shape
carat
color
clarity

Would You Re-Cut This?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Arriving shortly should be a 1.39 ct Mahenge Spinel, 7.5 x 5.3 mm x 4.4mm. Would you re-cut it? I want to set it with trilliants on the side in a ring. I was told that if it was recut it would still be over a carat.

23276.jpg

23278.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a lovely stone!

By recut, do you mean just a touch up to close the window or a full recut to a different shape? If there was no loss of face-up size (just a pavillion recut) then I might consider it. But, honestly, I think that window will close in a setting.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check it out in person first and see if anything bothers you enough, then look into the cost and effort at that point if there are flaws you'll have trouble overlooking.

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
The window really isn't that big. I wouldn't risk the chance of the color being compromised.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
delayedreaction|1309910179|2962326 said:
The window really isn't that big. I wouldn't risk the chance of the color being compromised.

Ditto

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
maybe you could get a foil backing put on it, as they did in days of olde

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I'll post more pictures when it arrives.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends if the oval is top heavy or bottom heavy. If the depth is sufficient (deep belly) and the stone clean enough (which it looks like), a pavilion only touch up will suffice with minimal carat weight loss and almost no discernable change in face up dimensions. Also, depending on how open you plan the setting to be, the window may not be as apparent once set.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If it were mine, at that size, I would not (unless I were really bored - fat chance of that happening anytime in the next 10 years :D ). The color is really good based on the picture. And except for folks in forums like this, most will never notice the window. Especially on something 7x5-ish. And on the second pic, the window is not apparent. Save the recut money for friends for it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If the window closes up in the setting you like, I would leave it. You can just sit the setting the prongs without actually having it set to see what happens. If the window is still there, and really bothers you, then I would consider recutting it if the face-up dimensions are okay with you.

Beautiful stone!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the vendor's photo where the spinel is on his hand, between his fingers, you can see that the window closes up mostly. So, I'd be inclined to think that with a good reasonably closed basket this wouldn't be so apparent once cut. I always hesitate to re-cut because of the potential change in colour and loss in weight. See what you think when it arrives though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1310062833|2963956 said:
If you look at the vendor's photo where the spinel is on his hand, between his fingers, you can see that the window closes up mostly. So, I'd be inclined to think that with a good reasonably closed basket this wouldn't be so apparent once cut. I always hesitate to re-cut because of the potential change in colour and loss in weight. See what you think when it arrives though.

I have a Mahenge with a similar sized window, in an oval, and it closed up rather well in a Princess Diana style setting. The window is more noticeable in the photo, but not nearly as much IRL. I think the fluor and the color help with that.

file.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310063112|2963959 said:
LovingDiamonds|1310062833|2963956 said:

I have a Mahenge with a similar sized window, in an oval, and it closed up rather well in a Princess Diana style setting. The window is more noticeable in the photo, but not nearly as much IRL. I think the fluor and the color help with that.

file.jpg

TL what does the underside of the basket look like?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's a typical basket setting for a Princess Diana ring. It is open. I can't really notice the window at all when I wear it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice color. I would not recut it.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Its not really noticeable in person. I won't be recutting it.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

spinelaqua.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh oh OH I love them both! - I actually love the colours together! That window ain't gonna be nothin' in a setting, so hurrah!

You will have such fun setting and wearing these gorgeous gems. Congratulations! :appl:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not really satisfied with my photos. I recently took a tour of Antelope Canyon in AZ. In order to take photos like the one below, the tour guide messed with my camera settings and I can't figure out how to get them back. Add in PS washing out colors and my photos look dull.

261511_10100517282842931_10050041_60290962_3999999_n.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel and the aqua are almost the same size....what about setting them together in a bypass ring like below?

pZALE1-8323696t400.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results