shape
carat
color
clarity

Yay or nay - preloved diamond ring

poppins

Rough_Rock
Hi! I need some input. I stumbled across a preloved ring in my size 3.75 which does not happen very often. It is a 18 k white gold solitaire with a GIA triple Ex G/VS2 0.5 Stone. The angles are 35 respective 41 and the table is 59. I am aware of that this is not within the superideal range, but for a price of about 1995 USD, would you consider it? The ring fit like a glove on my finger which is really rare....Is it an ok stone by PS standards?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
You can get a similar ACA stone for $2K, however would need to order the setting separately. I would personally get a new ACA as it will be a super ideal and you'll be eligible for Whiteflash's upgrade program.

poppins

Rough_Rock
I am in Europe...I put the ring on hold so can't send pics since the ring is now gone from the site. I can send a black and white picture when I get home from the printed paper I have. Had I been in the US the ACA route would more obvious. This is not an engagement ring for me either.

poppins

Rough_Rock
I am in Europe...I put the ring on hold so can't send pics since the ring is now gone from the site. I can send a black and white picture when I get home from the printed paper I have. Had I been in the US the ACA route would more obvious. This is not an engagement ring for me either.
So, this is the GIA cert and the grainy black and white picture (which is not very helpful as far as the diamond is concerned).
20211101_201744.jpg Screenshot_20211101-195925_Chrome.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not consider this ring. The ring is in very used condition, the prongs don’t seem to cover the stone enough and aren’t finished well, and with the boxy prongs and 59% table, the visual effect just isn’t that appealing. You can definitely do better.

poppins

Rough_Rock
So, I went back today to take a picture gor more input. I can have it repolished and rhodinated for 60 USD. I have a 0.38 which is closer to PS standards and this one is not really up there, I agree. But I could not really justify buying a superideal Stone in this size, even if it is small by US standards.

Attachments

• 20211102_130201.jpg
    20211102_130201.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211102_130402.jpg
    20211102_130402.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 23

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs should conform to the diamond not the diamond conform to the prongs. I have a solitaire diamond of similar size and the prongs don’t look like this.

I would keep looking,

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with the previous posters. I had a 35/41 diamond with a smaller table than this one, and it looked nice and fiery under high lighting and suffered in lower light settings. My new diamond which falls within the near Tolk proportions looks great in a much wider range of lighting.

By waiting until you have a few hundred dollars more you could have an incredible diamond and a similar brand new setting. Links below.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you love it? That is all that matters.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty (just saw the pics).prongs are a personal choice. Some like them set with the arrows and some like them set NS and two sides.

poppins

Rough_Rock
The prongs should conform to the diamond not the diamond conform to the prongs. I have a solitaire diamond of similar size and the prongs don’t look like this.
I think it looks pretty (just saw the pics).prongs are a personal choice. Some like them set with the arrows and some like them set NS and two sides.
If you love it, get it!!
Buying from the US and having it shipped to Europe is always a bit of a hassle and very costly (import taxes, shipping fee)…
Thank you for looking, all of you! I counted on the suggested stone from Whiteflash and the setting in 18 k and with import taxes the final price would be about 4000 usd, just to put things in perspective. And I was quoted 5200 usd had the ring been newly made (with this stone!), so yes of course Whiteflash would win hands down. Diamonds are typically overpriced for what you get where I am.

But, the choice is not between this or a new topnotch ring, rather this or nothing. 4000 usd is out of the question since I already have a classic solitaire where all the stone angles are PS-approved. I am just tempted to get a bigger stone and without having the hassle of size changing and for this price point it does not have to be perfect. I suspect the pricing is on the lower side because few have this size and demand therefore is low. But I don't want to end up with a complete dud of a stone either. It is still a lot of money for an extra ring so to speak, at least for me. And while I can pick out a superideal stone over a poor or average performer, trying to get to "good enough" is above my diamond experience I think. Hence my question.

I had more time today, so I had a better look in the loupe. And in the shoplight this ring did fine by me. Not the superideal sparklebomb, but...I have a week to think about it. Without PS I would never have fallen down this rabbit hole, I tell you that!

As for the style, this is a rather typical Scandinavian "clumsy" style, not like the classic 6-prong setting. I found a picture of something a bit similar to the ring I found now so you get the picture. I don't think anyone in the US would approve of these prongs but the style is not uncommon where I am - believe it or not.

Screenshot_20211102-172740_Chrome.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm a bit of an outlier here...I know a lot of people on PS prefer ideal cut stones and I respect that and I understand the reasons why...but OTOH sometimes budget is a consideration too. I personally think it looks very lovely on you. You've had the chance to see it in person and it sounds as if you really like it. I have a mrb whose numbers would make some head for the hills...but it's a pretty diamond, dang it! lol

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers, specs etc aside, I think it looks beautiful on you. It looks far from a dud! If you love it and it makes you happy, if the diamond is 100% secure and is the right price, then I would get it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I see, I didn’t realize that different regions had more prominent prongs. Also, I am a bit hyper focused on prongs so take my comment with a grain of salt.

poppins

Rough_Rock
I guess I'm a bit of an outlier here...I know a lot of people on PS prefer ideal cut stones and I respect that and I understand the reasons why...but OTOH sometimes budget is a consideration too. I personally think it looks very lovely on you. You've had the chance to see it in person and it sounds as if you really like it. I have a mrb whose numbers would make some head for the hills...but it's a pretty diamond, dang it! lol

Numbers, specs etc aside, I think it looks beautiful on you. It looks far from a dud! If you love it and it makes you happy, if the diamond is 100% secure and is the right price, then I would get it.

Thanks! After all it is a triple Ex, but I have read too many posts on PS about the GIA cut grading being too generous... Also, I know for sure that I like diamonds with a lot of fire and smaller table, so going with a bigger table is new to me. But I trust both of your opinions, thanks for chiming in.

poppins

Rough_Rock
Oh I see, I didn’t realize that different regions had more prominent prongs. Also, I am a bit hyper focused on prongs so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Yes, quite a difference isn't it! Not to say that delicate prongs do not exist, but in general many designs are sturdier than many of the rings I see on PS, also the ones that are more sleek and classic in style. I do not see many claw prongs. I would think that the market for really fine jewellery is completely different in the US and maybe it is hard to reach that top level of craftsmanship here that is displayed on PS, especially when it comes to advanced delicate pieces.

poppins

Rough_Rock
I have decided to pull the trigger next week when I can go back to the shop, I have a return window of two weeks. I really need to check this ring out in other lighting conditions than the shop or I will drive myself crazy. To make things complicated, the shop is not located where I live but I have cleared that I can do a return via mail should I not want to keep it. FYI the diamond scored 2.7 on HCA.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, you can’t go wrong with a return policy. Excited to see what you think of it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes you just get a feel about something and that’s all that matters. I say give it a shot! It’s a really sweet ring. Also, I’ve always had trouble with fit and so I totally understand the part about finding a ring that feels right in that way, as well.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely worth a try since it has a return policy! Let us know what you think!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I need some input. I stumbled across a preloved ring in my size 3.75 which does not happen very often. It is a 18 k white gold solitaire with a GIA triple Ex G/VS2 0.5 Stone. The angles are 35 respective 41 and the table is 59. I am aware of that this is not within the superideal range, but for a price of about 1995 USD, would you consider it? The ring fit like a glove on my finger which is really rare....Is it an ok stone by PS standards?

Lightbox ships unmentionable diamonds to europe. Might want to check other pages on this forum if you would like something larger in a ring for a better price. Just saying. :)

poppins

Rough_Rock
Lightbox ships unmentionable diamonds to europe. Might want to check other pages on this forum if you would like something larger in a ring for a better price. Just saying. :)

Thanks for the tip! But I am staying with the natural ones for now, I think. The mind clean thing...

poppins

Rough_Rock
So, I have picked the ring up. I enclose a better close-up picture. Unfortunately I have had a bad cold this past week and have not been able to "take it out". In my kitchen with LED-lights it looks fine as to my needs though . As for the prongs, with my eyesight I can hardly see them when the ring is at a normal distance, so the slight unevenness in size does not matter to me. Any spontaneous thoughts regarding the cut upon seeing this picture?
20211119_074154.jpg

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
So, I have picked the ring up. I enclose a better close-up picture. Unfortunately I have had a bad cold this past week and have not been able to "take it out". In my kitchen with LED-lights it looks fine as to my needs though . As for the prongs, with my eyesight I can hardly see them when the ring is at a normal distance, so the slight unevenness in size does not matter to me. Any spontaneous thoughts regarding the cut upon seeing this picture?
20211119_074154.jpg

Love the ring and the setting.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me you chose a stunning ring.
What I love about the design is it's so unusual.
You don't see a lot of rings like that and its unique too at the same time.
Also like the six prong setting.
Maybe just make them a little smaller and closer to the diamond?
Or flatten the tops of the prongs just a wee bit.
Shouldn't be that much of a cost to do that.
Don't know a lot about diamond cuts, but, it looks like a nice diamond to me.
Go to some of your local jewellers and see what they think and the quality of the stone.
Diamonds don't have to be perfect to be beautiful either. ;-)
And I sometimes I buy jewellery because I love it and it may not be the most expensive, perfect, highest quality, etc.,but, because simply put I LOVE IT.:kiss2:
It also looks like a lovely vintage ring too.
The important thing is that you love it.
And I love this ring too. :D

Last edited:

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
I have decided to pull the trigger next week when I can go back to the shop, I have a return window of two weeks. I really need to check this ring out in other lighting conditions than the shop or I will drive myself crazy. To make things complicated, the shop is not located where I live but I have cleared that I can do a return via mail should I not want to keep it. FYI the diamond scored 2.7 on HCA.

Great that you have that return window.
Have purchased jewellery from two local jewellers where I live.
And they've told me "if you don't absolutely love it...bring it back and you can choose something else or we'll design something for you.
Not sure what it means by the diamond scored 2.7 on HCA.
Am no gemologist nor a jeweller.
Just a girl who loves her jewellery. :kiss2:
And as Marilyn Monroe sang in her song "Diamonds are a girls best friend" ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty, very white and I imagine it has nice sparkle to it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
20211119_074154.jpg

I love it! It’s a beautiful diamond!

poppins

Rough_Rock
It’s pretty, very white and I imagine it has nice sparkle to it!

I love it! It’s a beautiful diamond!

Thank you!
Love the ring and the setting.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me you chose a stunning ring.
What I love about the design is it's so unusual.
You don't see a lot of rings like that and its unique too at the same time.
Also like the six prong setting.
Maybe just make them a little smaller and closer to the diamond?
Or flatten the tops of the prongs just a wee bit.
Shouldn't be that much of a cost to do that.
Don't know a lot about diamond cuts, but, it looks like a nice diamond to me.
Go to some of your local jewellers and see what they think and the quality of the stone.
Diamonds don't have to be perfect to be beautiful either. ;-)
And I sometimes I buy jewellery because I love it and it may not be the most expensive, perfect, highest quality, etc.,but, because simply put I LOVE IT.:kiss2:
It also looks like a lovely vintage ring too.
The important thing is that you love it.
And I love this ring too. :D

Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results