shape
carat
color
clarity

would you recut this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I bought this color-change amethyst on Ebay (I know what you''re thinking!), and I LOVE the color...outside, it''s sort of a teal with red/purple flashes, and inside, it''s a very lovely purple with red and teal flashes. It is really much prettier than these photos show. BUT....as you can see in the photos, it has a HONKER of a window. I think it''s large enough to recut, but don''t know if it''ll be worth the money. Any thoughts?

Specs are:
4.25 carats
9x10x5mm

Am159865.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would probably cost more to cut it than what you paid for it.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Considering I only paid $10 for it, I''d have a bit to spend!
41.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color change amethyst? Never heard of it. Do you have a pic of the color change?

When I was looking for my ering stone, I looked into getting stones recut. Apparently you need at least 5mm deep, but deeper is better. I don''t know that it would be worth it, because it would most certainly cost more to recut than the stone cost. Some cutters won''t even recut a stone unless it''s original cost would cost more than recutting it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this isn''t your original question, but just a word of caution about amethyst on ebay. Much of it is synthetic (man made), so know who you are buying from.

If I were you, and you wanted a nicely cut amethyst, I would try getting some four peaks material from Gary Dutton at diamondexpert.com. Barry Bridgestock, the lapidary that runs acstones.com, carries amethyst as well, but some of the finest material is the four peaks material, and Gary Dutton carries that.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
I think the color change is a sales trick. E-bay sellers keep on inventing their own nomenclature to make things more attractive. The "cange" is just the ordinary difference in hue of deep colored amethyst, depending on lightning type. Bluish violet in daylight and more reddish in incandescent light.

TL, I have a nice smokey quartz crystal with amazonite crystals from Four Peaks (CO) might that be the same location?

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Yea....I bet it''s probably synthetic. Oh well...at least it''s pretty to look at, and I''ve learned a lesson.

Thanks everyone!

Clem

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 6:41:01 PM
Author: cofor
I think the color change is a sales trick. E-bay sellers keep on inventing their own nomenclature to make things more attractive. The ''cange'' is just the ordinary difference in hue of deep colored amethyst, depending on lightning type. Bluish violet in daylight and more reddish in incandescent light.

TL, I have a nice smokey quartz crystal with amazonite crystals from Four Peaks (CO) might that be the same location?
No, the amethyst mine is four peaks in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results