shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you reset an eternity ring that is 1/2 size too big?

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I would love some opinions. I ordered an eternity band that ended up being 1/2 size too big (size 5 vs size 4.5). I have the option of putting in sizing beads or having it reset (at an additional cost). I don't love the idea of sizing beads, as the ring itself I guess would still be wider than it should be, but am not sure that the difference is worth the additional cost.

The ring itself is 4.9 carats so it is already wide on my finger. I thought if it was the right size maybe it would sit a bit lower which would be preferable (although I guess there is no way to be sure of this).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
is it summer where you live ? so will be even looser in a few months ?

i think id still want to try thr sizing beads before forking out major cash on a reset

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t remake the ring just to go up a half size. Your finger size may go up due to many different reasons. You would have to remake it again. I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds to try the sizing beads first.

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock
is it summer where you live ? so will be even looser in a few months ?

i think id still want to try thr sizing beads before forking out major cash on a reset

Good point. It's the end of summer here so it will probably be looser in a few months.
I wouldn’t remake the ring just to go up a half size. Your finger size may go up due to many different reasons. You would have to remake it again. I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds to try the sizing beads first.

Thank you. It would be to go down half a size. Sounds like maybe the sizing beads are the way to go. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so that seems not ideal but maybe it will look just as good and be comfortable too.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about not two sizing beads that I think is typical -
But lower profile sizing ‘pads’ instead and more of them spread around?

If you are thinking that 1/2 size smaller would help it sit lower to your finger - and if that’s a sizeable concern you have whether it be a comfort or aesthetics issue- it may be more of a setting design issue or just goes hand in hand with that carat weight on an eternity?

Would love to see pictures :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I meant to say I wouldn’t go down a half size..not up..Multitasking..haha

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock
How about not two sizing beads that I think is typical -
But lower profile sizing ‘pads’ instead and more of them spread around?

If you are thinking that 1/2 size smaller would help it sit lower to your finger - and if that’s a sizeable concern you have whether it be a comfort or aesthetics issue- it may be more of a setting design issue or just goes hand in hand with that carat weight on an eternity?

Would love to see pictures :)

That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the response.

I've attached photos:). On my left hand the ring tilts to one side and just looks too big for my finger. My right ring finger is 1/2-3/4 size bigger than the left and I think it looks much better. I guess there's no guarantee that it would look better if I have it reset, but I figure it should

IMG_5083.JPG IMG_5082.JPG

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your jeweler wanting to charge you the full amount for another setting?
I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and get it done in the size you want/need.
But I’d do some heavy research if that alone would be enough to have it sit on your finger the way you want it to - or if indeed it’s a stone size issue or setting design issue.

Hopefully someone who has a ring similar to this will chime in.
It’d be shame to not be fully happy with wearing a 4.9 cttw eternity.

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock
Is your jeweler wanting to charge you the full amount for another setting?
I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and get it done in the size you want/need.
But I’d do some heavy research if that alone would be enough to have it sit on your finger the way you want it to - or if indeed it’s a stone size issue or setting design issue.

Hopefully someone who has a ring similar to this will chime in.
It’d be shame to not be fully happy with wearing a 4.9 cttw eternity.

No, it wouldn't be the full charge but it would still be more than having beads placed. You're right that it makes sense to try to find out if that would give me the result I'm looking for. Thanks for your thoughts.

vinotastic

Rough_Rock
I’m in the same boat. I am a solid 4.5-4.75 and my eternity band is a size 5. I either stack it or wear one of those pads as mentioned above. They were very inexpensive on amazon. Good luck!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Was the sizing error due to ordering it in the wrong size, or did it just end up being too big? If it's not an ordering error, perhaps the jeweler would be open to resetting it without an additional cost?

Do you expect to gain any weight or be pregnant in the future? Finger sizes can change with time and weather. My finger size has unfortunately gone up almost a full size since I got engaged.

Having a slightly larger ring can be nice, but it's also nice to have a ring that fits well and not at risk of falling off! I'm not an expert on resizing eternity rings, but it may not be easily reset with the same number and size of stones...

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you have to remove 1 diamond? The stones look to be set tightly next to each other so you'd have to go down in diamond size or reduce the diamond count. There isn't wiggle room as is. Having it remade means you could eliminate 1 stone, and ask for it to be made super low set. BUT there is the risk that the stones would end up having to be set slightly more apart, to get the correct internal diameter, which would be a very different look. Can you get them to 'do the math'?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its starting to get complicated ...
id get those sizing pad things from Amazon in the meantime so at least you can wear it while you deside what to do

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Would you have to remove 1 diamond? The stones look to be set tightly next to each other so you'd have to go down in diamond size or reduce the diamond count. There isn't wiggle room as is. Having it remade means you could eliminate 1 stone, and ask for it to be made super low set. BUT there is the risk that the stones would end up having to be set slightly more apart, to get the correct internal diameter, which would be a very different look. Can you get them to 'do the math'?

You could also have a small sizing bar at the back if you remove a stone. It wouldn't be quite an eternity ring at that point, but would be my preference over having stones set further apart...

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock
Was the sizing error due to ordering it in the wrong size, or did it just end up being too big? If it's not an ordering error, perhaps the jeweler would be open to resetting it without an additional cost?

Do you expect to gain any weight or be pregnant in the future? Finger sizes can change with time and weather. My finger size has unfortunately gone up almost a full size since I got engaged.

Having a slightly larger ring can be nice, but it's also nice to have a ring that fits well and not at risk of falling off! I'm not an expert on resizing eternity rings, but it may not be easily reset with the same number and size of stones...

The sizing error was my fault. The jeweler isn't local to where I live and I ordered what is usually my size. It seems that U-settings fit larger than their size because the skin goes into the grooves.

No future pregnancies (I'm in my late 40s) but I have thought about getting older and how people often get larger knuckles with arthritis.

I love the way the stones are set and would definitely not want to compromise how the ring looks. I need to ask the jeweler about all of this. Thanks!

diamondgirl2022

Rough_Rock

I don't know. I would hate to ruin the look of the ring. I will definitely have them do the math about this

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know. I would hate to ruin the look of the ring. I will definitely have them do the math about this

Would the jeweler be open to a total exchange? Then start over with the right size and pick diamond carat and quantity based on it? Maybe send your jeweler a cheapie ring in your finger size for reference?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try sizing beads or road bumps first before going through the expense of reset.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing this question out there...where would sizing beads be placed on an eternity? Having a hard time picturing it.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have it remade. Would drive me crazy

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I’d have it remade. Would drive me crazy

Me too. Such a short term hassle/expense but in the long run you’ll appreciate it. Sizing beads won’t change the fact it’ll stick out more around your finger, either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results