shape
carat
color
clarity

X-Prong = Lucida setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TigerWoods

Rough_Rock
Is the X-prong a copy of Tiffany''s Lucida? How similar are they? Exactly the same or almost the same?

Which came first? X-prong or Lucida? Chicken or the egg?

Also, is x-prong meant for a round stone or a Lucida-like squarish stone?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi,
It's funny you should ask because I was in NYC today looking at the Xprong by Vatche and I also stopped by Tiffany's because I had to get my wedding bands polished and stopped by the 2nd floor to look at the Lucida rings.
As far as I could see, the Lucida and the X prong are exactly alike, including the thickness of the prongs and the band itself.
The only difference is that you can only buy a "Lucida" cut diamond from Tiffany's.
In fact, when I asked the salesperson if they made the setting with round diamonds, she sarcastically said "NO, and if you do find a lucida setting with a round diamond, it is a knockoff. We have a patent on this cut and design". You would think she owned Tiffany's or something!
rolleyes.gif

I wanted to tell her that Vatche manufactures their Lucida settings, the x prong is not a copy, it is the same exact thing, made by the same exact people. So there are many people with the Lucida setting and a round diamond, and a princess cut, and a radiant,etc., etc., and they do have the REAL thing. But why waste my time.
So basically, there really is no difference. Oh, except for price. Just to let you know, I asked for the price of a 1.51 Lucida in platinum H VS1 and it was over $20,000.
Another thing, their Lucida's come cut as princess and as radiant cuts (square or rectangular), but I couldn't tell if it was cut cornered. It doesn't really matter though, because the prongs cover it anyway.
You are better off buying a nice princess or radiant cut and getting the x prong and saving $10,000. Then, for 5 bucks, you can have Tiffany&Co PT950 engraved in the band.
And to answer your last question, the x prong can fit many different shaped diamonds, it's just a personal preference.
Good luck!!!!

2.gif
13.gif

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Here's a vendor on Ebay that has some x-prong settings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2611244404&category=11088

carbon

Rough_Rock
Actually, I'd rather have the X-Prong with DVatche (the designer/artist/creator) inscribed in it than a store name... I'm hoping my lady feels the same way
1.gif
which is why I just purchased an X-Prong with a Round stone.

I am most pleased with the results
lickout.gif

I was travelling and just got back to town so pictures and a full report of my buying experience will be posted shortly... hopefully tonight for anyone that's interested.

stewie

Rough_Rock
I wonder if anyone can confirm this... that Vatche manufactures the Lucida band and setting. I'm highly skeptical. My gf knew right away that the picture of the x-prong I showed her was NOT the Lucida band. In fact, I can see her point, they do look different, tho I can't put my finger on it.

But I hear all the time that the vatche x-prong is the EXACT same design made by the EXACT same company... can anyone confirm it? Cuz quite frankly, I'm not buying it.

TigerWoods

Rough_Rock
I'm with Stewie. I've only heard it from someone in this forum...i'd like to know if someone can back it up....

does tiffany's negotiate at all? even if you play hardball with the store manager and drop cold hard cash on the counter (in a take it or leave it manner).....or are they the ones saying "take it or leave it". because that makes no sense to me when they will still make a tidy proft. Is tiffany's motto "rip them off huge or go home"?

kt

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to say that the snooty people at Tiffany are pretty much "non-negotiable". My parents DECADES ago found this out as well, and I know people who have asked...pretty much "if you have to ask, you can't afford us" attitude. "
rolleyes.gif

As for the setting, I think the vatche looks identical to the Tiffany Lucida, it's pretty hard to tell unless you are scrutinizing both together up close.

stewie

Rough_Rock
I posted this story before, but it seems appropriate to mention it again: I showed my gf a picture I found on the net, probably from one of the online jewellers - it was a vatche x-prong with a Lucere diamond. Looked great. So I tried passing off the picture to her as a Tiffany Lucida. She knew immediately that something was not right about it. Still a beautiful ring, but if you're trying to make an exact replica, no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results