shape
carat
color
clarity

X Prong to fit an emerald cut diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepperell

Rough_Rock
Does Vatche (or any other company) make an x prong shaped setting that would fit (and more importantly look ok with) an rectangular emerald cut diamond (~1.4 L/W ratio). Pics would be a huge bonus too.

Thanks.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
SOrry don't remember exactly where but i've seen pictures of the X-prong with an emerald cut. I think it looked great.

pepperell

Rough_Rock
i checked out those rings on icestore and they do have slightly rectangular cuts but i''m wondering if you can go to a real rectangular stone and not have the mounting be too wide. it looks like a requirement to the design is that the prongs bend up from a band of almost equal width of the stone. if you have a long rectangular stone, then the band looks like it might have to be jsut as wide... which i think takes away entirely from the elegance of an emerald cut.

or is this not the case?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
This isnt the x-prong, but this is a three-stone emerald ring they make.

736-b.gif

Give them a call... im sure they would be able to make it if they dont already. They used to have pears and other fancy shapes on their website... they dont any more.

pepperell

Rough_Rock
will give em a call. thanks.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful setting, good luck!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an example... just a thought.

There's no reason not to make a rectangular trellis ring... and it shouldn't be too hard if the crossed prongs are custom made for the stone out of platinum wire.

There is a rectangular Lucida ring by Tiffany... it looks great! LINK

engagement_lucida_rectangular.jpg

Vatche's Xprong is a cousin of the Lucida anyway.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Pepperell,

I actually had an x-prong mounting made to fit my rectangular emerald cut (l/w ratio - 1.5). Luckily, the mounting was returnable because it ended up looking very heavy and thick. It was actually kind of odd looking. Maybe that was the fault of the manufacturer, but I think that might not be the best choice for a longer stone. That's just my experience, though. Talk to different designers and see what their opinions are. Good luck with whatever you decide...and, of course, post pictures when it's done
1.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pepperell:

Vatche will customize the setting for you. It takes about 4 -6 weeks and the price will be higher.

Good luck!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Pepperell:

Here''s a picture to give you an idea of an x-prong with baguettes that was custom made by Vatche. The diamond in the center is a rectangular Spring Cut from the days when we sold them.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Spring cut Xprong.JPG

pepperell

Rough_Rock
thanks lesley

like that spring cut. and the ring doesn''t look to heavy overall (that was my worry).

but now another variable has been added. my GF''s sisters are not sure if my she especially likes ECs or just the rectangular shape of the stone. now i have to search thru all the rectangular cuts to see if there''s something she''d like.

hmmmm, emerald, cushion, ... too many choices!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2005 4:57:12 PM
Author: pepperell

but now another variable has been added. my GF's sisters are not sure if my she especially likes ECs or just the rectangular shape of the stone
Can you ask her ?
31.gif

I think the usual "rectangular" stone would be a radiant. Cushions do not come in elongated shapes all that often to be the refference.

The Vatche ring looks great and I don't think you could go wrong with them.

In case you do not order from Vatche, perhaps this detail might help. There seems to be an obvious difference between the square X-prong and the rectangular: the square x-prong gets the wires of the prongs crossed underneath the diamond (so a prong starting on one sides ends on the other) ; on the rectangular version the prongs cross on the same side so there is no "wiring" under the stone. This must be what keeps the ring from getting too high & havy
34.gif

pepperell

Rough_Rock
I was trying to figure out how they were different. I didn''t realize vatche could customize their rings so readily.

I started looking at how many cut could be made with rectangular shapes and it really is going to be a daunting process figuring out which one.

I am pretty much dedicated to ordering a stone online, but how do you go about getting multiple stones sent to an appraiser to see what they look like in real life? I would really like to see a good example of each of these before I buy (also, am I missing any obvious ones?):

Emerald
Rect. Cushion
Radiant
Princess

-- Is there a significant difference in price/carat for these cuts?

-- As you elongate some of the square cuts do they start to have less than optimal characteristics?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2005 10:55:45 AM
Author: pepperell

-- Is there a significant difference in price/carat for these cuts?

princesses might be a bit more because they are more popular, but no, not really.

-- As you elongate some of the square cuts do they start to have less than optimal characteristics?

rectangular princess cuts miught have a very visible bow-tie. I can't say I've seen all rectangular princess cuts through... there might be exceptions. Non-square princess cuts are usually discounted just because this cut is "expected" to be square. So if you find a nice one, good for you.
About getting multiple stones lined up at an appraiser's shop... well, this is between you, the seller and the appraiser. Hopefully something will work out without your having to pay in advance for ALL the stones!

There doesn't seem to be any "official" procedure. It seems that the usual way is to shop around locally to get an impression of the different shapes, grades and sizes.
7.gif

pepperell

Rough_Rock
Oh and I''m working with her sisters to try to get more info out of her about what she''d like. It''s important I think, that the proposal be a surprise so asking her outright is out of the question.

A sister is getting her e-ring cleaned this weekend and she going to try to get my GF to come along.

murray93

Rough_Rock
Check out Jeff Cooper designs.

http://www.jeffcooperdesigns.com/

Design #R2990

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results