornly walking away from me and towards him.

My SO loves that she prefers him.
He's a brat and plays this game with her.
When she is on his lap he asks her, "Puppy, do you want to go to your Daddy (while pointing at me)?"
She'll usually say, "No", in her goofy little voice.
I think she understands.

Every morning I take the dogs and the bird for a walk.
Puppy hangs on my shirt or clings to the leather leash.
(She is not allowed on shoulders since that may lead to dominance issues related to eye-height.)
When we meet strangers Puppy crawls down me to the ground and over the the new person.
About half the people we run into are comfortable picking her up after I give them a few tips.
When she greets the new person she'll often give them a wolf whistle.

I'm very lucky Puppy is friendly with everyone.
I don't think that is usually the case in tame parrots.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
awww sooo cute!

A friend has a Macaw and a African Gray I used bird sit them before they moved out of state.
They were a trip and the way they talked to each other was hilarious!
buddy(grey): shut up seemore!
seemore: NO!
buddy: shut up!
seemore: bite me!
buddy: seemore bad bird
seemore: pretty bird pretty bird
buddy: shut up seemore!!
buddy: buddy loves seemore
seemore: loves buddy!

And on and on and on and on!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, love the stories Kenny! Growing up, we had a parakeet (some special kind, but I can't remember the name). She had a cage (more like a hotel then a cage, really) and we just kept the door open for her all day. She loved to sit on my pencil while I did homework and would sit on the edge of my Dad's glass at dinner when she wanted a drink. She was especially fond of my grandmother's boufant (not sure how to spell that one) hairdo and would sit on her head like it was a nest or something. Before we got Buddy, I never would have understood how bird's have their own distinct personalities. Your stories about Puppy remind me vividly of "budgie"....

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The last pic had me laughing. I love your fur and feather babies. They are soooo cute!

Your right on them understanding. Did you ever hear of Dr. Irene Pepperburg? She had a grey named Alex. Incredible.

I had a female grey. She would be on her perch and if I left the room, she would climb down to find me. I would see her and tell her go back, go back to home. She then would walk back to her perch and climb up. She was so smart. The first time I heard her speak, she dropped the F bomb! I was shocked, not by her speaking but by the word. I never said that word. I later found out she learned it from my hubby. She never was much of a talker, but she sure can mimic. Once I kept hearing the fire alarm beep. They say when it beeps, the battery is going bad. For weeks I tried to find which one. Hubby said it was her. I said how do you know. Because it only happens at night. That's why you never could find which one was going off. my hubby would flip her on her back, lay her on his chest for hours. I couldn't do that with her.

I also had a red bellied parrot. Super cute and fearless. He was a crazy little guy. He would occasionally make this loud screaming sound while viciously flapping his wings on the bottom of his create. He would sleep with his head pointed down in the upper corner of his cage. He was such a little clown. He would also make baby noises while trying to nibble your nose. But he would always try to bite hubby. After a point, hubby refused to TOUCH him. I know that's not good, but funny as heck. A teeny tiny bird that my big strapping hubby was afraid of.

My dog was trained to leave them alone. Though the grey would intentionally go off her perch and walk up to my dog, who in turned ran to hide in the bedroom. I hope I didn't thread jack, but I get so excited about hearing about people's pets. I could talk all day about them. My guys are number 1 in my home. Hubby is number 4.....LOL

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1317190062|3027649 said:
minmin001|1317185182|3027604 said:
one question.. does puppy poop everywhere? since I think they can't control it right? it is soooo cute but I'm not sure if I'll want one if that's the case

Yes it is possible to potty-train birds.
I was able to potty train every bird I've had before, (actually it is partially the human that gets trained).

Puppy has been the hardest to potty train of all my birds.
I don't think it is because of the species, just the individual.
FOrtunately the droppings are small for a parrot.
You should see those Macaw bombs. :-o

Senegal parrots are the smallest true parrot and while Puppy can be noisy at times, Senegals are the most quiet of the parrots.
Less expensive too at only a few hundred bucks.
Macaws, Cockatoos, African Grays, and Amazons run in the thousands for a hand fed baby.
Senegals can be taught to talk human vocalizations and use them in appropriate times, though it is not as talented as the African Gray.

Dogs have been bred for millennia to love us and want to please us.
Not so with parrots; it is a challenge developing and maintaining the good personality of a parrot.
Even a hand fed domestically-raised baby parrot is just a couple generations removed from wild animals and if we are to meet their needs and have a mutually successful relationship the human has TONS to learn and much of it is not obvious.

If you are considering getting a parrot please FIRST read these two excellent yet inexpensive books:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Well-Behaved-Parrot-Barrons-Mattie/dp/0764136674

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Companion-Parrot-Behavior-Mattie/dp/0764142135/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Do your homework and find a good breeder, preferably local so the baby bird doesn't have to be put on a commercial jet.
Get your hand fed baby right from the breeder soon after the bird is weaned.
Pet shop experiences or multiple homes make a successful outcome less likely, though not impossible.

Tons of birds are in the rescue circuit, but I'd not recommend those challenging birds with special needs till you have experience.
People just don't do their homework about the birds needs so the birds end up rejected, traumatized, miserable and damaged emotionally.
I think the biggest mistake is people underestimate the amount of socialization, stimulation, and interaction these intelligent animals need.
If you want a pet get a dog or cat.
If you want a buddy get a parrot.

Thank you Kenny, that was very educational. I will look more into the books. First, need to show those pic. to FI :bigsmile:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Oww, how adorable they are!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Great great stories!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They are a real treat to see, Kenny! Cutest little crew you've got. I've read similar stuff to your info -- I'd say most people don't research the needs of the animals they adopt, or think honestly whether they have the time & interest to fill them. Certainly is true of Siberian Huskies -- I did rescue work for about 15 yrs & can testify to that. Parrots live so long, it's a big commitment.

Puppy looks brimming with health, obvious you make her very happy. If birds aren't fulfilled socially & emotionally, it seems to show quickly in their health.

My mother lived in an apartment with a big lawn area in front. One morning her golden retriever & I were out there drilling in obedience. A crazed old lady shouted, "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOOOOPPPP IT!" Looked around, couldn't see anyone; thought this maniac must be yelling out her window. It continued the entire half hour we worked, gave me the creeps. Asked Mom who the nutty old broad was -- yeah, a neighbor's parrot whose cage sat by their window. I honestly never would've guessed!

-- Laurie

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Kenny! I knew from your profile pic that you had a bird but I didn't realize how into them you were. That's awesome! I'm a bird trainer at the San Diego Zoo. I work with a wide range of birds (raptors, corvids, softbills, parrots, and a few odd-balls) and have to thank you for posting those recommendations for anyone wanting a parrot. One of the "stars" of our show is an amazing little yellow-naped Amazon, but the reason we have him is because his owners could no longer care for him and surrendered him. He is one of the smartest, loudest, and clearest talkers we've had and he picks up words, phrases, and songs REALLY quickly (great quality for a show bird!) but it's sad to think that there are tons of other parrots out there that weren't so lucky to end up at a great place like the zoo once their owners couldn't care for them any more.

I also love your line, "If you want a pet get a dog or cat. If you want a buddy get a parrot." I have trained a variety of animals from dolphins and sea lions to dogs and cats, but I love birds the most, and parrots are among my favorites. They are SO smart - smarter than the dolphins I've worked with despite many people thinking dolphins are at the top. We have two keas that we work with (not sure if you're familiar with them) but they learn new behaviors in a single session, and on top of that we can teach a behavior to one of them while his brother watches, and then the brother will do the behavior! They melt my heart :)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Puppy and Lola (my best friends bird) are really tugging at my heart strings and making me want a birdy! They sound like neat pets to have :)

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Please post more pictures and Puppy stories Kenny . Puppy is too adorable - theses stories and pictures are priceless.

Had a pet canary as a teenager and know the deep bond with a bird. This canary would demand to stand on my hand when I came home from school.. leaping, jumping, beeping until I took it out of cage and held it on my hand until we both fell asleep- this canary would follow me around everywhere, and would not be denied! I did my homework with this bird on my hand, sessions with a MATH tutor, canary on hand giving me the evil eye to get with it! My heart went out to this bird and swore after him there would never be another. It was an amazing bond... surprising how personal it can get with our feathered friends

More Puppy please...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Kenny post more pics of Puppy. And more stories. Love all the stories here.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gratuitous Overpriced Puppy Portrait from her Virtual Hawaiian Vacation.

When Puppy was a baby this was her bed.
It's just a hand towel looped in a circle and pinned to the roof of her "room".

She just loves baby toys to chew up.

The American Academy of Poicephalus Senegalus endorses only the finest, House Foods Premium Tofu.
Their head Spokesbird, Puppy, says it best, "Squawk Squawk Squawk!"

0a0s0d.png

0bed.png

baby toy.png

House Foods Tofu.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here she is feeling froggy, hanging up side down, and inside out from my sleeve.

0001.png

0004.png

0900.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Dad, some papaya DID go down my throat too.
Now clean up this mess and bring me a new toy to chew up or I'm gonna destroy your dish drainer.

Papaya.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoo Hoo . . . Hey Dad . . . The roof it still leaking . . .

Did you use that money to fix the roof, or did you buy more of those colored diamonds?

wet.png

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
well it's very clear Puppy outshines the Octavia- even soaked.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
your making me miss my feathered friends.

Some where I have a pic of their great dane with buddy riding on its shoulder.
It was cuteness overload.
The dog loved buddy but hated seemore with a passion and would growl at him.
They would play together for hours.

Have you ever seen a great dane play tug of war with a parrot and a rope toy?
it is soooo funny!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...my bird is bigger than your bird!!... :tongue: :praise:

amazon syz.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how beautiful!!
Tell us more about your bird DF.
Is he/she an Amazon?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1317311221|3028744 said:
Kenny...my bird is bigger than your bird!!... :tongue: :praise:

But where are all the cute shots of your bird?!?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1317313622|3028768 said:
Oh how beautiful!!
Tell us more about your bird DF.
Is he/she an Amazon?
Kenny
yes, Blue Front Amazon.i don't know its sex but he/she talks more than you... :lol:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, do you have a parrot forum you would recommend?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don't.
I have googled one or two up when I had questions but don't even remember what they were.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I am in love with Puppy (don't tell DH)!! I love the photo with the papaya and when he's all fluffed up from a bath (I'm guessing)? He's adorable!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that last pic is of Puppy wet, from a bath.
She loves baths and I'll have to get some pics of that.

Here is an old pic of my Ex.
No the stove was NOT on.

hot.png

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, these pictures made me smile so big. I needed a smile too....really, really badly. Thank you :) Please keep adding more, I really can't get enough! Anytime I am sad, this is going to be my go-to thread.

I love Puppy. I wish I could meet her!

FI used to have a black palm cockatoo and really loved her. His parents have an African Grey (that I hate).

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1317230009|3027957 said:
awww sooo cute!

A friend has a Macaw and a African Gray I used bird sit them before they moved out of state.
They were a trip and the way they talked to each other was hilarious!
buddy(grey): shut up seemore!
buddy: shut up!
seemore: bite me!
buddy: seemore bad bird
seemore: pretty bird pretty bird
buddy: shut up seemore!!
buddy: buddy loves seemore
seemore: loves buddy!

And on and on and on and on!

llllllollllllllllll.....love it. Tooooo funny.

I want to get a black palm when I'm done school. I can't imagine having to listen to two birds talk while studying :-o

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I second Autumnnovember's request Kenny! Puppy is just too cute, please post more photos when you can!

Here's my sister's parrot!

We're not exactly sure what type of parrot he/she is!

CIMG3582.JPG

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Autumnovember|1317348483|3029317 said:
llllllollllllllllll.....love it. Tooooo funny.

I want to get a black palm when I'm done school. I can't imagine having to listen to two birds talk while studying :-o
It was a trip.
Buddy would sit in front of the tv and talk to it, sing along with the radio. he knew like 3 or 4 different radio DJ slogans he would do, sound effects and all.

The had 2 phones so they could tell it was a real call and not buddy then they got seemore and buddy would do one and seemore the other, so they added a third phone, didn't work between the 2 of them they duplicated it.

seemore was not as good a talker as buddy but was a lot younger.
Buddy was 20 something years old, he belonged to an older lady who had to go into a nursing home and couldn't keep him so she gave him to them.
seemore was a rescue someone moved and left him in an apartment alone :{

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results