shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you prefer a heated or unheated sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Just looking for your quick opinions.

Q: Would you prefer a heated or unheated sapphire?

Why?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m with SanDiegoLady - I don''t really care one way or the other. They are both beautiful.
1.gif
I''m not a purist when it comes to gems...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My color change sapphire is unheated. I have nothing against heated stones at all but for some reason I really like the idea that the color change is totally natural.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen unheated stones compared to heated stones and I have to say, the heated stones have appeared to be it a bit more livelier. That is probably because I haven''t seen a beautiful unheated stone in person...... Catmom''s sapphire is simply stunning. Catmom... you really lucked out on such a beautiful rarity!!!!!
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2008 9:20:16 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
I have seen unheated stones compared to heated stones and I have to say, the heated stones have appeared to be it a bit more livelier. That is probably because I haven''t seen a beautiful unheated stone in person...... Catmom''s sapphire is simply stunning. Catmom... you really lucked out on such a beautiful rarity!!!!!
36.gif
Thanks CCN!! I''ve heard more than one person say that they thought unheated sapphires were less lively than heated and I always have to shake my head because in my experience my unheated is livelier than my heated.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in my case... my unheated sapphire is livelier than my heated (sent the heated back)........ Honestly, I wouldn''t sneeze at either heated or unheated ...as long as the sapphire sings to you. I just love your sapphire/ ring CAtmon! DROOL!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
oh boy, I'm the ultimate flip-flopper on this issue....

Jeff White was bringing in amazing stones for me to look at....I told him there was no need for unheated as it didn't *bother* me one way or the other.

But then I fell in LOVE with one that was way more $$, both unheated (or very lightly heated) and untreated, and to die for.

So I can't give you a scientific or logical explanation, but there was something about the idea of it not being tampered with that I liked... so I sent him the $$!

That being said, I was told that *most* sapphires have a bit of heating applied to them to bring out the best colour. And that the treatments then go on from there.

(so there's *heated* and *treated* stones...with heated being less invasive than the others.)

I'll see if I can find some articles on the subject. There are lots.

LS

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Untreated for all the gems I have purchased. For sapphires my own personal reasons:

1) I have seen what some heated/treated stones look like before they are heated/treated to look nice. Those kinds of images stick in mind when looking at even nice heated sapphires. Mind's eye view.

2) I like the gems I purchase to have a high degree of rarity factor. Truly fine looking sapphires are rare anyway... but fine looking that have no treatment at all are extremely rare. Except for cutting they are as nature made them. Emotional view.

3) Relatively speaking - for the rarity they possess(over treated)I think untreated sapphires carry only a "modest" premium. Investment view.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2008 12:21:08 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
in my case... my unheated sapphire is livelier than my heated (sent the heated back)........ Honestly, I wouldn''t sneeze at either heated or unheated ...as long as the sapphire sings to you. I just love your sapphire/ ring CAtmon! DROOL!!

Oops.. I meant my heated sapphire is livelier than my unheated.........
3.gif
I think it has alot to do with the faceting pattern/cut that will make the stone explode!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a beautiful sapphire.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

As long as it''s beautiful and it sings to me, I''d get it.

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
If I had the choice I would prefer unheated only because I like the idea of it being natural and maybe more of a "one of a kind".... but I definitely wouldn't turn down the right heated stone either!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results