shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you spend extra on a super ideal?

Super ideals, would you care, and would you pay for it?

• I see the difference and would pay for it.

Votes: 48 62.3%
  • I see the difference and would not pay for it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I know there can be a difference but don't care enough to look for it, or pay for it.

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will certainly say that ignorance is bliss, but only if one stays ignorant forever! My greatest mistakes in jewelry in the past was not buying the best quality. So for me, the superideals I have bring me pleasure and never any regrets. Time passes and the amount I pay doesn't really matter any more. Even my antique style round is beautifully cut, and I just appreciate the artistry and talent involved in making beautifully cut stones. I recently had a yellow sapphire cut by Jeff White for the same reason. I do also have a well cut antique diamond, so the actual age is irrelevant to me!

@LLJsmom You mentioned something about wishing you could see a large superideal cut. I had the pleasure of visiting Whiteflash last year and I had the pleasure of trying on a 5.59 ct ACA which grateful4life was inquiring about at the time and bought shortly after! Talk about amazing!!!:love:

2016-02-05 5.59aca2.jpg

Thank you @diamondseeker2006. Truly I could only imagine a stone like that, because without having seen one in that size, and color, my puny brain cannot wrap itself around it. And if I got to see one IRL, my head would probably explode. :lol: I will think about visiting WF someday. It would be worth the pilgrimage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would defintely be fun to visit WF if you ever can! I have to say, though, I also get the pleasure of visiting with m-2-b every now and then, and her 4.7 ct ACA and studs that are around 2.4 each (and other pieces) are incredible, too!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would probably buy a super ideal could I afford the extra premium. Although I always say, I'm an eye clean person more than I am a mind clean. The last stone I sold, a 2.49 was a VVS-1. A clarity I never wanted but I got a good price for it so I bought it. I tend to gravitate to SI-1 stones because of their added value. It must of course, be eye clean. So to answer your question, no, I wouldnt pay full retail for a Super ideal stone. I would buy a preowned stone being sold on a consignment shop or from a member on LT/ DB to save some money. This is how I found an ACA for my brother friend & also a pair of studs for my sister in law. I know a pretty stone when I see it. I would rather not pay for a super ideal if I find that stones that are well cut look just as nice. I know that most of us, just simply want a pretty, well cut stone, of value & with great customer service. Then there are the group that have to have a super ideal stone because the people buying them say they are mind clean & have to have them.

Again, if I had the wallet, I would go for it all, eye clean, mind clean, super ideal. Not much to worry that has been missed after that. :D

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have probably seen less than 50 diamonds up close, in person and probably ~100 in online pictures (not including set stones at like kays or zales) with each diamond I can see some the differences and as I see better and better stones (all pre super ideal) I start nick picking the stone i saw before it and want more and better.

Before PS I thought this was just the nature of diamonds...now I'm obsessed and 100% will pay the premium.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't vote because I don't fit any of the choices.
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing in person Super Ideals versus Ideals.
I believe that I would see the difference and am willing to pay extra for a Super Ideal.
Maybe some of it is a mind-clean thing, but I think I'd notice a difference visually.

I'm thinking of a couple of diamond rings that I'd like to purchase eventually and wear daily.
I'm not interesting in having a variety of rings.
I like the 'one and done' approach, as much as possible. Buy what I want (or think I want) right off the bat. Although, I realize that an upgrade might be 'necessary' once I see something on my hand. :Up_to_something:

For something that I'll have for many years (hopefully!), the extra amount of money for a Super Ideal versus an Ideal, is worth it to me.

newjourney

Rough_Rock
I would spend extra, hands down. Diamonds are treasured for their rare natural properties but the appreciation for such properties would be lost had man not come along to process the roughs in a way that showcased their inherent beauty. If there's a human component, it had better be absolutely fantastic to befit something that took billion of years to form. Yes, it's debatable that SI stones always outperform other cuts in a line up since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me SI stones stands for more than just performance. They stand for the epitome of man and nature's contributions. They reflect man's deliberate and best efforts to meticulously and masterfully illuminate what nature has to offer. Precision cutting is therefore worth a premium.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would spend extra, hands down. Diamonds are treasured for their rare natural properties but the appreciation for such properties would be lost had man not come along to process the roughs in a way that showcased their inherent beauty. If there's a human component, it had better be absolutely fantastic to befit something that took billion of years to form. Yes, it's debatable that SI stones always outperform other cuts in a line up since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me SI stones stands for more than just performance. They stand for the epitome of man and nature's contributions. They reflect man's deliberate and best efforts to meticulously and masterfully illuminate what nature has to offer. Precision cutting is therefore worth a premium.

I agree with this. Appreciation of what nature gave us coupled with what man can do to showcase its ultimate beauty is the real description of a beautifully cut diamond. That is never lost on me and probably the reason that I wanted a super ideal stone. I have certainly not been disappointed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results