shape
carat
color
clarity

Wrapping pearl necklace as a bracelet?

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
So I’m new to pearls and would love this group to weigh in. I’ve seen a few examples online of people wrapping their pearl necklaces around their wrist to wear as a bracelet. I’m not a huge fan of necklaces but I have a Mikimoto small pearl necklace with a silver clasp and was curious about wearing it as a bracelet but was afraid the rubbing between strands would cause damage to pearls. It’s a short strand so I’d only wrap it twice. Am I being paranoid and it’s fine to do this or is this a big pearl offense?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m new to pearls and would love this group to weigh in. I’ve seen a few examples online of people wrapping their pearl necklaces around their wrist to wear as a bracelet. I’m not a huge fan of necklaces but I have a Mikimoto small pearl necklace with a silver clasp and was curious about wearing it as a bracelet but was afraid the rubbing between strands would cause damage to pearls. It’s a short strand so I’d only wrap it twice. Am I being paranoid and it’s fine to do this or is this a big pearl offense?

I don't see why you shouldn't!
If you aren't wearing it as a necklace, why not enjoy it as a bracelet? The Pearl Police won't come to your door, I promise!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a strand (not Mikimotos alas) that i wear around my wrist
i worry a bit too - but pearls like to be worn
Not every strand - even Dear old Mr Mikimoto's can become a family heirloom
In the words of George Bernard Shaw ...well except for the last part maybe :lol-2:

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no ‘brief candle’ to me. It is sort of a splendid torch which I have a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations.

(but you never know ....:lol-2:)
Just try to be mindful they are on our wrists

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Being akoya, the pearls are marginally more fragile than other pearls because the deposition of nacre is thinner. But if the difference between wearing the pearls and enjoying them as a bracelet and bunging them away in a dark unloved drawer, then wear them. (Perhaps not when you are bricklaying)
Life is too short for 'best'

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
With many thousands of multi-strand Akoya bracelets made over time (not to mention - South Sea, Tahitian, et al.)- there is no faux pas or cause for concern.

Akoya Nacre and the Nacre of "freshies" is a bit like comparing Bone China and Earthenware. The first may be thinner but is unarguably stronger then the latter.

In both Pearls and Teacups - I would choose thinner and higher quality - over thickness.

On a more serious note - I have routinely worn a baroque akoya necklace as a wrap bracelet for over 20 years without any detriment to the pearls.

As with all things worn on the wrist (Bangles Watches etc) your mileage may vary depending on how harsh your wearing style is.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can i go off on a slight tangent and ask about layering / stacking pearls with silver ?

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don’t see any issue at all, even with Akoya’s =)2.

it’s not so much the stacking, or presence of Silver with the pearls (or other metals with the pearls) - Lifestyle/wearing habits would be the key decider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results