shape
carat
color
clarity

YADST - Yet Another Diamond Stud Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Obligatory appology for the long rambling post :)

Looking for round stud set for the DW ... I''m having a hard time. I''m thinking 1ct tw, though would be ok with a smidge smaller. We are not super flashy and she will probably wear these daily.

My local jeweler has 1.0ctw for $1995 ... they said SI3 or better and H color ... I gave a quick look but wasn''t really impressed out of the gate.
Macy''s is having a sale ... their upper end is marked $2800 but you get 30% off ... so about $1950 ... lots of sparkle ... just not sold on realilty of the look and sparkle (dept store lighting).

So I was thinking that I can get something with a lot of sparkle.

I did a "build your own" on blue nile and came up with:
Carat: .93 ct tw
Cut: Ideal
Color: G-H
Clarity: VS2-SI1
Polish: Ex
Symm: Ex
-----> $1929

Blue Nile''s 1.0 ct tw stud pre-made selection for $2025. There is a 20% off coupon online that makes them $1620! However, the stats are a range:
min size .96
min color I
min clarity SI2
min cut good

Am I a lot better off with the build your own set? Are the pre-made selections all going to hit the "minimums"? I really want the best sparkle.

Should I go back to the local jeweler and try to hand-pick the pieces?

I know this is a lot of thought for a set of earrings ... you should have seen me when I was researching her engagement ring a few years back!

Thanks in advance ...

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Suppose I could order both ... surprise her ... pick one and we send the other set back.

Or go down to ~.85 ct tw and save a few bucks or upgrade to signature ideal cut for the same price ...

Too many choices!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That will depend on what you consider "minimums." Do yourself a favor and have a good look at the Whiteflash site before making a decision. I would build them myself, not get "Ready Set Go" but that's just me. I want to be in control of the parameters.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies ... I forgot to say I'm was looking for white gold, 4 prong ... Whiteflash doesn't have Ready-Set-Go in white gold, though it looks like that's a small cost difference.

Danny, the minimums are stated above ...
40.gif
... if you mean my minimums ... then it's what I used for build your own ...

I guess also ... I'm trying to stay under 2k unless something unbelievable or a huge deal pops up.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:01:25 PM
Author:noblemish
Obligatory appology for the long rambling post :)

Looking for round stud set for the DW ... I''m having a hard time. I''m thinking 1ct tw, though would be ok with a smidge smaller. We are not super flashy and she will probably wear these daily.

My local jeweler has 1.0ctw for $1995 ... they said SI3 or better and H color ... I gave a quick look but wasn''t really impressed out of the gate.

Should I go back to the local jeweler and try to hand-pick the pieces?

Thanks in advance ...
You mention SI3, this means the diamonds in question will be EGL graded, GIA and AGS do not use this grade, EGL only. EGL are said to be less strict on grading in some circumstances than the aforementioned labs.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold ... thanks! Yes, the SI3 part scares me. I know I'm looking for earings and the quality can be sacrificed a bit ... but SI3 leaves me a little uneasy.

I really like the .50's you found ... I think after a lot of searching, my budget puts me in the .85-.95 range ...

D'OH ... I didn't see the "White Gold" tab on WhiteFlash
37.gif

Edit: --- I also went back and edited a post (should have done a new one, but didn't think anyone replied at 5am!)

"I guess also ... I'm trying to stay under 2k unless something unbelievable or a huge deal pops up."

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lotttttt!
9.gif

I shot them an email earlier ... looks like they are closed Mondays (will call tomorrow) ... those stones look to be a good match for what I''m looking for ...

I really like the analysis on their site ...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 7:34:38 AM
Author: noblemish
Thanks a lotttttt!
9.gif

I shot them an email earlier ... looks like they are closed Mondays (will call tomorrow) ... those stones look to be a good match for what I''m looking for ...

I really like the analysis on their site ...
GOG do close on Mondays.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, good luck.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Think the jump from I to H is worth it?

Gary, I don''t quite follow ... should I be looking for something different?

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Gary ... with all due respect ... I'm not a jeweler or a mind reader. I still can't figure out what you're trying to tell me.
41.gif

I read the link. I went off to the actual cut advisor ...

The 2 that Stone-Cold provided scored 1:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/I264620/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/I277613/

Edit: Are you trying to tell me that I want to look for a target in the Pendant and Earring stones area (more brightness)?

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Gary, any tips on searching?

I''m having a hard time finding stones (with data) to even see one that moves near brightness levels ...

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only searching on BlueNile.

Found these 2.

0.5c F SI1
58.7% depth, 58% table, 32.5° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle HCA = 0.9, diameter 5.18-5.22mm, $ 926
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01477659?filter_id=0

58.8% depth, 58% table, 32.5° crown angle, 40.4° pavilion angle HCA = 1.2, diameter 5.19-5.24mm, $ 895
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-good-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01478087?filter_id=0

But I think they are hold by two different jewelers as if you try searching by pairs you will not find these. So I think if you are interested, you will have to give BN a call and state that you want these two for studs. Good Luck.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Thanks for following up on me Stone-Cold!!!

I called GOG about your 2nd set of recommendations and they emailed me the data very promptly!

I placed the order today :)

The 2 BN ones that you just found look awesome as well! Seem to better fit the HCA range that Garry suggests ...

In an ideal world I''d get to see them side-by-side and choose ... GOG''s images takes away so many unknowns ...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem, I was trying to see how hard it will be to find these cuts, quite hard actually. :razz: Having pics to verify the numbers are much better for the heart.

Good luck with the GOG studs, post some pics here when you get them, if you will.

noblemish

Rough_Rock
I''ll post pics! :) ...

I really appreciate your efforts!!! I searched for over 3 hours last night!!! Wanted to give it a good shot before I threw in the white flag!

noblemish

Rough_Rock
They got here yesterday and they look great! As you all know, pictures don't do diamonds justice!!! Sarah from GoodOldGold was a pleasure to work with :) ...

Soooo what I'd left out is that we're expecting our first child any moment ... right now we're a few days past the due date ... and I wanted to get my wife something nice. She's been working full time up until this week, and she works hard! She doesn't complain (much) ... and has been a real trooper the whole pregnancy.

Her first mother's day is just a few days away! I also thought this would help pull her through the home stretch ... anyways ... thanks so much for your help here! :) ... she looooves them! I'll post ear shots later ... it took me forever to get some decent shots to post!

I went with the 2 that Stone-Cold provided

My wife's engagement ring is a 1.49 Emerald H VS2 surrounded by trapezoids. The sparkle on these rounds is yeeeeowwww! And they totally blew my socks off compared to some of the stuff I've seen when hunting locally.

noblem_IMG_0124.jpg

noblemish

Rough_Rock
messing with lighting

noblem_IMG_0118.jpg

noblemish

Rough_Rock
more messin''

noblem_IMG_0114.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Beautiful!

noblemish

Rough_Rock
Ok one of her engagement ring ... this pic is about 2 1/2 years old ...

makes me want to re-take the earring shots ... lol ... I''m a perfectionist
41.gif

noblem_precious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results