color
clarity

Wow stone color under lights

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
2) natural outside light
And 3rd) normal natural light

Can anyone tell me why the stone looks like this under the black light?
I'm aware the different types of stones look different but I'm mostly seeing that blue is the color it should be. I am having to use a light that is not working 100% . It's weak. But all I have at the moment. How close should it be held to the light ?
Thanks IMG_20180225_204003.jpg IMG_20180225_204129.jpg IMG_20180223_153252.jpg IMG_20180223_153808.jpg

Thanks

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
The #1 photos are under black light. Sorry thought I had it written there

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Since the color of the stone is the same as the color of the rails on your band, I think you’re simply seeing light reflection, not fluorescence.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
That will only color the stone ?? Both rings show that pink color unless I move them around . Then they look clear . The band isn't pink.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of stone is it? The 4th picture shows a look I have not seen before (or maybe its just the pictures).

The metal in the band is photographing pink in your second picture.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That will only color the stone ?? Both rings show that pink color unless I move them around . Then they look clear . The band isn't pink.

Yes, you’re metal won’t fluoresce. The fact that it’s reflecting a pink color the same as your center stone (and some of the facets on the side stones too) means you’re just seeing reflection.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, moving a fluorescent stone around under a black light won’t change it’s glow.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a grading report for your stone? If so, it should say whether your stone has fluorescence.

Here's what it would look like if it were fluorescing (blue). _1651.jpeg

Or to a lesser extent, in a melee stone _1650.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your other thread in Hangout (which needs to be deleted), I see that you are asking what this stone could be. You might
try taking it to a jeweler. They have a tool they can use that will tell if its a diamond or not. Good luck. Could it be a white sapphire?
I'm afraid nobody on-line can tell you exactly what it is. It will have to be examined by in person by someone knowledgeable.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some black lights put out a significant amount of visible violet light.
More so when they are old and acting up.
That is what your seeing in the picture.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm taking more photos in the sunlight. Plus I have gotten the rings cleaned

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
From your other thread in Hangout (which needs to be deleted), I see that you are asking what this stone could be. You might
try taking it to a jeweler. They have a tool they can use that will tell if its a diamond or not. Good luck. Could it be a white sapphire?
I'm afraid nobody on-line can tell you exactly what it is. It will have to be examined by in person by someone knowledgeable.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Tyty,.
Why did you say my other thread needs to be deleted?
I am looking to learn about this stone and the use of the black light.
I'm not sure of the stone, sapphire? Maybe could be. The point of posting on forums for help is to learn right? Dang

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Do you have a grading report for your stone? If so, it should say whether your stone has fluorescence.

Here's what it would look like if it were fluorescing (blue). _1651.jpeg

Thank you so much. That is beautiful

Or to a lesser extent, in a melee stone _1650.jpeg

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
What kind of stone is it? The 4th picture shows a look I have not seen before (or maybe its just the pictures).

The metal in the band is photographing pink in your second picture.
I'm not sure of the stone. I'm trying to learn about it. The 4th picture is just me holding the camera against my loupe to try to get a better pic to show more details of the stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure whether your gem is actually fluorescing or merely showing a reflection of the light source
Diamonds can be fluorescent in a number of colours. It is trace elements in the crystalline structure vibrating under exposure to UV. In diamonds it’s usually a blue colour due to Nitrogen, however other minute trace events can cause fluoresce in a number of colours. In Rubies it is the Chromium that causes the vivid red glow.
Your gem is interesting, a white sapphire would be expected to be inert ie no glow of any color.
A jeweller with a Presidum gem tester can very quickly ID this gem as a diamond or something else. Something else might require further testing / investigation to determine what it is.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure whether your gem is actually fluorescing or merely showing a reflection of the light source
Diamonds can be fluorescent in a number of colours. It is trace elements in the crystalline structure vibrating under exposure to UV. In diamonds it’s usually a blue colour due to Nitrogen, however other minute trace events can cause fluoresce in a number of colours. In Rubies it is the Chromium that causes the vivid red glow.
Your gem is interesting, a white sapphire would be expected to be inert ie no glow of any color.
A jeweller with a Presidum gem tester can very quickly ID this gem as a diamond or something else. Something else might require further testing / investigation to determine what it is.

Bron , thank you so much. I'm rather ignorant on all this gem stuff. However, I am trying my best to learn. Seems that sometimes people get frustrated when us newbies. I can only speak for myself here , but maybe at times us newbies irritate the more knowledgeable people with our lack of information. But that is what brings us to forums. Requesting the info we need and having enough faith in the folks that are willing to help us.
Now, back to the issue, again Bron, I thank you. I would like to find me a tester as well. I have alot of
Jewelry that was left to me that I would like to learn about. Fine and costume jewelry. I have a couple hundred pieces so I would like to get a tester to save my sanity. Lol . So if anyone can tell me how to get one ? What kind ? Any anything else that you can tell me about a tester? I'm here to learn.

Thanks again

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can get a diamond tester on the internet, you can do a search, Presidium is one known brand.

That said, because you know that you know nothing about jewelry and you have hundreds of pieces, you should actually try to visit a recommended appraiser to find out what you have. Guessing will not work. There is a reason that people study this for a long time and need a lot of experience.

I do not think that people are annoyed with you. I think your enthusiasm is great. That is how loving gems starts, the passion that drives us forward and make us stay here too.

But a great starting point like I said would be an appraiser in your area they recommend here. Then by all means read and learn, it is so much fun! You can spend hours on this forum every day and by the end you will also have a lot more knowledge.

Good luck with your jewelry and this fun project! It is exciting to find out what you may have in there, you just never know.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty,.
Why did you say my other thread needs to be deleted?
I am looking to learn about this stone and the use of the black light.
I'm not sure of the stone, sapphire? Maybe could be. The point of posting on forums for help is to learn right? Dang

It is the custom/norm around here to open only one thread on a subject and to open it in the correct forum. We tell new posters
all the time that their post needs to be moved to the correct forum or to get rid of duplicates. When you get multiple threads going
it can get confusing. Not a big deal (dont take it personally).

I agree with Sunstorm. Finding out what everything is would be your first step. I think you are down in the weeds with the blacklight. You
need to pull way up and find out what you have before looking at minor details like fluorescence. Did you receive any paperwork with the items?
Any kind of report on the jewelry would be helpful. Check metal for 14k, 18k, or plat markings. Good stones will usually be put into gold or plat.
(not saying that simulants arent put in gold though). Clean everything really well with warm water and dish soap/tooth brush so you can get a good look at
it. Stones with inclusions may be a clue to whether they are real or simulants. (real stones likely to have inclusions, simulants not likely). So,
find out what you got then let us know any questions you have. (FYI, this forum is for natural diamonds). We have a color stone forum for
any non-diamond gemstones you have and we have another forum for lab grown diamonds.). I dont think we have a forum for simulants
but I'm not sure.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-298301959188&ref=pd_sl_1jxt5h2xnp_e_p37

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Sunstorm and ty ty,
Thank you both. I will try to find a tester to play around with before going to a jeweller. I'm not sure what that may cost me so I would be better off trying to find items that I can feel like it's worth the cost.
I think I will be downsizing the costume jewelry. That will help me get appraisals as well.
Im super excited. I love getting this stuff out and researching it. It's like I have my very own treasure island and I love learning about what I have. Fun, fun, fun !

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamin,
It sounds like you are pretty excited to learn about the jewelry you have inherited. If you devote a little time to study and maybe buy a few instruments, you can become surprisingly knowledgeable on your own. But I agree that before you sell or trade or gift any of your pieces, you should consult an accredited professional.

The stone in the photos does appear to me to be fluorescing. Red/pink fluoro would be indicative of a simulant or synthetic.

You can get some clues about the nature of the gems by looking at the jewelry into which they are set. If they are base metal, the stones are most likely glass or some other material used to simulate a gem (costume jewelry). If they are precious metals (look for purity stamps inside the shank of the ring), they they could be either synthetics, natural gems, or natural treated gems. Synthetic sapphire and ruby have been manufactured for well over 100 years.

There is some sleuthing involved as no individual tests are conclusive. You have to look at multiple pieces of information to make a confident identification. And some synthetics and treatments can only be conclusively identified at a gem lab.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a forum for costume jewelry under fabulous fashion jewelry. You can find this forum by clicking the community tab. You have received some great answers on this thread. I hope that they encourage you to learn more about your pieces.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Dreamin,
It sounds like you are pretty excited to learn about the jewelry you have inherited. If you devote a little time to study and maybe buy a few instruments, you can become surprisingly knowledgeable on your own. But I agree that before you sell or trade or gift any of your pieces, you should consult an accredited professional.

The stone in the photos does appear to me to be fluorescing. Red/pink fluoro would be indicative of a simulant or synthetic.

You can get some clues about the nature of the gems by looking at the jewelry into which they are set. If they are base metal, the stones are most likely glass or some other material used to simulate a gem (costume jewelry). If they are precious metals (look for purity stamps inside the shank of the ring), they they could be either synthetics, natural gems, or natural treated gems. Synthetic sapphire and ruby have been manufactured for well over 100 years.

There is some sleuthing involved as no individual tests are conclusive. You have to look at multiple pieces of information to make a confident identification. And some synthetics and treatments can only be conclusively identified at a gem lab.

Yes sir Texas., I am super excited. I've been playing around with learning about costume for a couple years now. Well, since that was left to me . I feel like a kid back in school at times lol you should see my notebooks lol .

Sometimes it's a little hard to learn from the net because some many people say different things and I find more to read on trying to figure out which one to listen to...
It took me forever it seems to find out a necklace is onyx. I was one of those that thought if it ain't black. It ain't onyx then I was looking at Jade / Jadeite to if it was that. Nope. Again. , I learned . Lol . Boy did I learn.
I was thinking " dang, this looks so oily there is no way I would put it around my neck! It actually still has the tags on it from when she purchased it. It was over 30 years ago. She got it for $85 over 30 years ago. It must have meant something special to her for her to keep tags and never use it. I'm fairly sure she got that on thier last trip
Together to Mexico. Her husband passed away 33 yrs ago. Brain tumor. Gives an idea of the time frame. She was a very special patient of mine and she is still missed dearly.

Thanks for the reply Texas.
(BTW- I love Texas, haven't got to visit in a few years though )

Oh , I think I have read that white sapphire glows pinkish/red . What do you think ? Is it possible?

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
There is a forum for costume jewelry under fabulous fashion jewelry. You can find this forum by clicking the community tab. You have received some great answers on this thread. I hope that they encourage you to learn more about your pieces.

Thanks Princess,
I will go look at that. I have gotten good info here. I'm very happy with this forum. You can bet ya bottom dollar I will continue to learn all I can. I love this stuff.

Dreamin_sqaw

Rough_Rock
Premium
Another question for ya (sorry)
I got a large container of watches my father inlaw picked up for me at a garage sale .
After learning about the black light test/trick? I got one out and put it under the light. Dang , glows blue big time. The stones are small but bright. After looking at it I noticed it was a gift from her work that gave this watch as a gift. It's engraved with her name on back and #of years worked there ( 25 yrs) nice Lil message. ? This thing is dirty though. Make that filthy. what's the safest way for me to clean gold band? I want to get it cleaned and then I'm going to find her or her family to see if they want it. It may have gotten tossed by accident. Or what ever. It's personalized with her name so I think it's special . I gotta try anyhow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results