shape
carat
color
clarity

would you rather have diamond or...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
would you rather have a 1 carat diamond ring or a jadeite ring for both the same price around $6,000 USD ?

I just grab the picture online, the ring does not belong to me :) that is the stone's natural color, so pretty

0903092225dc885726aabd49ae.jpg.thumb.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
IT depends what the ring is for. If it's an engagement ring, wedding set, etc, definitely the diamond. If it's more like a personal statement ring, I'd probably go for a gemstone as opposed to a diamond.

btw-the greed in that pic is absolutely gorgeous!

eta-I saw that I misspelled the word "green" above, but because my "greed" was showing and I found it funny, I figured I'd leave it!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty but diamond hands down
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:08:24 PM
Author: Skippy123
9.gif

Ditto :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For an e-ring, a diamond, hands down. For a RHR or other occasion ring, a gorgeous translucent/transparent grade A jade would be divine.
30.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always a diamond!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 9:04:46 PM
Author: somethingshiny
IT depends what the ring is for. If it''s an engagement ring, wedding set, etc, definitely the diamond. If it''s more like a personal statement ring, I''d probably go for a gemstone as opposed to a diamond.

eta-I saw that I misspelled the word ''green'' above, but because my ''greed'' was showing and I found it funny, I figured I''d leave it!!
ROFL!
9.gif

I would DEFINITELY get the diamond . . . DEFINITELY!!! Although the jadeite is a really gorgeous shade of greed! LOL!
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''d rather have a diamond.

Very pretty jadeite!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:46:37 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 3/9/2009 9:04:46 PM
Author: somethingshiny
IT depends what the ring is for. If it''s an engagement ring, wedding set, etc, definitely the diamond. If it''s more like a personal statement ring, I''d probably go for a gemstone as opposed to a diamond.

eta-I saw that I misspelled the word ''green'' above, but because my ''greed'' was showing and I found it funny, I figured I''d leave it!!
ROFL!
9.gif

I would DEFINITELY get the diamond . . . DEFINITELY!!! Although the jadeite is a really gorgeous shade of greed! LOL!
2.gif
ha ha ha ha ha

Bia

Ideal_Rock
diamond

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
diamond
17.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My choice would be a diamond! The ring you''re considering is beautiful, but for me, I like smaller ring designs and I''m not really into colored stones (all I wear are diamonds).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond !! really hard to put a value on a piece of jade.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Diamond. Diamond. Diamond.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond, but the jadeite ring would be a beautiful rhr!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring, but I would go for the diamond!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif
Ditto. Period.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:37:34 AM
Author: Gypsy

9.gif
Ditto. Period.
Thritto. Diamond for sure.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
always go for the color....even as an e-ring. diamonds just don''t do it for me.....well, the champagnes do! choice between a champagne diamond and the green i''d go the champagne.

mz

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Diamond. But that''s just because diamonds are so sparkly!.... (I''m like a raccoon- attracted to anything shiny or sparkly!)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:43:01 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 3/9/2009 9:29:41 PM
Author: Deelight

9.gif

Ditto :D
Thritto
9.gif
And again. It''s nice, but doesn''t have the lovely sparkle my hand craves. Sorry!
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamundo!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I would pick the jadeite ring, given it comes with proper certification to make sure it's grade A jade (not treated)

I'm not an expert in Jade but this jadeite looks between icy and glassy-variety (glassy-variety is the best in jadeite, icy-variety is second best..
2.gif
) the colour is nice, but I would ask the seller to take more pictures, especially under the sun so you can see the true colour of it...

Normally, the jadeite's colour will seem lighter in the sun and so not a lot of seller willing to take those pics...

If this pic is the true colour of the jade, then it's actually a pretty nice colour and it does look like grade A jade (given the yellow glow at the left bottom corner of the jade, type B will have more of bluish/grey/white glow)

I was once told by a Jade expert that always choose the variety first, the colour of the Jade when looking at purchasing Jadeite..

Just my 2 cents~

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Diamond for the ering - you can always get a jadeite later (it is beautiful though!)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I love that color green, and would like as a broach or even a pendant...I don''t really wear any other rings that I have. I have several... and only wear my wedding bands.

I think I''d just use the $6k towards a diamond upgrade!
28.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond, easy.

Why do you ask?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
diamond...but that jade is stunning and it is a hard choice between a diamond and true imperial jade!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Where do you live?
If you''re in the US no one is going to appreciate the jade. maybe you have a strong character and you don''t care, but it can be hard to be wearing something beautiful and have to explain what it is to people all the time.
the 2nd issue is that it is harder to make sure that you are getting true imperial jade than it is to ensure that you get a good quality diamond. there''s all kinds of fake jade and reconstituted jade out there, you have to be VERY careful.
3rd issue--if its an engagement, I''d prefer to go with diamond.
But on the other hand, if you can get guarantees that it IS true imperial jade, it''s much more rare and more valuable than diamond and its certainly very beautiful and if you were to ask me what I''d do, if it was anything but an engagement ring, I''d pick the jade.
P.S. Maybe you could have guessed that that would be my answer from my name!
(I named myself after after a character in a famous novel, Dai Yu in Chinese--the name actually doesn''t mean Black Jade so much as Eye-makeup-black Jade. I think its a beautiful name even though the character doesn''t get her man and she dies young!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results