shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you send this old cut to GIA?

angela06

Shiny_Rock
I just purchased this loose stone from JBEG:
http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/loose_antique_and_vintage_diamonds_-_1_to_150_carats_page_2

It is absolutely beautiful, and the pictures don't do any justice to the beauty of this diamond. I wish I had my own pictures to show you, but my phone camera just can't do macro. :oops:

I also have the qualitative report from Dave Atlas, but should I send it to GIA before I set it? Once I set it, I don't want to take it out of the setting for a LOOOONG time, if ever. Is it worth it to send a stone like this to GIA? I am afraid that it will get a bad cut grade and de-value the stone. Also, I feel like I kind of want the GIA for insurance, in case I want to sell in the future.

Specs:

Thoughts on sending this to GIA before I set it?

download_8.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes i would just realize the specs won't paint it in a brilliant light since it is an old cut. I still like to have the GIA report for just color and clarity.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see no value in you now getting a GIA-report for this stone.

With the assessment of David Atlas, you already have established that it is a natural diamond, within a certain color- or clarity-range. Most importantly, you have already purchased it, so the GIA-report is not going to change anything.

Live long,

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Anyone else care to break the tie?

I think I mainly wanted to get the cert for "proof" of value, for insurance and certainty when I talk to others about it.
I am comfortable with what David says about it, and I love the way it looks to my eye, however my family is very conservative and would be horrified to know I bought a stone with no papers, so to speak.

Here are a couple photos I took with my phone. The last one is next to my E color three stone.
2014-01-12_15.jpg

Showing some body tint
2014-01-12_15_0.jpg

20140113_085530.jpg

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
I think that if you are going to want that info at some point (future sale?) that you might as well do it while it is unset. Do you have it already, or can Erica or Grace send it in for you?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IE_Princess|1389641901|3592096 said:
I think that if you are going to want that info at some point (future sale?) that you might as well do it while it is unset. Do you have it already, or can Erica or Grace send it in for you?

If the certificate is old it won't be very helpful in selling it. Unsetting a stone may not be terribly hard but it depends on how it is set. Either way you will probably end up unsetting it and getting a new appraisal if you do sell.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would send it to GIA even though it wouldn't necessarily make a difference. The diamond is unset and the price of a GIA cert is worth it to me just to have it .. in case I ever need it. Also, it will satisfy my personal curiosity of what GIA would grade it. I have sent stones to EGL and GIA just to satisfy my own curiosity so I am on one end of the spectrum.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it's necessary. I just reset my EGL certed K oec and contemplated sending it to Gia. But once I compared it to a GIA L and it's definitely lighter so there's no mis-grading on color. Ditto for inclusions. If and when the time comes to sell it I will most likely get a GIA report as buyer will want to see a report that is recent.. The stone could get damaged from now till then so why waste the time and money on a sheet of paper that only reinforces what I already know? I also had it appraised by Patrick Davis and he concluded the same as EGL. The report won't change how much you love the stone but if it comes back lower than what you thought it was it might change your view on it's value and cast self doubt on the price you've already paid.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Proof of value:
GIA doesn’t provide a value. That’s an appraisal. You would need to get this anyway, even if you DO send it to GIA.

Support for a future sale:
Assuming you’re not doing this as a business venture, meaning it isn’t for sale right now, you’ll be better off with an inspection right before it goes up for sale. GIA will probably still be around and, if they’re not, customers will want something else anyway. GIA regularly changes their format and occasionally changes their content and buyers want to see whatever is current.

Did you get what you paid for?
This is what the report from Atlas was for and, presumably it was persuasive enough to get you to do the deal in the first place. The burden is on David to convince you that his opinions have merit and on the seller to convince you that what you have really is David’s work and, I presume, both of these have been completed or you wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. It’s not clear to me if it even matters at this point. Are you still in the purchase negotiation? If GIA says something other than what you’re expecting, do you have the right to return it? If you can, and if they did, would you pursue a return/refund? If not, what’s the point?

Trust but verify.
Chances are good that you're going to have this mounted into something and then have it appraised for insurance purposes. This means you will already have the opportunity to discuss David's work with another grader of your own choosing.

In short, or not so short, no I don't see much benefit. At least I don't see the benefit in the reasons listed so far in this discussion. FWIW, I count David as a highly reliable grader.

angela06

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate the feed back from everyone who commented. It gave me something to think about in terms of exactly what a GIA report would give me that I don't already know. I actually did not realize that if I sold it later that a buyer would want a recent report. I thought that those reports were good forever since the qualities of a diamond don't change over time. However, I hadn't thought of potential damage to a stone. I trust the evaluation that David did, and I love the diamond and don't plan to sell anytime soon. I am looking forward to choosing a setting that I can love for a long time.

Thank you all for your input :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results