shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you pay less for your wedding ring.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
.....if it meant getting the photographer that you love?

I really want a 5 stone diamond shared prong wedding band when we renew our vows. But that leaves less money for a photographer. The one I want to use shot my sister''s wedding and the photos are amazing. I have found a less expensive photographer but I prefer this company. The price different is around £1300 - $2600

I don''t want to get the ring later because I want to wear the ring he gives me on the day for the rest of my life. It matters to me that I do this.

I''m just wondering if I should choose a different ring..... Or maybe cut corners somewhere else.....

What would you do?
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I am not an expert in this area, but have you met with the more budget friendly photographer? If not, it might be a good idea, then you will be able to view the full portfolio and have a chance to see if you will be able to work with this person just as well as the other. If all else fails, I would rank in order what is most important to you and your fiance for your wedding. Items lower on the list might be areas where you can cut costs.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this is just a vow renewal, any chance of moving it back a bit to save some more? Or is there a certain date you have set to do this?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d be sentimental and go with the ring.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t want to wait any longer than we are. Its something we both really feel the need to do and we would prefer to keep that date. We don''t want to pay for anything on credit either so getting a loan or using a card isn''t possible either. We are going to use our savings.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 11:29:27 AM
Author: Harriet
I''d be sentimental and go with the ring.
I know that I will look at my ring far more than I will look at the photographs.
1.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like you want to have THAT ring then. I would try to cut corners elsewhere. Do you have a local art school? Photography students often have portfolios and are much cheaper than the pros.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really do want that ring. Its beautiful. Our problem is that we don''t have any photos from our original wedding. So photos are important too. I am just trying to work out which is more important.
4.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Can you see if you can hire the photog. for fewer hours? Or do they do an a la carte pricing so you can choose what you want more?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Well.. maybe you can do a digital-only option with your photog where you're paying for the shots and the post processing, but they give you a CD instead of prints/albums. Then you can have the prints/albums made later when your funds loosen up a little. I have friends who even made their own album online with shutterfly (I think) and it looks professional. It's glossy, bound, imprinted on the cover with their names/date etc.

Negotiate! There's always wiggggggle room.

ETA: it looks like your preferred photographer does charge quite a bit for the album, but discounts for weekdays and off-season, any chance that you'll qualify as a weekday between January and March?

p.s. what happened to the NYC renewal?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The discount option is a very good idea. We don't mind the midweek date as long as its near our wedding anniversary date.

The NY plan fell through. I am very diasappointed. Gary has to get a visa to be able to visit the US and he doesn't want to take the chance the he may be refused entry. We decided it was better to do it closer to home.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh bummer. That''s too bad, the whole visa situation with this country seems to be getting rapidly out of hand
20.gif

I looks like your less favored photog is 799 for digitals only, the favorite one is 1690 for digis only, and less if you do a weekday. If we''ve paired the cost difference down to less than 900 pounds, does that help?

(also I''m sure you know you''ll want to take off the five stone for some things, but I totally get wanting to have it blessed as THE RING at the vow renewal)

So when''s the new target dateish?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes £900 does seem a bit better!

Our wedding anniversary is 16th september and we want to do it in 2009. It actually falls on a wednesday so that works out quite well for the discount too!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 11:57:31 AM
Author: Stephanie
Can you see if you can hire the photog. for fewer hours? Or do they do an a la carte pricing so you can choose what you want more?
The photographer doesn''t do an a la carte pricing. They also have to travel about 7 hours to reach us so I don''t want to ask them to work by the hour. It would have been a good idea though if we chose one nearer to home. Thanks for the suggestion
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 11:11:09 AM
Author:Maisie

I really want a 5 stone diamond shared prong wedding band when we renew our vows. But that leaves less money for a photographer. The one I want to use shot my sister''s wedding and the photos are amazing. I have found a less expensive photographer but I prefer this company. The price different is around £1300 - $2600

I don''t want to get the ring later because I want to wear the ring he gives me on the day for the rest of my life. It matters to me that I do this.

I''m just wondering if I should choose a different ring..... Or maybe cut corners somewhere else.....

What would you do?
1.gif
I would go for the ring. I wear my ring 24/7, whereas except for the wedding photos we have framed, I looked at my wedding photos, maybe once a year? A ring you look at everday, all day. Plus you sound like me, you NEED that sentimental attachment to your ring.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 2:13:38 PM
Author: february2003bride

Date: 6/6/2008 11:11:09 AM
Author:Maisie

What would you do?
1.gif
I would go for the ring. I wear my ring 24/7, whereas except for the wedding photos we have framed, I looked at my wedding photos, maybe once a year? A ring you look at everday, all day. Plus you sound like me, you NEED that sentimental attachment to your ring.
I know I have changed my diamond a few times and the setting has changed too.... but the wedding band that my hubby gives me on our renewal has massive meaning to me. I do need that attachment. I know it doesn''t have to be an expensive diamond band for that meaning to be special, but I don''t want to get a different band later on. There is only so much jewellery I can manage to get away with buying
9.gif

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
maisie, i would try to cut corners in other areas if you can. it seems that the ring and the photos are your top 2 important aspects.

since you are going to be closer to home, are there things in your budget you can tweak? that in the end won't really matter but are more nice to have?

also, talk to your photog and tell them your story. they might be able to negotiate even a little bit. let them know how important the photos are to you, how you didn't get good photos for your wedding, and how you really want them to do the photos because you know they will be fantastic and you don't want to take a chance with this but that you have a budget and it is X. let them know that you are trying to cut down in other areas but don't want to have to do so in this area. never know what they maybe able to do for you.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A wonderful photographer is important. . . but you will wear your ring everyday for the rest of your life, you said. It will have a sentimental meaning that no upgrade in the future can have. Get the ring; find some other way of getting the best photographer you can afford.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 3:24:55 PM
Author: ringster
maisie, i would try to cut corners in other areas if you can. it seems that the ring and the photos are your top 2 important aspects.

since you are going to be closer to home, are there things in your budget you can tweak? that in the end won''t really matter but are more nice to have?

also, talk to your photog and tell them your story. they might be able to negotiate even a little bit. let them know how important the photos are to you, how you didn''t get good photos for your wedding, and how you really want them to do the photos because you know they will be fantastic and you don''t want to take a chance with this but that you have a budget and it is X. let them know that you are trying to cut down in other areas but don''t want to have to do so in this area. never know what they maybe able to do for you.
The photographers are really nice approachable people. We spent a lot of time with them at my sister''s wedding. I think I will do as you suggest and speak to them. The worst thing that could happen is that they will say no.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 4:16:42 PM
Author: HollyS
A wonderful photographer is important. . . but you will wear your ring everyday for the rest of your life, you said. It will have a sentimental meaning that no upgrade in the future can have. Get the ring; find some other way of getting the best photographer you can afford.
I will work out the finances again and maybe cut back on other things like favors and the room we intended on booking for ourselves on the night of the ceremony. We don''t need the penthouse! A normal hotel room would be fine!
9.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 4:20:24 PM
Author: Maisie

I will work out the finances again and maybe cut back on other things like favors and the room we intended on booking for ourselves on the night of the ceremony. We don''t need the penthouse! A normal hotel room would be fine!
9.gif
Those are easy places to cut on.. Have you checked for deals on the hotel room or considered not having favors at all?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 5:00:13 PM
Author: Stephanie

Date: 6/6/2008 4:20:24 PM
Author: Maisie

9.gif
Those are easy places to cut on.. Have you checked for deals on the hotel room or considered not having favors at all?
I can make the favors myself. That won''t cost much at all. And I will check for deals on the hotel, they might give me a discount because we are having our ceremony and reception at the hotel.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Maisie where are you getting married?

I know some great photographers in the London area who might be pretty reasonable if that''s where you''re heading.

Personally I''d go with the ring.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have decided to stay close to home Pandora so its going to be at Seaham Hall near Durham.
1.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Ring all the way Maisie. Everyday you will look at your ring and if it is the one your dreamt of you will get a thrill! But photos IMO are photos and whislt you may have a few pictures around the room you probably won't look at the album very much.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ring. I was going to say photos, but considering you don''t want to replace the ring then I say ring. I traded ring for photos most likely at this point, but I plan on replacing my e-ring''s mounting and my wedding band later on, so it''s different I think.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
If I had to pick, the ring would win out over the photos, BUT if you can cut something else out, I would, so you can have both types of keepsakes with you for the rest of your lives.
1.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely pick the ring. I think it will hold more sentimental value than the pictures in the long run. So I'd go with a cheaper photographer. He's sure to get at least one or two really great pics, and that's what matters. Just remembrances, not perfection.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might be in the minority but I think wedding photos meant more to me than my ring. You can upgrade your wedding ring but NEVER retake your photos (and capture those moments). I look at my framed wedding photos everyday and LOVE them.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your suggestions everyone.

I think we need to find money for both. That way I will have the precious memories and there will be sentimental feelings attached to the ring too.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results