shape
carat
color
clarity

would you rather have diamond or...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Always a diamond.

swl

Shiny_Rock
I am asking this question because first, it's true that it's really hard to value Jade because every single piece is different and if the characteristic is in the glass class with a special type of green (there are many names for green for Jade in Chinese, can't really translate them into english), that piece is worth $6,000 now could possibly go up to $10,000 about 5 years from now.

From an investor's perspective, diamonds will always have good set of price, but having a piece of grade A jade with certificate in the glassy category is kind of like how ever much you want to price it.... but someone did tell me if i am looking to invest in it, i should get something that's at least $10,000 now and wait for the item to increase its resale value...

p.s.: why do you think Jade is not popular at all in America or Europe?

here is another one that i am looking at (this one is a lot more expensive):

T1hyFXXi4g5wxXXXXX.jpg_310x310.jpg

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 1:50:48 PM
Author: Black Jade
Where do you live?

If you're in the US no one is going to appreciate the jade. maybe you have a strong character and you don't care, but it can be hard to be wearing something beautiful and have to explain what it is to people all the time.

the 2nd issue is that it is harder to make sure that you are getting true imperial jade than it is to ensure that you get a good quality diamond. there's all kinds of fake jade and reconstituted jade out there, you have to be VERY careful.

3rd issue--if its an engagement, I'd prefer to go with diamond.

But on the other hand, if you can get guarantees that it IS true imperial jade, it's much more rare and more valuable than diamond and its certainly very beautiful and if you were to ask me what I'd do, if it was anything but an engagement ring, I'd pick the jade.

P.S. Maybe you could have guessed that that would be my answer from my name!

(I named myself after after a character in a famous novel, Dai Yu in Chinese--the name actually doesn't mean Black Jade so much as Eye-makeup-black Jade. I think its a beautiful name even though the character doesn't get her man and she dies young!)

ya, my co-worker thinks jade is just a piece of green stone, hahaha~

have you read the novel? i love the novel, but don't really like the character Dai Yu, haha. Yes, she's pretty, yes, she's delicate, but i feel like her own misfortune is caused by her personality
7.gif
but the name Dai Yu is very beautiful indeed :) Dai is a really dark glossy green that use to to describe jade :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I''m in the US and the reason I don''t see it as popular is that it''s never been considered a "status symbol," and like your co-worker, I basically see it as a green stone! The jade that is sold around by me probably isn''t the high-quality stuff and that is why it''s so inexpensive. I would have never guess that that ring would be comparable to a $6000 diamond.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
For me, the diamond.

But I agree it depends on personal preference and what the ring is for - for a non-engagement ring, I''d be more tempted by a colored stone if it was one of my favorite colors/stone species.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 4:11:45 PM
Author: swl
I am asking this question because first, it's true that it's really hard to value Jade because every single piece is different and if the characteristic is in the glass class with a special type of green (there are many names for green for Jade in Chinese, can't really translate them into english), that piece is worth $6,000 now could possibly go up to $10,000 about 5 years from now.

From an investor's perspective, diamonds will always have good set of price, but having a piece of grade A jade with certificate in the glassy category is kind of like how ever much you want to price it.... but someone did tell me if i am looking to invest in it, i should get something that's at least $10,000 now and wait for the item to increase its resale value...

p.s.: why do you think Jade is not popular at all in America or Europe?

here is another one that i am looking at (this one is a lot more expensive):
i know nothing about jade,but i've heard there're many artificially colored jade,so be careful !!

my wife loss some beautiful jades to a robbery that was inherited from her mom.

swl

Shiny_Rock
i am sorry to hear that
7.gif
i will probably go to a really reputable store if i paying so much for it :) they say most lower priced jades are either B class or C class<< fake ones.

but thing with jade is the more you look around the more you want to buy because every piece is different....

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
altho that ring is not my taste i still think its very beautiful.
But I''d go for the diamond

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Diamond!

The jadeite is pretty but IMHO no match for the sparkle of a diamond!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:03:56 PM
i am sorry to hear that
7.gif
i will probably go to a really reputable store if i paying so much for it :) they say most lower priced jades are either B class or C class<< fake ones.

but thing with jade is the more you look around the more you want to buy because every piece is different....
I totally agree with you~~ Because that''s what happened to me.. I was on a jade shopping spree two years ago..
The second one that you posted is way better colour/quality than the first one (and of course size matters too) so that''s probably why it''s a lot more expensive...

swl

Shiny_Rock
wow, your bangle is very "watery!" it must be really expensive...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:13:58 AM
Author: movie zombie
always go for the color....even as an e-ring. diamonds just don''t do it for me.....well, the champagnes do! choice between a champagne diamond and the green i''d go the champagne.

mz
Ditto MZ. I''m a color person too. If we were talking colored diamonds though, the jadeite wouldn''t even have a chance..

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If the jade is real and is a great colour and piece then it''s no contest for me.

Jade.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m a DIAMOND gal! The only other color stone I would have for an e-ring is a pink diamond...even though Blue sapphires are gorgeous as e-rings too

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:55:26 AM
wow, your bangle is very 'watery!' it must be really expensive...
Thank you swl~ it was my birthday present two years ago from FI... I saw it on eBay and it was love at first sight but the price was over my limit.... So I kept on going back to drool at it for awhile and FI knew how much I love this bangle so he bought it (at 15% lower than "buy it now" and the final price is around 2500 USD
9.gif
)

When I received the bangle, it actually came with a Jade certificate from a reputable gem lab from Taiwan!! I did know it's class A from the pics that the seller sent me before but the certificate reassured my thought.
5.gif

Anyhow, the bangle is consider to be icy-bean variety (very small bean) and what you see in the pic is actual colour IRL...

The colour has become more watery over the years (I guess that's a good thing) and I just noticed that there's one small spot on the bangle has turned into very very light green
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
The jade ring is very cool!

I''m not sure what I would decide, personally. I like diamonds. But I am a huge color girl, too. I''m definitely not one that buys for status, so I would go with whichever would make me smile to see day after day.

grapegravity- love your bangle
30.gif

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 3:48:34 PM
Author: icekid
The jade ring is very cool!

I''m not sure what I would decide, personally. I like diamonds. But I am a huge color girl, too. I''m definitely not one that buys for status, so I would go with whichever would make me smile to see day after day.

grapegravity- love your bangle
30.gif
Thanks icekid!
1.gif
I also have the matching ring, thanks to my siblings!

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:33:24 PM
Author: grapegravity
Date: 3/11/2009 12:55:26 AM

wow, your bangle is very 'watery!' it must be really expensive...

Thank you swl~ it was my birthday present two years ago from FI... I saw it on eBay and it was love at first sight but the price was over my limit.... So I kept on going back to drool at it for awhile and FI knew how much I love this bangle so he bought it (at 15% lower than 'buy it now' and the final price is around 2500 USD
9.gif
)

When I received the bangle, it actually came with a Jade certificate from a reputable gem lab from Taiwan!! I did know it's class A from the pics that the seller sent me before but the certificate reassured my thought.
5.gif

Anyhow, the bangle is consider to be icy-bean variety (very small bean) and what you see in the pic is actual colour IRL...

The colour has become more watery over the years (I guess that's a good thing) and I just noticed that there's one small spot on the bangle has turned into very very light green
1.gif

your bangle's light purple color is just so gorgeous! wow, your bean variety must be really really tiny, it looks like "icy sticky rice" variety to me! I am really glad you found an A grade jade online, cause $2500 USD is a lot of money :)

the thing about jade's pricing is it's kind of all over the place. the same item could be $100 or $1000. It all depends on if you think it worths that price or not. But the great thing is if you see one that you fall in love with completely, that means you two have "yuan fen", you two are meant to be together :) that's why it's like a lot more special than diamonds, cause diamonds are all the same (artificially cut and scientifically graded) but for jade, it is so depending on which piece you fall in love with.

so how long have you been wearing it? i have heard a lot of stories about jade pieces turning more watery over time and its color intensifies. It's so cute how they put it- "raising a jade." many people believe every piece of jade is alive, it has its own spirit and the more you wear it, or raise it, the closer it is to you and it will protect you from harm. Like my grandma told me her friend (an old lady) fell on the ground once and her bangle broke into pieces but she was completely fine, the jade took all the pressure and protected her.

the whole thing with jade is just so cool, so philosophical and historical.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
DIAMOND!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results