shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather have 1ct H VS2 or 1.25ct I VS2 RB?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
So, my boyfriend and I have come up with a budget for my ring for approximately 6500$. I think he would rather get the 1ct H VS2 but I''m leaning more towards the ~1.25 ct I VS2 (now, these are both ACA diamonds from WF)

I will be mounting it in a 6 prong 18 kt Yellow Gold ring with Platinum head (just the stock piece from WF) and then re-setting it in Mark Morrell''s Torchiere Setting hopefully soon after we are engaged!

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Torchiere_1.23ct_18k_plat_/slides/Torchiere_1.23ct_18k_plat_003.html

Any opinions or what you would do?

thanks!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the bigger diamond!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d get the smaller diamond only because I prefer more understated looks. My idea size stone would be about a .75-.80 because I''m very self conscious about jewelry.

Unless you''re very color sensitive, you shouldn''t be able to tell the difference between the H or I stones when viewed from the top, so if you want the bigger one make it well known to your boyfriend!

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the bigger stone. The difference in an H and I are very minimal and once set probably completely unnoticable. When you are dealing with a ideal cut stone color is less noticable so you can save money by choosing a lower color and clarity. Good Luck!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Bigger gets my vote! With an ACA I''d go J or even K. So H or I would be a-ok with me anyday. And I can certainly tell the difference between 1 and 1.25 personally.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
If they are good cuts, get the 1.25 "I". You probably won''t notice the color diff between the two....at least not too much!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It always helps to look at and compare the the two colors in person under natural lighting (not jewelry store) to see how color sensitive you are.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go for the bigger I anyday. Assuming all the rest is equivalent, you''ll notice the size more than you ever would the colour in that ct. range.

cmms

Rough_Rock
Bigger.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it sounds like you would like the bigger stone. i would totally go that route. you don''t want to have to ''settle'' now and wish later that you could have had it. as far as the color goes, they may be virtually indistinguishable from the top and the setting you are looking at covers the sides (where any hint of color would show up) well. i said all of that to say that you won''t regret getting the bigger stone!
2.gif
go for it!

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
I''d go with the bigger stone but I like them that 1.25 ct size.. Why does your BF prefer the 1ct? Is it the color or the price or does he just like a smaller stone??

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the bigger stone.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I looked at H and I stones at the appraiser last week and ended up with the bigger "I". That stone was ACA from Whiteflash. You may want to look at the stones with your own eyes at an appraiser like I did. My guess is that if you saw them side by side it would be hard to tell the difference. You would be able to see the difference in size very clearly. Go for the biggie!!!
31.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
The color between H and I is close enough that I would go for the size. If the diamond is well-cut you''ll never see the color anyway.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
DEFINITELY the larger one. As others have said the difference between H and I is commonly unnoticeable to the layman''s eye. I know I''ve seen some gorgeous stones (i.e. Mara and J Crow) that are J SI2 and look like they cost a million bucks. No one will notice the color grade, but they will certainly notice the size. I''m going as big as I can afford while still maintaining the "eye-clean" look for my fiance-to-be
2.gif
. Just my opinion, but I assume that''s what you''re looking for here with such a subjective question
5.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yupparoo, i''d go for the bigger one too! but i would also have them both sent to a local independent appraiser so i could view them both.... you never know what might appeal to you more and why.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Bigger. Definitely bigger.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
That''s a no brainer for me!

In fact, I''d probably drop color even more (and clarity, too) and get EVEN BIGGER STILL!!!! My idea of fun is taking my budget and seeing how BIG I can go. (Assuming a killer cut, *white*, eyeclean stone, of course!)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Since the diamonds are ACA''s, I say bigger is better
30.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Bigger. Would you consider dropping to a nice SI1? You may be able to go a little bit bigger still........

sera

Ideal_Rock
If I could see the color in the "I", I''d definitely go with the smaller one. I would want to see them before deciding- in poorly cut stones the color is pretty obvious, but in an ACA it is likely I would not see it.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I *am* leaning towards the I VS2 (I really DO want bigger!) however the SO thinks H is the safer color. I just wanted confirmation from you I stone people that the difference is virtually indistinguishable!

I will now hint my hardest that carat not color is more important!

31.gif

Lv2shopp

Shiny_Rock
Bigger for sure
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go for the smaller one but I prefer smaller jewelry. All things being equal I think most people would pick the larger stone.

diamanteperfetto

Rough_Rock
I purchased a 1.25 ct. I color VS2 ACA diamond from whiteflash a few weeks ago. I couldn''t be happier!!!! I hope that helps :).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my earrings, I chose .75 H VS2 ACA''s. That is a tough decision because I do think 1.25 is going to be noticably larger. So even though I prefer H color, I think I''d have to try the larger I VS2.

My only other bit of advice is to save $100 and get the 14k yg setting since you are planning to immediately change to a Mark Morrell setting anyway. I can''t think of any reason to get the 18k setting as a temp setting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bigger bigger bigger! I have AGS 0, I/VS2 WF Expert Selection (missed being ACA by a smidge) diamond earrings and they are white as can be. (Although sadly, they''re nowhere near 1.25 carats!) I would go for an I color ACA without a doubt, and would try to find an eyeclean I/SI1 or SI2 so I could have an even bigger diamond! I''d also consider a J ACA, too!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing to consider: get both diamonds shipped to an independent appraiser and compare them side by side! It would probably be a few hundred dollars, but I think it would be worth it if your boyfriend is really that unsure. Or you could always have him check out all the GORGEOUS I, J and K ACAs here on Pricescope!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I asked the same question this summer when I was considering between two stones, both from WF and got the same answers from PS''rs--Go with the I and a larger stone. A no-brainer someone said. I did and I am so happy with my ring. Mine is still under a carat--but so much bigger than I ever thought I could afford--I am thrilled. Mine is an eyeclean S12 and looks great. You can''t order diamonds like they are dessert on a menu but if a diamond pops up that is SI1 or 2 don''t discount them at all. WF was very honest with about how mine looked. I could care less what it looks like in a loupe--just how it looks on my hand.

1.25 is really a whopper of a size--it will really stand out, and look so fabulous in that beautiful setting--I vote for BIGGER!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results