shape
carat
color
clarity

XXX .9 on HCA, GIA x, spready, but shows outside of EX on chart?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am considering an upgrade. To keep the upgrade credit from my .82 solitaire, I will return to Ritani to upgrade. I want the same yellow-gold knife solitaire RB I have, just larger (DSS problems!).
I found this stone. I like the spread factor (I am eyeing the budget) It scores a GIA XXX (covering cert number as it is not on hold yet). It looks awesome on the HCA, but it graphs as though it would not be a GIA Excellent. Can anyone help me understand why these do not line up? I struggle with angles and really understanding the nitty gritty sometimes. Thanks!
upgrade.png
graph.png

Last edited:

magpie2

Rough_Rock
I had a similar experience recently and discovered GIA facetware while trying to make sense of things (it's on the GIA site - it's free). Unsurprisingly, given that your stone got a GIA triple EX grading, it checks out on their programme. So, I looked at another site which gives both GIA and AGS grade guides. On there, the diamond fell just outside the GIA range. Can't say why that's the case, but I can tell you - according to that chart - if your diamond had a crown angle of 32.5 degrees it would have potentially made AGS 0 and GIA EX or if the pavilion angle was 41.1 with a crown of 32 it would have potentially made AGS0. You'll find that the 32 crown is not to everyone's taste, but the GIA facetware indicated a 13.1% crown height, should any commentators be interested.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you MagPie.

Not sure if this gif will work.
Hmm, not sure now. Do you think it's okay?
PS: I like low colored diamonds :)

chrome-capture.gif

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Click the booklet (cut estimate table). There is an explanation for borderline EX-VG stones.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

magpie2

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm not really qualified to comment, and the gif moving all the time doesn't really help in assessing how well cut the stone is. But, having said that, there is a point where some pretty good looking arrows appear. If you could take a shot of that view and post it, I'm sure those who really know their stuff will give you some advice.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, magpie :) This may be more helpful.

screenshot (7).png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
60/60 diamonds aren't my favorite, so I personally probably wouldn't choose it, but I think it is pretty good overall.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
60/60 diamonds aren't my favorite, so I personally probably wouldn't choose it, but I think it is pretty good overall.

I don’t think this is a 60/60 diamond it has a 58 table and 60 depth so in my opinion it doesn’t fall in that range.....

Would a 56 or 57 table with a 60 depth be considered 60/60 ?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think this is a 60/60 diamond it has a 58 table and 60 depth so in my opinion it doesn’t fall in that range.....

Would a 56 or 57 table with a 60 depth be considered 60/60 ?

whoops! My bad. I looked at the pic and crown/pav and assumed. It's not actually a 60/60. I'm overall not a fan of it the more I look at it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don’t find the large table reflection aesthetically pleasing.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
This is almost exactly the proportions of my engagement ring diamond and I absolutely adore it!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is almost exactly the proportions of my engagement ring diamond and I absolutely adore it!

Is this your avitar? I think it's beautiful.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is so close to my stats! Do you see much fire? I do want to see some fire. HCA indicates I will, but that is a concern (still debating diamonds and thinking about options).
The fire shots definitely exist under certain lighting, but I haven’t been able to capture the long shots. However, the stone is insanely bright and clear in almost every lighting!
F2800A55-BD9B-41FE-B39C-9B96C4439668.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Winetime12. It's very pretty.

I did decide to go with it. Sometimes "almost" is a good compromise. This may well be upgraded again and I was trying to keep the price down to keep my upgrade amount easier next time. This is a 2nd e-ring of mine for me.

It's still puzzling to me that the facetware puts the crown at 13.1% when the cert lists it at 13.5 %. Also the charts show it as VG, but GIA is showing X, as is the HCA. I can post the cert now.

A lucky diamond, it was graded on my birthday :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did decide to go with it. Sometimes "almost" is a good compromise. This may well be upgraded again and I was trying to keep the price down to keep my upgrade amount easier next time. This is a 2nd e-ring of mine for me.

It's still puzzling to me that the facetware puts the crown at 13.1% when the cert lists it at 13.5 %. Also the charts show it as VG, but GIA is showing X, as is the HCA. I can post the cert now.

Sweet - your diamond is a med florescent too. Do you have a UV Light? It is so fun to "see" what changes colors with ultraviolet.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MMtwo I saw in your other thread that the GIA cert is on your birthday - it was meant to be. Brittany said my ring would be 2 weeks in shop but I don't know if that includes getting the ring from Stuller, I bet I'll get mine about the same time as yours. I can hardly wait.

I do, the little stone I am upgrading was strong blue. I played with it like a little kid. Love that yours is med fluorescent too. My last one was strong
20210117_080429.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do, the little stone I am upgrading was strong blue. I played with it like a little kid. Love that yours is med fluorescent too. My last one was strong
20210117_080429.jpg

It is fun to play with. Some of my sapphires really change colors. My EC is a medium florescent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Meant to be yours! :love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those proportions should make AGS 0 but AGs also have stricter polish and symmetry requirements.
GIA facet ware and GIA lab grades often deviate by a lot. e.g. the way GIA work is to add the crown height, girdle thickness and pavilion depth - and in theory that must fall at max 63% - yet even by that rule this stone adds to 63.5% and still managed Excellent.

The human approach to apply depth % (used for at least 100 years) is to calculate the depth % as a factor of the average diameter (for a round, or the width for other shapes). Please don't ask me why GIA use their approach or I will have to tell you my opinion, and it is disrespectful to criticise people from other nations.
1614566396766.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am considering an upgrade. To keep the upgrade credit from my .82 solitaire, I will return to Ritani to upgrade. I want the same yellow-gold knife solitaire RB I have, just larger (DSS problems!).
I found this stone. I like the spread factor (I am eyeing the budget) It scores a GIA XXX (covering cert number as it is not on hold yet). It looks awesome on the HCA, but it graphs as though it would not be a GIA Excellent. Can anyone help me understand why these do not line up? I struggle with angles and really understanding the nitty gritty sometimes. Thanks!
upgrade.png
graph.png

If you can not focus closer than 12 inches you will love that diamond and it has a bigger spread.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If you can not focus closer than 12 inches you will love that diamond and it has a bigger spread.

shallow girl gif.gif

At 56, I'm going to love this diamond ;-) heh.
Thanks for helping me out on this one. Great illustration, thanks.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Those proportions should make AGS 0 but AGs also have stricter polish and symmetry requirements.
GIA facet ware and GIA lab grades often deviate by a lot. e.g. the way GIA work is to add the crown height, girdle thickness and pavilion depth - and in theory that must fall at max 63% - yet even by that rule this stone adds to 63.5% and still managed Excellent.

The human approach to apply depth % (used for at least 100 years) is to calculate the depth % as a factor of the average diameter (for a round, or the width for other shapes). Please don't ask me why GIA use their approach or I will have to tell you my opinion, and it is disrespectful to criticise people from other nations.
1614566396766.png

I just saw this post too. Thank you so much for explaining. I appreciate the HCA tool. So helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results