shape
carat
color
clarity

WWT ''''Healthier'''' Recipes Thread...Post Your Recipes Here!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Per discussion in the WWT''''s....this is an ongoing thread with just healthy-ish or ''''lighter'''' version recipes posted by WWT''''ers or PS''''ers.

Please ONLY post recipes and any comments about making the recipe or results. Any DISCUSSION or REVIEWS on the recipes posted here can be posted about in the WWT as we do now....we just want to keep this a recipe only thread to make it easier for people to find what they need.

Ideally when you post a recipe, put in calorie information and if you have it, fat, fiber, protein etc. If you don''''t have that, just put what you have.

For readers, you can always calculate out the recipe yourself using
www.calorie-count.com for ingredients or just by making the recipe yourself and then writing down what you used and calculating it using the nutritional information found on most packaged goods (aka flour, eggs, milk, etc all have it listed on each container).

So here''''s one I have posted a few times in the WWT....Oat Bran muffins with various fruits!!

Oat Bran Muffins (with apples, cranberries and raisins!)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups oat bran
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk (i nixed this completely as i didn''''t have it!)
1/4 cup flaxseed (i made this 3/4 cup flaxseed! more fiber!)
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (i think i put in more like 6..mmm cinammon makes everything better right rod?!)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrot (i didn''''t have a carrot so instead i put in about 1/3 cup of cranberries)
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
1 cup raisins (i only used about 1/2 cup because i put in the cranberries which can be high calorie)
1 cup fat-free milk ( i used 1%)
1/4 cup canola oil (i only put in about 2 tablespoons of enova)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 thin-skinned orange, unpeeled and quartered (i nixed this because i didn''''t have an orange plus with the cranberries the fruit thing was outta control!)
Cooking spray or cupcake paper cups
(NOTE...i also added 2/3 cup of boiling hot water to the dry mixture and let it sit for about 5 minutes, i read on another bran muffin recipe that doing this makes for a more tender moist muffin as it lets the brans and flaxseed ''''absorb'''' a bit of the water before baking..i felt okay adding this additional liquid because i added extra flax seed which i figure could use the extra moisture to help absorbtion!!)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and the next 8 ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in carrot(cranberries!), apple, and raisins.

Combine milk, oil, vanilla, egg whites, and orange in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. (I didn''''t do the food processor, I just whisked for a few minutes since I didn''''t have the orange in there). Make a well in center of flour mixture; add milk mixture; stir just until moist.

Spoon 3 tablespoons batter into each of 28 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake in batches at 375° for 20 minutes or until muffins are browned and spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack.
Yield: 28 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 114(22% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 3.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 61mg; SODIUM 188mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.6g. Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

NOTE: I figure with my modifications the calories might be closer to 160 esp since I tend to make my muffins a bit bigger than the recipe (i will end up with more like 20 muffins intead of 28) so that also accounts for most of the extra calories. But either way, 114 or 160, it''''s still a great snack with lots of fiber (more than the recipe if you add the additional flaxseed like i did) and fresh fruit and dried fruit and all sorts of yummy cinammon vanilla goodness.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is the famous Turkey Mushroom Lasagna....which a few of us PS'ers have made. we love this dish.

Mushroom Turkey Lasagna

One package Jennie O lean ground turkey: 20 oz: 600 cals, 7.5g of fat
Sliced fresh mushrooms: 10oz: 60 cals, 0g of fat (added about another 15cals worth from another container as well, love mushrooms)
Jar of Emeril's Gaahlic Sauce: 480 cals, 20g of fat
1/2 Cup of Water: 0 cals, 0 fat
Hunt's Tomato Sauce Can: 105 cals, 0g of fat
1.1 Cup Diced Onions: 75 cals
Tablespoon Diced Garlic: 0 cals
Tablespoon Dried Oregano: 20 cals (you could use fresh for more flavor)
Few shakes of Dried Basil: 10 cals
Shredded Skim LowFat Mozzarella (I find the bags may vary a bit in servings and cals): 80 cals per 1/3 cup (2.5 cups used: 600 cals)
Shredded Parmesan Cheese: 1/2 cup in recipe: 140 cals
1% Cottage Cheese, 1 Container: 280 cals
1 egg & 1 egg white: 100 cals
Barillo No Boil Lasagna: 9 pieces: 570 cals

3060/8 servings: 382.5 calories per serving
I didn't really track fat but you can do it when you make it and calculate it out...I figure it's close to the CL recipe estimation since I used mostly what they suggested, just diff portion sizes of certain things to 'tweak' it'...and more sauce.

Spray large pan with EVOO. Saute garlic and onion in it for a minute or two over medium heat. Add turkey, oregano and basil, and saute with garlic and onion for about 5-10 minutes til mostly cooked through. Add mushrooms, sauce and 1/2 cup water and bring to simmer, simmer for 5-7 minutes. (Then I take the sauce, pour it into a bowl and let it sit in the fridge, covered for up to a day OR I have made this sauce part in the morning before work then made the lasagna that evening and it's worked out well too).

Mix 2 cups of mozzarella, all parmesan and cottage cheese with the egg. In a rectangular casserole dish, put some of the meat sauce on the bottom, then pasta on top, pour a bit of the plain canned tomato sauce over both. Put another layer of meat sauce down, then the cottage cheese mixture (spread), then pasta. Pour more canned tomato sauce over pasta. Layer one more time, ending with meat on top. (If you can't layer one more time then I just put regular tomato sauce down, then pasta, then cottage cheese so I can then top and end with meat).

Cover and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozz cheese over top of lasagna then cook another 10 minutes (I usually uncover it and broil it at this point to get a bit of browning on the cheese which we like). Let rest for 10 minutes then cut and serve.

NOTE....I have said this before but this recipe is best after it sits for a few days or so...so don't worry about having leftovers...it tastes really yummy. To heat it up again, I typically take out 2-3 servings and put them into a small baking dish then heat in the oven at about 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle a bit more fresh mozz onto the pieces if you want. YUM! Also I did not add salt into the recipe, so add it to the meat and herb sauce to your taste.

ETA....Feb 7: I made this 2 weeks ago with some more adaptations and it wasa by far the best version we've had so far. What I changed:
--used Dreamfields regular lasagna (it's got extra fiber in it...but you can use a regular boil (crinkly and thick) lasagna too easily)
--used a blend of shitake and baby bella mushrooms (had them in the fridge and it gave the lasagna a whole new flavor!!)
--use Emeril's Kicked Up Tomato sauce instead of his Gahhlic one (adds a bit more of a 'kick' but it's not too spicy at all...just enough xtra flavor)

The nutritional information is basically the same with the mods, the dreamfields pasta is like 10 cals more per 2 sheets so it might add a bit, the mushrooms are basically the same as well as the tomato sauce is about the same. So if anything it probably adds 10 cals or less to each serving. But the thicker regular type pasta is much better for this dish and the blend of diff mushrooms and spicy tomato sauce was divine. I can't wait to make it that way again. And it got huge raves from Greg and his Mom who was visiting, hehe.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is a French Toast Casserole from Cooking Light that we made for New Years day breakfast, it was DIVINE. I made a few adaptations, see below.

Marmalade French Toast Casserole

Grapefruit or mixed fruit marmalade will work just as well as the orange marmalade called for in the recipe. Serve the casserole with honey or pancake syrup warmed with orange rind and a splash of orange juice (add one teaspoon rind and two tablespoons juice per 1/2 cup syrup). This easy casserole can be assembled in less than 15 minutes and stored in the refrigerator overnight.

3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 (16-ounce) sourdough French bread loaf, cut into 24 (1/2-inch) slices (I used french toast bread actually)
Cooking spray
1 (12-ounce) jar orange marmalade (I mixed sugar free and regular and only used about 1/2 a jar)
2 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 large eggs (I used mostly egg whites with about 2 regular eggs)
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts

Spread softened butter on one side of each bread slice. Arrange 12 bread slices, buttered side down, slightly overlapping in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread marmalade evenly over bread; top with remaining 12 bread slices, buttered side up.
Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs), stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sprinkle casserole with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 piece)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 293(28% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 3.2g,mono 2.2g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 9.1g; CHOLESTEROL 116mg; CALCIUM 132mg; SODIUM 315mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.4g

NOTE...I actually used a mixture of regular marmalade and sugar-free marmalade from Smuckerse. The Sugar Free on it's own was a bit too weird tasting but mixed in with regular then baked into the casserole it tasted fine, totally normal. And saves a fair amount of calories. I also seriously cut back the sugar, and used some Sweet Leaf instead. I also used mostly egg whites. Lastly, I halved the recipe which can then be basically made in a square 9x9 baker dish...it was enough for about 2-3 servings depending on how much you wanted to eat. One serving was really filling!! Serve it with your favorite sugar-free syrup and it's guilt free!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and last one for now (though I have more!!)...Lighter verison of Martha's Macaroni and Cheese. I used to make the regular version which was probably not that great for us..but this adapted version was REALLY yummy, Greg loved it ...and to us it honestly tasted like the regular version but with way less calories and fat.

Lighter Mac n'Cheese: (adapted from the Martha Stewart mac n'cheese)

2 dry cups macaroni or elbow type pasta (~2.5 servings): 540 cals
1 cup 1% milk: 120
1 tablespoon flour: 35
1/2 tablespoons butter: 50
1 tsp cayenne pepper: 5
1 tsp nutmeg: 10
1 tsp paprika: 5
1 bay leaf: 0
1 tsp pepper: 10
1 tsp salt: 5
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese: 240 cals
1/4 cup shredded gruyere: 120 cals
1/4+ cup shredded parm: 120 cals
1.5 slices of 50ish cal bread: 75
1 tsp truffle oil: 50 cals

1395 calories total.

now for the servings. i ate about a 1/4 but a slightly larger 1/4. greg ate about 1/2, but a slightly larger 1/2. there's a slice left that is a little less than 1/4. so i guess it's about 3-4 servings depending on how you cut. i made it in a 4x6 rectangular baker dish. also, i typically slightly overestimate my calories a bit when i am cooking so it might be a little less here or there. you can adapt as you need to..aka add more cheese, or a bit more butter or whatever.

directions:
heat up water in a medium size pot to boiling. add the pasta and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. in the meantime, melt the butter in a medium size pot. mix in the flour and whisk together to make a roux. slowly add the milk, whisking the whole time. when it's all combined, keep whisking for about a minute. the milk, butter, and flour should be fairly thick at this point. throw in the bay leaf and the cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. mix in. slowly add in the cheddar, gruyere and parmesan cheese, whisking to combine. cheese should melt fairly quickly and thicken the sauce. drain and rinse the cooked pasta. slowly add the pasta into the cheese sauce, mix to combine. put the 1.5 slices of bread into a mini food processor and pulse a few times. pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the baking dish and shake out the bread crumbs to cover the top. spray the top of the bread crumbs with either evoo or a butter spray to coat slightly. bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, broil to get top crispy for 5 minutes. let sit for 5 minutes, then cut and serve.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
I'm adding the Pumpkin Spice Bran Muffins that have been a hit in the WWT this week, as well as another basic recipe for Blueberry Muffins that can be adapted as any flavor you want. Neither recipe is overly sweet.

Pumpkin Spice Bran Muffins
• 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
• 1-1/4 cup wheat bran
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 1 cup white whole wheat flour (also called whole wheat pastry flour)
• Pinch salt
• 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (add more if you like cinnamon and spice)
• 2 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, bran, oil, and sugar. Stir in the eggs and buttermilk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, spices, baking soda and baking powder. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just until mixed.
Lightly grease the wells of a muffin pan with cooking spray. Scoop the batter into the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for five minutes before taking them out of the pan to finish cooling on a rack.
Yield: 12 muffins.
Per muffin: 150 calories, 5 grams fiber, 4 grams protein

Blueberry Muffins
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp Baking soda
1 1/4 c Buttermilk
2 Eggs , lightly beaten
1/2 c sugar
Pinch salt
1/4 c Canola oil
1 c Blueberries (frozen is fine) or any other fruit or flavoring of your choice - apple, banana, cranberries with orange zest, chocolate chips, etc.
Dash cinnamon
Mix the flour and baking soda together. In a separate bowl, whisk the next 5 ingredients together until creamy, then stir in the blueberries. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix together until the batter is moistened yet slightly lumpy. Pour into foil/paper muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes.
Yield: 12 Muffins
Per muffin: 170 calories, 2.3 grams fiber, 4.5 grams protein

For both recipes, I usually make a batch and put most of them in the freezer. Then I just pull one out and microwave about 1 minute until warm and defrosted. Not quite as good as fresh baked, but very close.

A note about white whole wheat flour: I have taken to using white whole wheat flour (aka whole wheat pastry flour) in everything in place of all-purpose white flour. It has all the same whole grain nutritional benefits as regular whole wheat flour, but has a lighter flavor and texture. Commonly available brands are King Arthur and Bob's Red Mill. I can get it in the baking aisle at my local supermarket, but I know that Whole Foods carries it as well. If you can't find white whole wheat flour, you can sub 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 regular whole wheat flour in this recipe - using all regular whole wheat will be too heavy.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, could you please post your whey pancakes? Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eva, I haven't made the whey protein pancake recipe yet but this is it...it seems like a fun treat to have on the weekends as a change. I also have a good low-cal buttermilk pancake recipe I will post later for a more traditional take on pancakes.

Whole Wheat Whey Protein Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat): 300 cals
1/3 cup vanilla or unflavored whey protein: 150 cals
1 tablespoon brown sugar: 50 cals
2 teaspoons baking powder: 10 cals
1/4 teaspoon baking soda: 5 cals
1/4 teaspoon salt: 5 cals
1 cup 1% milk: 110 cals
2 egg whites, beaten sligtly: 40 cals
1 tablespoon vegetable oil: 130 cals
1 teaspoon vanilla: 10 cals
1 teaspoon cinammon: 15 cals
Total Cals. 825 cals
Servings: 4
Serving Size: Three 4" Pancakes
Calories Per Serving: 206

Combine flour, protein powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinammon, and salt in a bowl. Lightly beat milk, egg whites, vanilla, and oil in another small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and mix til blended. Use spray EVOO or butter spray (aka smart balance butter spray, 0 cals) on heated griddle. Bake on pre-heated flat griddle, turning when edges appear dry. Serve with your fave sugar-free syrup!

To make it for 2 people, just halve the recipe! You can also add a bit more flour or oil to your desired consistency, though I would just add water and less oil to get a thinner batter.

There is also another addition to it, you can also make a warm berry compote to serve with the pancakes. Use a frozen berry mix like the one from Trader Joes. Mix a cup of frozen berries with 1-2 tablespoons of splenda or sugar in a saucepan and heat til warm, stirring slowly, trying not to break the berries up too much. Add a bit of water to loosen the consistency if desired. Serve warmed sauce over pancakes with syrup. A cup of frozen berry mix is about 100 cals and sugar sub is 0.

Enjoy!!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for starting the thread Mara!

Vegetable Quiche Cups (modified from the South Beach Diet cookbook)

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach or same amount of fresh spinach
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (I use 1 large egg+3 egg whites)
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese (I use part-skim mozzarella)
1/4 cup diced bell peppers (green or red or whatever you like)
1/4 cup diced yellow onions
1/4 cup chopped broccoli florets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

If you use frozen spinach, microwave it on high for about 2-3 minutes and drain the excess liquid. If you use fresh spinach, cook on a skillet/pan until JUST wilted and soft (about 3 minutes) and drain any excess liquid.

Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray cups with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) cooking spray.

Combine the eggs, cheese, peppers, onions, spinach, and broccoli. Mix well and then scoop into muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a knife/toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I usually eat 2 or 3 for breakfast or lunch. Here is the nutritional info for each quiche cup:
Using real eggs:
Calories 39.4
Fat 1.8g
Cholesterol 22.7mg
Sodium 92.3mg
Carbs 2g
Fiber 0.9g
Protein 4g

Using egg substitute:
Calories 42
Fat 1.8g
Cholesterol 5.2mg
Sodium 101.3mg
Carbs 2g
Fiber 0.9g
Protein 4.3g

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! You guys are really motivating me! I had a mini-meltdown yesterday when faced with grocery shopping/cooking in the New Year. So sick of our yicky diet but feeling helpless to fix it since DH is SUCH a picky eater. We actually abandoned our grocery trip in the car ON THE WAY (PMS mixed in didn't help!
2.gif
).

Now ... reading these tasty sounding recipes ... there's a wee candle in the dark!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG I remembered that old thread but I figured a new one for 2007 was appropriate, esp specifically for the WWT'ers because a ton of recipes have been posted lately.

Here's one that I was thinking about this morning that I had in the other thread. It's great, and can be modified to use with chicken etc. Serve with veggies on the side or steamed rice.

My modifications to the recipe is to double the mustard (I love strong flavors with mild fish). It's extra yummy because it uses a bit of cream but not enough to be bad for you!

Tilapia in Mustard Cream Sauce

"Orange roughy or chicken can be used instead of tilapia, and tomatoes or spinach can be substituted for mushrooms." -Alix McLearen, Wesley Chapel, FL

4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 ounce portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons whipping cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Sprinkle fish with thyme, pepper, and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish; cook 1 minute on each side. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, uncovered, 1 minute or until mushrooms are tender. Remove fish from pan; keep warm. Add cream and mustard to pan; stir with a whisk until well combined. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce over fish.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 1/4 cup sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 184(22% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.1g,mono 1g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 32.7g; CHOLESTEROL 134mg; CALCIUM 40mg; SODIUM 536mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 1.2g

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fabulous idea Mara, thank you! I look forward to using these!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the 'Lighter' Buttermilk Pancakes. We had them last weekend and they were YUM. the whole wheat flour adds a bit of fiber and the flax seed as well.

'Lighter' Traditional Buttermilk Pancakes

1/2 cup regular flour: 200
1/4 cup whole wheat flour: 100
1 tablespoon real butter: 100
1 teaspoon sugar: 20
dash of vanilla: 10
1 tsp cinammon: 10
1 egg white: 20
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk: 80
dash of baking powder: 10
2 tablespoons flax seed: 60
total: 610 calories

mix dry ingredients together...and wet separately. mix the two together. spray a hot griddle with butter or evoo spray...cook pancakes.

2 servings: 305 each
makes about 2-3 pancakes per serving depending on size.
mix in water to loose up batter if it mixes up too thick.

serve with berries or your favorite sugar free syrup or both!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here are the Buttermilk Berry Muffins I found on joyofbaking.com and then adapted to my own thing....they are REALLY GOOD. Hands down the best muffins I have made so far. make sure to read the notes below on them coming out their best. i cannot stop eating them!!

Buttermilk Berry Muffins
2.25 cups whole wheat ''white'' flour: 825 cals
1/5 cup white sugar: 150
1/4 cup brown sugar: 100
3 packets of sweet leaf sugar substitute: 0
1 tsp baking powder: 5
1 tsp baking soda: 5
dash of salt: 5
zest of one lemon: 5
one egg, lightly beaten: 80
4/5 cup low-fat buttermilk: 100
4 tablespoons of enova oil: 480
1 tsp vanilla: 20
1.5 cups of mixed frozen berries: 150

Total calories: 1925
Makes 12 muffins.
Each muffin is 160 calories.

Notes: you can use more white sugar and less brown, i just ran out of white sugar! hehe. the original recipe called for way more sugar and oil but these are very moist and yummy without all the oil which is wonderful. the sweetleaf sugar sub is super sweet so it ends up that a few packets are much like the strength of the original sugar in the recipe.

Directions:
mix the dry items together in a large bowl, flour, sugars, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. mix the wet items together in a medium bowl...aka egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. fold the berries lightly into the dry mixture, being careful not to break them. slowly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, Do not overmix the batter or the muffins will be tough. fold everything in just enough to moisten the mixture but not too much. grease a muffin pan (spray with evoo or similar). heat oven to 375 degrees. fill muffin cups with the batter and a spoon. cook for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. when done, take out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes, then remove from pan. sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is a thai mussel recipe that i adapted from a bunch of various recipes i found online....it's REALLY yummy. you can serve them as a side but typically greg and i just split the recipe ourselves and eat it with crusty toasted french bread to soak up the sauce. we love yummy mussels and bread!!!

Thai Curry Coconut Mussels

• 1 can (13.5-ounce) lite oconut milk, A Taste of Thai®: 270 cals
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil: 80
• 1/2 cup white wine: 80
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass: 10
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce: 10
• 1/2 cup clam juice: 10
• 1 tablespoons brown sugar: 50
• 1/2 tablespoon red curry paste: 15
• 2 tablespoon minced garlic: 15
• 2 tablespoon minced ginger: 40
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice: 10
• 1 tablespoons butter: 100
• 2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen mussels* (rinsed, de-bearded, and drained): 500
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onion, for garnish: 20

Total calories: 1290
Servings 2-4 depending on how you are serving them!

In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass. Saute for 2 minutes.

Add the fish sauce, coconut milk, white wine, Thai red curry paste, sugar, lime juice and clam juice.

Bring to a boil. Add the mussels. Cover and steam the mussels in the broth for 5 minutes or until mostly cooked. Heat oven to broil and broil mussels on top shelf in bake safe dish for 5 minutes.

Serve with lime slices on the side and crusty toasted bread to soak up the sauce!

NOTE: The red curry paste is really spicy!! I have adapted the recipe to 1/2 tablespoon but you might want more or less to your taste. Careful with it though! Also you can use less or more of the coconut milk as desired. It's mostly to 'taste'. Also I had a hard time finding calorie information on mussels since their shells are so large and yet the meat is so small so the cals might be a little high in this estimate. I found online that it said 20-25 mussels is 1 lb and 20-25 mussels yields about 1cup of meat.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
This flavorful Zone Diet Taco Soup recipe is fantastic for weeknights. It is very easy to prepare with a big taste pay-off.

Zone Diet Taco Soup Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
3/4 Cups Onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Taco Seasoning Package
1 Can diced Tomato
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Mexican Rotel Tomato
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can White Corn
2 Cups Water (or desired consistency)
Directions:
Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the ground meat and simmer. Next, add the taco seasoning. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour. You can use a crockpot and cook on low all day, ready to eat when you get home from work. Sprinkle your bowl with reduced fat, shredded cheddar cheese for the extra fat needed.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
This is good served with a juicy steak or grilled fish.

Button mushroom salad

Make sure mushrooms are young, fresh and firm.

INGREDIENTS
500g button mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth if necessary (110 calories)
half a garlic clove, finely sliced (0 calories)
sea salt and pepper (0 calories)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (363 calories)
2 tbsp sherry or white wine vinegar (4 calories)
1 tbsp chopped parsley (4 calories)
2 cups baby spinach leaves (92 calories)

METHOD

Remove stems and discard, and slice the mushrooms very thinly. Dress with garlic, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar and stand for 10 minutes. Add the parsley and spinach, toss and check for seasoning. Serve drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil.

Serves 4 (total calories 573 = 143.25 calories per serve.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome recipes gals, keep posting!!

here is the chicken pot pie recipe we made last nite. we're having the other 2 tonite, yum!!! i bet that it will be even better after all sitting together in the fridge for 24 hours.

"Lighter" Chicken Pot Pies

1 lb boiled, diced chicken tenders
1/2c diced celery
1c diced potatoes
1c diced carrots
1/2c chopped mushrooms
1/2c chopped broccoli florets
1/2c diced onions
1 tbls garlic
2 tbls butter
1 tbls flour
1c chicken broth
1/2c white wine
1 tbls heavy cream
3/4c 1% mil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 container pilsbury low-fat croissants.

boil boneless, skinless chicken tenders in chicken broth for 15 minutes. saute the onions and some garlic in 2 tbls butter over med heat for 2 minutes, then add celery and mushrooms into the mix and saute for a few minutes. sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over it the mix... let it cook another 2 minutes. then added about 1c chicken broth, 1/2c white wine, 1 tblspoon of heavy cream, 3/4c 1% milk and let the sauce thicken, added parsley, thyme and tarragon to spice it...salt and pepper to taste, mix cooked chicken and rest of veggies in to and let simmer for a few minutes together. Preheat oven to 350. put pilsbury low-fat croissant triangles to form the top (2 to each pie, cutoff the edges). brush them with a bit of butter and baked for 20-25 minutes. the recipe made 4 evenly filled 10 oz personal small square bakers/ramekins. the calories for each was about 450.

you could probably even add a bit more cream if you like that more creamy taste, 1 tblspoon is only 50 cals. i cooked the potatoes, broccoli and carrots a few minutes in the microwave to get them softer so they'd finish cooking quickly in the oven. variant might be to use condensed low-fat cream of chicken in place of cream, might give a more 'creamy' feel to it, but greg liked particularly that these were flavorful yet the sauce was light and not too creamy/heavy. you can use other variations of veggies, and also if you don't feel like dicing up all the veggies and doing all that by hand, get the frozen veggie bag from the store (has peas, carrots and corn) and add mushrooms or potatoes only for a diff and easier feel.

Serves 4, individual 10oz pies. I have photos at home which maybe I will try to post later, lol.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
Here are a couple of healthy roasted veggie recipes that I make to satisfy my french fry cravings:

Popcorn Cauliflower
Cut 1 head of cauliflower into florets (about 2-3 inches). Toss with ~1T olive oil and salt to taste. Bake at 425 for 45-60 minutes or until brown and crisp, turning several times. Watch closely after 40 minutes so they don’t burn.

Butternut Squash Fries
1/2 butternut squash (you can also use a sweet potato)
salt

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash using a sharp knife. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with salt Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.

Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Mara, that mustard tilapia looks great!

Okay, just a little smoothie recipe. Really yum.

1 cup skim milk -- 80 cal
either:
.5 cup white mountain whole milk yogurt -- 75 cal, 4 g fat, OR
.5 cup white mountain skim milk yogurt -- 45 cal, 0 g fat
1/2 cup frozen strawbrries -- 35 cal
1/2 small banana -- 40 cal
1 packet of sweet & low

The sweet & low went in at the last second after I tasted it, b/c it wasn''t very sweet at all. You can''t tell that it''s an artificial sug sub.
If you make it w/ non-fat yogurt, it''s 200 calories and no fat. I made it w/ whole milk yogurt, and it was 230 cal and 4 grams of fat. I can''t guarantee that it''s as delicious w/ fat free yogurt, bc I haven''t tried that, but I''m sure it''s really good.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh...fun recipes everyone. Here are two that I made last night (made up, not from a website), that were super yummy and really healthy (I''ve approximated some stuff, and it can be adjusted to taste):

Lemon-Feta Vegetable Bulgur

1 c. dry bulgur wheat
8 oz low-fat or light feta, crumbled (you can use less if you don''t love it like me and DH do)
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
1 bag broccoli florets (12 oz)
5-7 zucchini, medium size
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven (we use a convection oven on the countertop) to 375 F.

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then into approx. 1/2" slices (pretty thick, but not much bigger than bite size). Place in a small baking dish and add 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Put in oven and roast approximately 30 minutes or until tender, increasing heat if zucchini doesn''t brown lightly at the top towards the end.

Put the Bulgur in a large bowl and add lemon zest and salt and pepper. Add 1.5 cups boiling water and leave to soak for 15 minutes.

Snip the edge of the bad of broccoli and steam for 2.5 minutes in the microwave. When the bulgur and the zucchini are done, mix everything together in a large dish and serve, adding the second tsp of olive oil, preferably really high quality stuff at the last minute when stirring. I ate about 1/5 of the total recipe with some lentils, and that was plenty for dinner. It was super filling, and very healthy, as you can see.

Nutrition info for whole recipe:
Calories: 1232 Fat: 42.6g Fiber: 51.1g Protein: 75.6

And here are the lentils I made to go with it, which were super-yummy and super-easy.

Garam Masala-spiced Lentils

1 package Trader Joe''s steamed lentils (they are in the produce section in the TJ''s I go to)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped small
EVOO spray
1/2 c. white wine
2-3 tsp. Garam Masala (a spice mix with cinnamon and some other stuff, or you could improvise with your own spices, cumin and cinnamon and cloves and cardamon would all be yummy here)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute garlic in a pan sprayed with the EVOO until it just starts to be fragrant, then add chopped onion. Saute until onion starts to turn translucent, then add lentils and white wine. Cook over medium-high heat approx. 7-8 minutes total, adding spices halfway through, until onions are tender and alcohol smell from the wine is gone.

These were so yummy, and great for protein and fiber (I just counted them nutritionally as regular lentils, since most of the stuff that was added wasn''t worth counting the calories). I used 1/2 cup of these (about 1/5) over the bulgur recipe above for dinner last night and it was super filling and less than 400 calories total.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
This CL recipe has become a staple dinner in our house. I cut it by 2/3 and use a smaller dish as there are just two of us to feed. I also use fresh basil as we prefer the taste.

Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
Cooking spray
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
5 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (12-ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1 large egg white
1 (26-ounce) bottle fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
12 cooked lasagna noodles
Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine 2 egg whites and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Dredge 1 eggplant slice in flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, flour, egg mixture, and breadcrumbs. Place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of slices with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, turning eggplant after 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.

Combine 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, oregano, basil, ricotta, cottage cheese, and 1 egg white in a large bowl.

Spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles slightly overlapping over the pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture, half of eggplant slices, and 3/4 cup pasta sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes.

Yield: 9 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 432(23% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 6.2g,mono 3.1g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 28.3g; CHOLESTEROL 58mg; CALCIUM 460mg; SODIUM 976mg; FIBER 3.7g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 53.8g

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A delicious CL dessert.

Mocha Fudge Bread Pudding
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 cup hot strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
2 large egg whites
8 cups (1-inch) cubed white bread (about 10 ounces)
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine low-fat milk, hot coffee, and dark brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer, stirring until brown sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Add egg substitute, vanilla extract, salt, and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Combine egg mixture and bread in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.

Spoon half of bread mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Top chocolate chips with remaining bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 282(28% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 4.6g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 8.1g; CHOLESTEROL 2mg; CALCIUM 72mg; SODIUM 75mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 45.6g

Kristin Fontaine, Burlington, Vermont

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Another favorite main dish in our house from CL.

Italian Meat Loaf with Fresh Basil and Provolone
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
2 large egg whites
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground round
Cooking spray
1/3 cup ketchup
Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain tomatoes; finely chop.
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1/2 cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, and the next 6 ingredients (breadcrumbs through beef) in a large bowl. Add tomatoes to meat mixture. Shape meat mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup over meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 294(27% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 3.2g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 24.3g; CHOLESTEROL 53mg; CALCIUM 149mg; SODIUM 893mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.8g
It goes great with:

Mashed Potatoes w/ Chives
3 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
2/3 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup (5 ounces) light cream cheese with chives and onions

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add the milk and salt. Mash the potato mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency. Add the cheese, and stir just until blended.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 172(16% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 2g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 6.1g; CHOLESTEROL 9mg; CALCIUM 70mg; SODIUM 399mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.4g

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicken stuffed with goat cheese and artichoke hearts

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
3/4 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
1/4 cup minced shallots (about 3)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat or feta cheese
1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence or thyme, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Lemon rind strips (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add artichokes
and shallots; saute 4 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. Stir in cheese, 1/2
teaspoon herbes de Provence, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each breast half to form
a pocket. Stuff 2 tablespoons artichoke mixture into each pocket.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add
chicken, and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; saute
6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm. Add 1/2
teaspoon herbes de Provence and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Combine
juice and cornstarch; add to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook 1
minute or until thick. Return chicken to pan; cover and cook 2 minutes or
until thoroughly heated. Garnish with parsley and lemon strips, if desired.
YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons
sauce)
NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 194 carbohydrates: 6.2 g cholesterol: 72 mg fat: 5.3 g sodium:
437 mg protein: 29.2 g calcium: 61 mg iron: 1.4 mg fiber: 0.4 g

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this salmon recipe when you are on the mood for something easy and flavorful..

- lightly score the salmon filets
- spray with evoo spray
Sprinkle both sides with:
- kosher salt
- pepper
- cayenne pepper
- red pepper flakes (easy on this if you don''t like it hot!)
- cumin (I usually only sprinkle one side of the fish with cumin)
- dry dill (I think the dill is key!)

Let sit for a few minutes. Place on pan and broil for 10 minutes (I use the toaster oven...it''s perfect for this. Serve with lemon wedges.

If you have more calories to spare, you can use real olive oil instead of spray (just a couple of splashes will do) and pan fry. It comes out with more crispy sear that way.

The calories depends on how big your fish is...you can look it up on calorielab.com. The rest of the seasonings are cal free....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had this tonight and it was very easy to make and definitely had nice flavor. At only 300 calories, it''s filling and there''s leftover calories for dessert!!

Cumin Dusted Chicken Breasts with Guacamole Sauce

Sauce:
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (I used cilantro as I thought it would go better with the guac theme)
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (I used "light" sour cream...same calories as fat free, but just a bit more fat. I hate fat free stuff)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 ripe peeled avocado, seeded and coarsely mashed

Chicken: (you can halve this if you are only making two chicken breasts - I did make all the sauce above though...I could always eat it with something else!)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
To prepare sauce, combine first 8 ingredients; set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare chicken, combine sugar, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; sprinkle evenly over chicken. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over. Place pan in oven; bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until done. Serve chicken with sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half and about 3 tablespoons sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 301(27% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 1.5g,mono 4.8g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 41.6g; CHOLESTEROL 101mg; CALCIUM 76mg; SODIUM 575mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.5g
(note: depending on your oven, maybe just over 9 minutes might be OK. at 10 minutes, my chicken was a little high on the temp side when I inserted my meat thermometer to check).

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I posted on the WWT that I made baked ziti last night and mentioned that it wasn''t the healthiest thing. But then I wondered how healthy, so I actually sat down and calculated it. The way I make it, it actually is pretty good. I hope this passes for a Healthier recipe for this thread ''cuz I am happy to finally contribute something
1.gif

The best thing about this recipe is that it is so easy to make if you have an hour for it to bake. I usually put it in the oven right when I get home from the gym, then go take my shower, etc. and a bit later it''s done! OK, here''s the recipe:

No-Boil Baked Ziti (from Ragu.com)

1 jar (1 lb. 10 oz.) Ragu ® Robusto! ® Pasta Sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1 container (15 oz.) part-skim ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 oz.) - I use part-skim, low-moisture
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces uncooked ziti pasta - I actually use Barilla Plus Penne (I like ridged pasta)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In large bowl, combine Pasta Sauce and water. Stir in ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese, then uncooked ziti.
2. In 13 x 9-inch baking dish, evenly spoon ziti mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake 55 minutes.
3. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. (The longer it stands, the better it is because the pasta will absorb more of the moisture.)

Yield: 8 servings (and they''re quite filling)

Nutrition:

In total dish: Protein Carbs Fat Fiber Calories
mozzarella 2 cups, shredded 56 6 6 0 640
parmesan 1/4 cup 8 0 6 0 80
part skim ricotta 15 oz 35 28 31.5 0 560
penne 8 oz 40 152 4 16 800
sauce 1lb 10oz 12 72 21 12 540
SUM 151 258 68.5 28 2620

Per serving: 18.9 32.3 8.6 3.5 327.5
(8 servings per dish)

So, at ~330 calories per serving with almost 20g of protein and ~9g of fat ... not so bad! This actually makes me quite happy as I make this often because it has easy, quick prep and makes a lot.

BTW, this also freezes pretty well. There are only two of us, so I usually freeze 2-3 servings when I make it. Otherwise I get quite tired of baked ziti during the week (I don''t like eating the same thing too frequently).

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Beef Tenderloin w/ French Onion Sauce

2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, divided
2 cups thinly sliced onion
3 cups cremini or button mush-room caps, halved (about 1/2 pound)
2/3 cup water
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consomme
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick)
1/2 cup dry red wine
4 (1-ounce) slices French bread (about 1 inch thick), toasted
Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in water and consomme, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove onion mixture from pan.
Combine thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub the thyme mixture over steaks. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.

Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in onion mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Return steaks to pan; simmer 1 minute.

Place one toast slice in each of 4 shallow serving bowls, and top each slice with steak. Spoon the onion mixture over each serving. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 piece toast, 1 steak, and 1/2 cup sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 326(29% from fat); FAT 10.6g (sat 4.4g,mono 3.8g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 31.5g; CHOLESTEROL 75mg; CALCIUM 60mg; SODIUM 808mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 5.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.4g

Notes: I reduced the sauce using a bit of cornstarch mixed with water tablespoon of corntarch, poured it over the steak on a plate and served the bread on the side as opposed to making it like a soup with steak in the middle. Just personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results