shape
carat
color
clarity

would you tip less if your waiter/waitress...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
was sporting nice jewelry?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. They get 18-22% regardless of what they're wearing

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
What they're wearing makes no difference in how I tip them. I judge based on service, not appearance.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
No.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - but I'd definitely notice (and admire) ::)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
nope. I wouldn't care what they're wearing.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
No! If they are doing their job well, what would it matter what they are wearing? I would still tip 20%. The jewelry could be a gift, could be borrowed, etc. Why would I punish them for having great taste! :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
A waitperson's jewelry would have nothing to do with how much I tip him/her.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Nope. 20% is my standard, unless they are REALLY awful, then maybe 10%.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Nope, they get the tip they deserve based on service not bling.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
no way! i tip based on service only.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Nope, doesn't make a difference. They could be a millionaire waiting tables for something to do - why should I give them less of a tip if the service is good? Or the jewelry could be fake, or a family heirloom they didn't pay for, or a gift - why would it matter?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutely no way it would influence me to tip less. why isn't this person deserving of good jewelry?!

MoZo

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
No. Should everyone with nice jewelry get a paycut?

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, makes no difference to me. Its none of my business what others choose to spend their money on.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you saying that waiter/waitress jobs are low-end positions which do not deserve quality items and you would treat them with disrespect because of it?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would never even occur to me ... should my students pay less tuition to my university because I have pretty things? Sheesh!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FuturePsyD said:
No! If they are doing their job well, what would it matter what they are wearing? I would still tip 20%. The jewelry could be a gift, could be borrowed, etc. Why would I punish them for having great taste! :bigsmile:

Only on PS... :bigsmile: -- certainly have to admire their good taste!

Tip is based on service. I don't care what they're wearing. As others have mentioned, it could be a gift, an heirloom, borrowed from a friend, ....... OR they could have just saved up their tips and watched their budget so they could get something they could enjoy.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
No!!! Would you, DF?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC said:
Are you saying that waiter/waitress jobs are low-end positions which do not deserve quality items and you would treat them with disrespect because of it?
no,not me...a friend of mine who owns a restaurant told one of his waitress not to wear expensive jewelry cuz customers might tip her less than normal.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wages (whether salary, commision, tip, bonus...) is what you pay for a job well done and has no correlation on whether or not the person "needs" it. I have heard that you should be wearing new clothes, get a new car or mention an expensive vacation before asking for a raise, as your boss might think you don't "need" the raise!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
Wages (whether salary, commision, tip, bonus...) is what you pay for a job well done and has no correlation on whether or not the person "needs" it. I have heard that you should be wearing new clothes, get a new car or mention an expensive vacation before asking for a raise, as your boss might think you don't "need" the raise!
Shouldn't be, not should be. . .yeah, I read the same thing in a book about interviews. It went as far as to say a woman shouldn't wear any jewelry at all.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I would ONLY tip less if I got crappy service. If she was wearing nice jewelry we'd talk about it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously? Of course not. The tip reflects the service.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not. I give tips based on the service. If they do a great job, and they are smiling they get a good tip. If they are jerks, not as good. There's a girl at a restaurant where I order pick up, and she's always so nice I tip her, even though it's pick up.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
Absolutely not. I give tips based on the service. If they do a great job, and they are smiling they get a good tip. If they are jerks, not as good. There's a girl at a restaurant where I order pick up, and she's always so nice I tip her, even though it's pick up.
Is it weird to tip on pick up?

I do at the Chinese place down the street. They're really nice people and are situated in a not so tip happy locale. They sure remember who you are and sometimes we get free food in our order :D

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor said:
dragonfly411 said:
Is it weird to tip on pick up?

I do at the Chinese place down the street. They're really nice people and are situated in a not so tip happy locale. They sure remember who you are and sometimes we get free food in our order :D

I tip on pick up, but not the usual percentage, just a couple of bucks, depending on the size of the order.

Some cultures also do not really tip, so yes, maybe certain cultures will be less inclined to leave a tip if they see the person sporting nice jewelry. I consistently have to see how much tip my parents leave when we dine together because my mom has been known to stiff the waitress despite good service. She's not used to leaving a good tip, and complains when she has to leave 18% at a higher end restaurant.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MC said:
Lady_Disdain said:
Shouldn't be, not should be. . .yeah, I read the same thing in a book about interviews. It went as far as to say a woman shouldn't wear any jewelry at all.

Oooops - you are right, MC!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no, their tip depends on the service they provide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results