shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you post your bling photos on facebook

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
What would you think if someone/your friend posted photos of their bling on fb? Are you going to think that they're bragging or would you be genuinely happy for them

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
never....

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm a pretty simple creature. Bling makes me happy, period. Bling on a friend is no exception and I would be happy for her (or him).
Saying that, I found an entry somewhere online a few months ago that gave me pause about showing bling things on FB. I think it was at a wedding site that polled if showing an e-ring on FB is tacky. It surprised me how many people responded that it was. :errrr:

I am getting engaged in about a month and have decided to announce it with a boyfriend hug and wearing the ring from a distance. I may send shots to my closest buddies. Unfortunately I have a couple of frenamies from the business world who are catty and would certainly find a way to pick the ring apart. It already happened a little bit, "really? you would spend THAT kind of money on an e-ring. I think big rings are tacky". For my area, my 1+ carat is larger than usual, so I won't paint a target on my back.

Why oh why are some women SOOO catty?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I posed this same question in the "flaunting jewelry" thread. I would never post my bling on FB. My "bling" comes in various forms: designer handbags & shoes, jewelry, etc. and I wouldn't consider any of it fair game for FB posts because it would be tacky. I have a friend who does it and it's not flattering. My only exception would be a newly engaged couple. Obviously, the ring is an integral part of the engagement, so posting an engagement photo with the ring is not that tacky IMO.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, because I know someone who was robbed by a "friend." :nono: :nono: :nono:

I understand why people don't show their rings on facebook but I wish they would. I love them, especially the newly engaged and proposal pictures!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I accidentally made my profile pic a pic of Kenny's colored diamond shots a long time ago, lol. I fixed it pretty quickly and it looked like an art print not bragging so no one said anything. I may have also posted my ER but that was years ago and I don't think many people were on FB then.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I personally don't put my stuff up on my personal facebook account more for security. However if others do I don't care. I love looking at jewelry, I don't really care who owns it or if it tacky or not!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it were something I made? Yeah, sure! If it were some incredibly beautiful vintage piece and I was pointing out some nifty detail about the craftsmanship? Quite possibly. Have I ever done either of the above? Nope, because I'm a Luddite who barely uses FaceBook! But I think I can recall doing both back in the heady days of LiveJournal, more or less in the same way that my friends would post chunks of their short stories or pictures of the beehive they were setting up on their roof or links to their cool new organic vegan gluten-free caramel shops on Etsy. I'm always happy to see people following their bliss. (Man.)

That said ... would I be a little taken aback if EVERY post was a pic of their new Cartier watch/Hermes Birkin/Tiffany studs, with a lot of emphasis on brand name, value, carat weight, etc? YUP. I think it's less the subject and more the presentation, if that makes sense ....

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I don't, and when I got engaged a couple years ago, I didn't.

I also admit, my knee-jerk response to seeing someone else do it is, "tacky."

However, when people don't do it, I am disappointed, because I wanted to scope it out! Which makes me some sort hypocrite, I guess.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my facebook friends would probably all think WTF, and either see it as showing off or incredibly crass, I don't think many people get the jewellery thing unless you are another person who loves jewellery.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1403270565|3697185 said:
If it were something I made? Yeah, sure! If it were some incredibly beautiful vintage piece and I was pointing out some nifty detail about the craftsmanship? Quite possibly. Have I ever done either of the above? Nope, because I'm a Luddite who barely uses FaceBook! But I think I can recall doing both back in the heady days of LiveJournal, more or less in the same way that my friends would post chunks of their short stories or pictures of the beehive they were setting up on their roof or links to their cool new organic vegan gluten-free caramel shops on Etsy. I'm always happy to see people following their bliss. (Man.)

That said ... would I be a little taken aback if EVERY post was a pic of their new Cartier watch/Hermes Birkin/Tiffany studs, with a lot of emphasis on brand name, value, carat weight, etc? YUP. I think it's less the subject and more the presentation, if that makes sense ....

I agree with this - I think that a lot of it is in the manner in which something is presented. There's a big difference between an in-you-face-brag-a-thon and a genuine desire to share something of meaning. If one of my FB friends posted some new bling in a way that was meant to share in their joy (as opposed to bragging/flaunting), then I'd be happy for them.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually got called out by a FB friend for "liking" so many jewel posts... :-o

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My IRL friends know I'm a jewlery whore, but I don't post many of my bling pics on my personal page. I did, however, start an official page where I post my bling photography and a try to help educate my non PS friends. I figure those folks are there because they want to see it, so I'm quite gratuitous. I also did photography of friend's bling so it's not all mine, but it still makes me happy. I figure if people don't like it or want to judge me, that's their problem. My love of bling is part of who I am.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I don't think sharing jewellery on FB is tacky. That being said, I don't do it often. It is a quick, easy way to show friends/family in the States who I know would like to see, so I'll do it maybe once or twice a year.

I save gratuitous bling photos for IG, and I love seeing others' on there as well.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justginger|1403277102|3697244 said:
I don't think sharing jewellery on FB is tacky. That being said, I don't do it often. It is a quick, easy way to show friends/family in the States who I know would like to see, so I'll do it maybe once or twice a year.

I save gratuitous bling photos for IG, and I love seeing others' on there as well.

Your IG makes me happy!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, too much risk of robbery. And I live in Americas 4th snobbish city so that would confirm it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not post jewelry photos for security reasons. I love looking at jewelry photos and wouldn't find it tacky if someone else chose to do so. I also would be genuinely happy for anyone getting engaged! It's such a happy time in someone's life and should be celebrated by your friends and family.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not on FB so I do not understand the culture there, but if I had a FB account was under my real name I would not post pics of any valuables.

I do not see such pics as bragging, rather as a security risk.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not post my bling on facebook.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't post pictures of my bling on FB but I have seen others post pictures of their new houses or cars, and I am geniunely happy for them. We bought a new car in January and while I was very excited because it was a type and brand that we had not owned in the past, I decided not to post a picture on FB.

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
Pardon my ignorance but what is IG?

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
You guys make interesting point on security risk, though it is less of a concern here (hey but who knows?). I do like athena's idea about an official page, cause then that wouldn't be a personal thing.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
jeniroquai|1403304782|3697551 said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is IG?

Instagram. The land of jaw-dropping bling.

AW: that is such a lovely compliment, thank you. YOU are the one that has the most amazing IG account!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
No. I don't want anyone to know what I have. Real life friends see it when we get together but I don't want FB acquaintances to know about my obsession ;)) Now I have to learn about IG. Hate to feel like I'm missing out :sun:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I would not.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a FB account. There is a secret society group of PSers on FB... :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1403275292|3697230 said:
I actually got called out by a FB friend for "liking" so many jewel posts... :-o

That is precisely why I added a FB account just for my jewelry hobby!!!

And no, I would never post jewelry on FB. I certainly think there is nothing wrong with a couple posting a ring pic when they get engaged, though.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1403273504|3697214 said:
No, my facebook friends would probably all think WTF, and either see it as showing off or incredibly crass, I don't think many people get the jewellery thing unless you are another person who loves jewellery.

Exactly what my friends must think. I have only shown my "stuff" to a few good friends and they hardly get it at all. They surely must think I have a sad affliction :lol:
As far as posting on facebook? that would be a really weird thing to do. Thank goodness for PS where we can not only talk about our jewelry, we can even say how much it costs and no one blinks an eye that we are talking about that normally taboo subject.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no way would I post my bling on FB.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never. I very rarely post anything on FB and only check it when someone messages me there. The only reason I joined a few years back was because a good friend of mine who lives very far asked me to join so I could see pictures of her family and keep updated that way. And I also posted some pics. I don't regret joining but I also don't get the FB craze and sharing every single mundane thing that is going on in your life. And I don't even know what twitter is because I never cared to check it out. I guess I am falling behind the times. :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results