shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trust your spouse to . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
No. Even after finding PS, and telling him I will no longer buy from mall stores he still got me a diamond pendent that had inclusions you could see in the dark. But ya gotta give the guy credit. He tried. Now I just tell him if you get me any jewelery, especially diamonds, you WILL contact WF!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would have to be a joint effort--don''t think I could totally leave it in his hands. He is fantastic picking out stones and when we were looking locally he was a much harsher critic than I was when it came to visual appearance. Balancing the 4Cs to get more for the money?...well, that''s where I would come in. I have to analyze everything to death so I''m not sure I could look at the ring every day and think hmmmmmm...wonder if there was another stone out there that had better value. Most of this, of course, stems from the fact that we don''t have the $$$ to spend on jewelry at the drop of a hat. If we had more $$$ to spare, I may let him try all by himself....well, at least once, anyway!....LOL

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 11:07:18 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
No. Even after finding PS, and telling him I will no longer buy from mall stores he still got me a diamond pendent that had inclusions you could see in the dark. But ya gotta give the guy credit. He tried. Now I just tell him if you get me any jewelery, especially diamonds, you WILL contact WF!
LOL!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but only because he had such a positive experience with Mark at ERD that I know he would call him!!!

Not to mention that he actually enjoyed learning about the angles, etc. I think it''s because he''s in Math...

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I would, but I wear so little jewellery I prefer to pick it out myself.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did it once, and I''ll do it again.

Luckily, he found Pricescope to learn about Asschers, while I was a member for more general diamond knowledge.

He has a veritable laundry list of ACA and X Factor items I would like from WF, so I think he''ll be ok with the picking of the stone in the future.
2.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
No way--I enjoy researching things before I buy and he doesn''t. He would''ve walked into a mall store and bought the first thing they showed him. I was talking to another guy about me researching the diamond and he told me how he buys jewelery for his wife--said he just walks into a mall and stops at a jewelry store that has a sale sign in the window!

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I picked out DW''s upgrade diamond this year - that''s why I ended up at this site. I actually narrowed it down to four stones and let her pick out which one she wanted. She picked out her own custom setting, though. I stayed out of that since I wanted her to get exactly what she wanted without my opinion influencing her.

I posted photos over on the "show me the ring" forum if anyone wants to see how it turned out. She just got the completed ring a few weeks ago and is totally thrilled.

DW''s upgrade ring

Elise

Rough_Rock
Yes and no. My FI doesn''t like the idea of making big purchases online so we usually buy from trusted jewelers where we live. As the jewelers know my taste, they usually do a pretty good job of helping him pick out surprise gems for me.

However, for my e-ring, I decided that I really wanted to try my hand at picking the stone out myself after all my research on pricescope. Not that I have any doubt my jewelers will recommend a great stone to him, but I was concerned he might end up paying too much for it.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but that''s going to be a no. I''m sure at this point in our lives, DH would agree
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would, if I gave him the specs I wanted. He helped me pick our my diamond for my ering upgrade last summer and agreed with me on which diamond we wanted. It''s a good thing we do pick out his presents to me together because it takes us a long time to agree on something. We have different tastes in style. He is pretty picky about quality so that''s nice.

Gothgirl, too funny about seeing inclusions in the dark.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope nope and nope. And he wouldn't want to actually.

So it works out perfectly.
3.gif

Now if I had never found PS...sure why not. But knowing what I know and knowing what HE knows I know, nope.

nala2000

Rough_Rock
I''ll have to say, "No way!!!" I was engaged once before and my poor exfiance completely overpaid for the diamond he bought and from that moment I knew I was destined to be the diamond shopper...My DH has no clue of what''s involved in determing diamond quality and would prefer I take charge. I actually enjoy shopping for diamonds....I''m constantly on the lookout for an upgrade....
17.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha...my first reaction was "Yep, if it was an ACA from WF!" just like a few others in this thread. Otherwise, no, no and no! I did all the research for my diamond and setting. He originally wanted to surprise me but my tastes are just super specific...it wouldn''t have been good if he surprised me! He''s sensitive and I''m not good at hiding when I don''t like something! Plus he''s too trusting and I could see him getting taken by a slick jeweler.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 2:47:11 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I love the man, but helllllllllllll to the no. No way.

He hasn''t got a clue and doesn''t really want to get one. Did you know that the first ering he got for me was a CZ?!?! He thought he was getting a good deal on a diamond and didn''t know it was fake.
20.gif
(English is his 3rd language so he didn''t know what cubic zirconia was.) Thankfully he brought it to another jewelry store and the guy explained in no uncertain terms it was fake. He returned it and proposed that night at dinner with no ring!!! Then we went to Tiff''s and got a little somethin somethin.

So...no way!!!!
OMG lmao! He wouldn''t trust himself to do it... they all ''sparkle'' to him, ignorance is bliss.
31.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I had an interesting talk with my BF about this last night.

Turns out that when the time comes, he wants it to be a complete surprise. So we talked since that definitely wasn''t what I had in mind, and decided that I''m allowed to determine vendors (hello ERD and WF!) and show him pictures of rings I love, and he has to do his research. He nixed my plan, saying he wanted to "sweep me off my feet" and said "you''re so cute when you''re flustered and surprised."

However, this whole conversation came up because he was telling me about a friend of his from HS that just got engaged. This friend was telling him "what a great deal" he got (his friend''s words, not my BF''s). I didn''t say anything. I bit my tongue, HARD, and didn''t say anything.

"Honey," he said. "Honey, I can hear your heart stopping." And then he reassured me those were never words he''d ever associate with any jewelry he got me. And then he asked me if my heart started beating again yet, lol.

So I guess I have to trust him...but he did make it a whole lot easier.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results