shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you go with better color or clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I think I''ve finally narrowed my search down to 2 stones:

Stone #1:
GIA Cert - F SI1 (eye clean)
1.64 Carats
Depth: 61.6
Crown angle: 35.0
Crown Height: 15.5
Pavil angle: 40.8
Pavil depth: 42.9
Culet: .3
Table: 54.8
Polish & Symetry: Excellent
Girdle: Med
Flourescence: none

Stone #2:
GIA Cert - G VS1
1.6 carats
Depth: 61.2
Crown angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 15.5
Pavil angle: 40.7
Pavil depth: 42.6
Culet: .5
Table: 55
Polish & Symetry: Excellent
Girdle: Med
Flourescence: none

My question is should I go for the whiter color of the first stone (F SI1), or the better clarity of the second stone (G VS1). I haven''t seen either stone as I am purchasing online, but they tell me the SI1 is very clean. Can anyone tell me if one stone will visually out-perform the other, or am I just splitting hairs here? Which would you choose?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
When I was looking I felt more comfortable giving a little in color to make sure the clarity was top notch.

SI inclusions under a scope look HUGE. (I know, scopes can be much greater than standard-grading 10x power.) Going to VS gave me piece of mind that the inclusions would not likely be eye-visible even if my wife stared at it for hours on end.

Of course many many SI1s are eye-clean and are great buys. Lots of people don't think it makes sense to pay more for things you can't see. I'm just not one of them.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have a new desktop version of the HCA & this is what your stones scored individually in each category and the total overal numerically. There are a few people that will run a diamoncalc analysis which provides a pre-liminary analysis which might show how your stone will rate. Richard Sherwood seems to offer this time to time when he feels like playing around. He might be able to help with a sample image for both stones.

#1 The F Si-1:
Light Return-0.00-Excellent
Fire-0.34-Excellent
Scintillation-0.38-Excellent
Spread-0.31-Excellent
1.3-Excellent (TIC)

#2 The G VS1:
Light Return-0.00-Excellent
Fire-0.19-Excellent
Scintillation-0.22-Excellent
Spread-0.27-Excellent
.7-Excellent (TIC)

Totally by the numbers G is showing a better score. The hit stone #1 takes on the HCA is because of the steep crown angle being 35 degrees.

Hope this helps a little. Personally I would go with the G because of the higher clarity and the fact that the 1 color grade will not be as noticable as you might imagine. Of course reading through the forum you will also find that the better a stone is cut the better it faces up. With respect to si-1's it also helps mask the inclusions because all of the light the stone is throwing in your face.

Good Luck-
Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You didn't mention the pricing? What is the difference between the two stones? Are they very similar? If so, it's a hard decision. If the vendor says its eye-clean, you may want to trust them if they are reputable. Some people can tell the difference between an F and G...personally I can't. My stone is a G VS1 and I love it. The G faces up super white, and the VS1 means that no matter how long I stare at the stone...I will never see an inclusion. Fun. I can hardly find it under a loupe either.

Have someone run a DiamCalc for you because you may see differences between the two stones once modeled. That may make your decision easier.

Also depends on the pricing. If one is cheaper, I'd lean towards that depending on what the DiamCalc says. From the HCA scores, yes, you are splitting hairs. Both are in the excellent range. 0.7 does guarantee the stone will look better to your eye 1.3. It is a *preference*, some people may prefer a score as close as possible to 0...while others may appreciate a score between 1-1.5. This is noted on the HCA itself.

Good luck! Both stones sound great
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Clementine~

Both should be gorgeous diamonds 4 sure! If you want to be certain about the inclusions in the F SI diamond, call the vendor. If they actually have it on hand, someone should get it out and discuss the inclusions with you on the phone. That would give you a better idea of what you may or may not see.

By checking the price stats, you should be looking at nearly the same price for the 2 diamonds. Unless you were to have the 2 diamonds side by side, and have a very good eye, you probably won't see the color difference. G color diamonds do face up very bright and white. No dingy, Maul store look in a well cut G! The higher clarity rating of the G relieves all worries of having an eye clean diamond as well.

The absolute best way to decide would be to get both diamonds and physically look at them. If the F is truly eye clean, your own personal preferences for flash of light and color, and overall look would be the final deciding factor. The comparison route can create a whole new set of problems. Diamonds tend to have unique "personalities" much like children and pets. Each diamond will probably have characteristics you will absolutely adore. Then you get into, "Which one do I pick??!!"

Good Luck! This one is a toughy!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If the prices are +/- the same, I'd take #2...

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!

You look and look to find a great stone, and wouldn't you know it, I find 2 at the same time!

Mara- you mentioned a DiamCalc - where can I get one done?
And how much would something like that cost?

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!

You look and look to find a great stone, and wouldn't you know it, I find 2 at the same time!

Mara- you mentioned a DiamCalc - where can I get one done?
And how much would something like that cost?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
See if Rich, Rhino or Leonid can post a DiamCalc for you for both stones. That should help show you potential virtual sims of the stones, and for example if one has a little bit more light leakage than the other, that MAY help with the final decision.

DiamCalc is a software program, I think its $300. But the members listed above, as well as some others, have the program and if you ask very nicely will usually find some time to post the sims for you.

Good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results