shape
carat
color
clarity

X-Z colour diamonds vs fancy yellows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fireopal

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone..

New to this forum.

Got a question with regards to X-Z colour diamonds which appear yellow... how do we differentiate these from the real fancy yellows?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It would be best to use a major lab report to help you differentiate, as the price starts to go up rapidly once you hit Fancy Light Yellow.

W-X Light Yellow
Y-Z Light Yellow
Fancy Light Yellow
Fancy Yellow
Fancy Intense Yellow
Fancy Vivid Yellow

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Differentiation can be tricky. I just saw a diamond report from a top tier lab with a Y-Z (light brown) color grade. It appeared more yellow than brown to me.

Jeff Averbook, G.G.
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser
www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

fireopal

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help..

i bought the stones.. getting them customed set into a ring with 3 stones

zjhog

Rough_Rock

To clarify a bit: I do think that FLY is not a better description than Q/R or R/S. I''d prefer to see people being properly informed that the Light Fancy colors of yellow are really below a "fancy" designation. However, I''m not in charge of the major labs or the thinking of marketing gurus. They have found that folks buy the company line that these pale yellows are somehow "rare". People tend to follow the leader. Its a natural market force at work. Of course, one should not buy what one does not like or want. People make mistakes all the time and we will never prevent them from making impulsive purchases. I find many FLY stones far less attractive than other equal cost alternatives, but I am appraising them and not looking at them as a consumer.

One should buy a diamond because they want to buy it or to give it to someone. They ought to appreciate its beauty and look less upon it as an engineering project or a business enterprise. The entire issue of "rarity" creating the value is a question I have often raised. I have always found it very difficult to think that the actual rarity of diamonds conveniently slots into D/IF at the most rare of the colorless stones and R/S I3 as the least "rare". I am certain that the grades and rarity are a construct of DeBeers more than the facts of exactly the rarity of each quality combination which comes out of the mines. I have no proof of this belief, but have never seen any general evidence that nature is so neat and orderly in its behavior, either.
David S. Atlas
THIS is what i want to to for me , for my wife but at a cost effective the diamond is pear face up def. light yellow but face down yellow is not as apparent. i would like to submit to gia . shoul i submit as fancy where they grade face up or as regular diamond grading face down. face up u-fancy light but face down o-st when set in white gold gets was out when set in 14kt yellow is more apparent what abot green gold.
price 800/ct total 1.4 ct long shape 10x5.8.
any ideas appr.
thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I own a 1 ct round Y/Z and also a 1 ct round W/X, both with old GIA papers which used split color grades. I am pretty sure the Y/Z would get a Fancy GIA designation today and the W/X might even get it. For sure, I think the W/X would be a very strong Light Fancy color. I have seen Light Fancy designations on Q/R color stones, so it is open season when it comes to whatever the "system" actually is and where Fancy actually begins with the keeper of the "standards".

A dealer or individual uses the way things are as the way they need to act in the market. If a diamond would get a Light Fancy grade, then it must be graded from the top. If it does not make Light Fancy, then it will get graded from the side although in some non-round shapes one considers the top view to an extent. Why not a bit of further subjectivity? We all like mysteries and this is the game. It is a fun game and not life and death decision making. You always buy what you appreciate anyway and no two individuals always agree on grading anyway.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My experience seems to be quite a bit different from yours Dave. You seem to view GIA fancy color and light yellow grading as quite subjective and chaotic, whereas they seem to be pretty consistent in my experience. A W-X diamond is pretty much the same today as it was two decades ago, from my experience.

Why don''t you have your Y-Z and W-X stones re-certified if you think they''ll get a fancy designation? The difference in value between the two would certainly make it worthwhile, and it would be interesting to see if GIA''s grading has really softened in this area like you maintain.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2007 6:20:30 PM
Author: oldminer
I own a 1 ct round Y/Z and also a 1 ct round W/X, both with old GIA papers which used split color grades. I am pretty sure the Y/Z would get a Fancy GIA designation today and the W/X might even get it. For sure, I think the W/X would be a very strong Light Fancy color. I have seen Light Fancy designations on Q/R color stones, so it is open season when it comes to whatever the ''system'' actually is and where Fancy actually begins with the keeper of the ''standards''.

A dealer or individual uses the way things are as the way they need to act in the market. If a diamond would get a Light Fancy grade, then it must be graded from the top. If it does not make Light Fancy, then it will get graded from the side although in some non-round shapes one considers the top view to an extent. Why not a bit of further subjectivity? We all like mysteries and this is the game. It is a fun game and not life and death decision making. You always buy what you appreciate anyway and no two individuals always agree on grading anyway.
True..., but only the end consumer looses...
Consumers (and dealers too) rely on the ''verdict'' reputable Laboratories are issuing on Diamonds..., especially when it comes to colored Diamonds...
When a consumers shops specificaly for a report with the magic word "Fancy", usualy Fancy Light..., in my opinion he is actually purchasing a dark-cape at a sick premium! And that is not fair game!

I just think its a pity that the grading system for fancy colors (especially the majority..., yellow) have gone backward instead of forward.

If you would purchase these two Y/Z and W/X Diamonds these days..., you would probably have to pay twice (maybe even more..., after all..., they are RB''s)..., then I am sorry..., something is wrong with this picture!

Again..., just my humble opinion on this subject!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/27/2007 6:46:20 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
My experience seems to be quite a bit different from yours Dave. You seem to view GIA fancy color and light yellow grading as quite subjective and chaotic, whereas they seem to be pretty consistent in my experience. A W-X diamond is pretty much the same today as it was two decades ago, from my experience.

Why don''t you have your Y-Z and W-X stones re-certified if you think they''ll get a fancy designation? The difference in value between the two would certainly make it worthwhile, and it would be interesting to see if GIA''s grading has really softened in this area like you maintain.
Richard..., I have seen with my own eyes (back at least 7-8 years ago) how professional Fancy Colored dealers bought up of the market old dark yellow Diamonds with GIA reports stating Letters as color grades and simply resubmitting them and receiving the magic word...

Yes..., there were Diamonds that were re-cut to make sure they earn the magic words..., but there were plenty of untouched Diamonds too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results