shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you give up all your diamonds and other gems

Would you give up all your bling for any of the following?

• 1. World peace

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2. For equality for all

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 3. For the well being of animals all over

• 4. Ensuring the good health of my loved ones

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • 5. To bring someone back who is deceased

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • 6. Fill in the blank

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 7. Nope. Not for anything or anyone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

#5: To have my Dad back for longer--he died at 50 years of age.
#6: And to have happiness and contentment for my DS.
#2 for sure.

cheers--Sharon

I'm so sorry Sharon that you lost your dad at such a young age. :(
Sending you gentle hugs and all the best wishes for your DS and his well being. As well as yours. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought about this question for a while. I considered giving up my bling to bring back a loved one, but... though I’ve lost someone incredibly close to me who I still miss every single day a decade later, I know they are in some way in a better place now. So if I was to give up my bling to bring them back, I’d want to bring them back without the issues that caused them to pass away in the first place, or I’m condemning them to a life of suffering.

I’m exceptionally sentimental, and while I strongly believe (and champion) “equality of opportunity” for all, I’m going to be a horrible person and say that there are some pieces with a lot of sentimental value that I’m not willing to give up even for world equality or ending world hunger or ensuring education for all. Though, now that I think of it, I think I would if it truly meant the end of those issues. But it would be real wrench.

I think the thing I’d be most likely to do it for would be to ascertain good health for all my loved ones. If I could guarantee all my loved ones would live long lives in the pink of health (physical and mental) to slip away peacefully in their sleep one day at 95+ I think I would be willing to give up even the sentimental pieces even if I’d mourn losing them.

Yes I agree with all your reasoning. And when I think about it logically that is the best choice for us as well. Despite how much I miss loved ones who are now gone I would wish good health and happiness for my loved ones who are here now. I asked my DH this question and he said no doubt he would want me to be well for a good long time. And I, him, so there you go. When you sit down and really think about it this is the choice (for me and you too based on your post above) that makes the most sense.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, sorry, threadjack ahead, my apologies. Would you mind elaborating a bit @pearlsngems ?

I have had this discussion with my children often when we see a homeless person. Here in France we have many many policies in place: no evictions possible whatsoever between November and March, (no evictions possible at all in 2020 due to Covid) , public shelters, public housing, housing programs for minors, housing programs for seniors, public welfare, free healthcare for people on welfare, financial aid for different educational programs. If one fills out paperwork correctly, anyone can get minimum aid & a home. Yet there are still homeless people in the streets. I am afraid mental illness or trauma is a big factor. Policies don't seem to help on that front unfortunately.

I'm not talking about party politics, just curious what you mean, what you think it would taken to end homelessness.
I don not mean to be political, @Ella , please remove and accept my apologies if this is against ps policies.

No apologies necessary. I would love to hear @pearlsngems response as well. Though because it's a dreaming thread there might not be an answer :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘d give up all my worldly possessions, forever, and my own life too. Just to be with her again for one moment. Alas.

(((Hugs))). I am so sorry for your loss.

I already did that once when DH was laid off half a dozen years ago.

I'm sorry TP. That sucks. But whatever you gotta do to make it through. Bling is always replaceable when times are better. Hugs.

Another vote for this one. I would give up everything I owned to hear my daddy laughing at his own shit jokes one more time.....

I wish this for you too Alex. (((HUGS))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When Ninja died I had the thought that I would give all my jewelry if only he could be restored to life. So yes, I'd absolutely give up the bling, it's just stuff. But as the song goes, "All your money won't another minute buy".

Yes, I know that quote well. And the quote better a minute too soon than a day too late. I am always a day too late with our furry babies sadly. If only we had that crystal ball. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d give it up for any of the above. Nice jewelry is very fun and delightful but it is not what’s important in life.

Yes for most, seems like a small price to pay. Jewelry has no "value" to me other than it can be sentimental (ER, wedding ring, gifts from my mom) and that it is pretty.

Ditto. Huge ditto. But it is a nice distraction especially now. It helps take the edge off all we are experiencing though it cannot make the pandemic go away faster sadly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would give up all my possessions to have my loved ones back providing they were returned to full health

Yes I like this addition. And I would like to add that they get a nice long happy life to boot.

I vote 5, I'd bring my mom back, it's hard living nearly a whole life without a mother.

I am so sorry Stephanie. :( I cannot even imagine. Your children are so lucky to have you as their mother and I wish you had the same experience. (((HUGS))).

I’m with you. I lost my mother when I was 5. I would give anything to know her.

I am so sorry AprilBaby. :(
(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd happily give all my bling for 1-4.

5 is a concept that's too vague for me. My loved ones who died were severely ill very old before they passed. Bringing them back to comfort me isn't fair. And for how long? Too many unknown points.

I added more to #5. Thanks to @MadeInLondon they would be brought back to full health and for a good long time so you could both enjoy quantity and quality of time together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would do anything to ensure my loved ones are healthy.

I'd like to say 3 as well but I eat meat and dairy so it would be hypocritical.

Yes this makes so much sense. Take care of the ones we love who are with us now. To keep them with us for a long time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put fill in the blank. I wouldn't need such grand reasons at all. If it helped someone in my family, or I wanted to treat my family to something, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't have a great collection at all, but I'd have the memories.

You're an amazing person lyra. I don't have to meet you IRL to know that. Things will get better but I think we are in for a long haul. Stay well and be safe and know better and sweeter days will come. Hugs.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would, for any of those items listed, and many others too!

My bling all together is only worth X dollars, and I would consider that an absolute STEAL to buy any one of those items listed.

Anne

PS - That said, I'm glad this is just a hypothetical exercise, so I can keep all my pretties. lol

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
any of those except bringing someone back from the dead...i'd be afraid to go there also....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have happily handed my bling over in exchange for another few years with my Gretta healthy and happy. I would have happily handed it over even just for the possibility of another few years with her healthy and happy. That wasn’t one of my options :(sad

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Well I sold a lot of my silver wedding & other gifts when we desperately needed money for bills.
So this is not far fetched unfortunately.
If I could keep my husband & children well & happy then I would sell too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad died of cancer at 53, i had just started work and my sister was still in highschool and mum was a stay at home mum
i remenber my dad telling me one day that he felt he had had a very good life
as i steadily and scarily approach the age that he got sick and compair my life to his, he certainly packed alot of living in and achieved much
my inheritance from my parents paid for my jewlery
And mum stipulated in here will no inherited jewlery could be sold
But of course i would give it all back if i could go back to the eaely 90s and have our perfect life back
But life's not like that
I need something pretty to look out and as Bruce Springsteen is out of my price range ill enjoy what i have

i did once sell a really lovelly early 2000's 18 carot gold diamond pave ring to buy a Bruce Springsteen ticker - i panicked and didn't understand ticket drops
i very much regrete selling that ring because it was beautiful and well made and i had saved up for it
Not that Bruce wasn't worth it but i hot horribly ripped off

but i hope it now adorns someone's hand who was given it in true love

Now where's my crown ?
Lorraine_DownesERTYE.jpg

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Without a doubt, a gazillion times YES, especially for #5.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love my bling I know I could /would give it all up for a good reason or cause if necessary. It’s lovely stuff but still just “stuff”. In fact I’m glad I have a lot of it instead of choosing to have more holidays, travel or experiences because if someone or something requires a $$$$ contribution I can provide it!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I lost my son when he was just a baby, and I'd do anything to have him back if I knew that it'd work.

I often think about what life would be like if he were here and it's hard.
I forget material things even exist when I think of him.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost my son when he was just a baby, and I'd do anything to have him back if I knew that it'd work.

I'm so sorry.
No words. I'm so, so sorry.
::HUGS:: :(sad

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my family and close beloved friends? Absolutely :bigsmile:

I would do anything to ensure my loved ones are healthy & safe.

Jewellery is after all, just stuff. :naughty:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry.
No words. I'm so, so sorry.
::HUGS:: :(sad

Thank you for your kind words.♥️
It means a lot.

I didn't want to be a downer but I'm finding that talking about him and reminding myself that he was here is helping. It hasn't felt real, his death or life for quite a while and I didn't talk about him to anyone for a long time. It was too upsetting, but I'm slowly starting to open up more and more & it's helping.

If anyone else who is reading this (whether you're a member or not) has also lost a child just know that you're not alone. I see you & I carry space for you in my heart.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Garnetgirl you brought tears to my eyes. We lost our grandson when he was 7. There are no words to describe the pain and grief. I wish I could Make it better especially my son and daughter in law.

Im so sorry for your loss ♥️
You are right, there are truly no words. It will forever be a break in ones heart but we try to nurture it with the laughter and love that we get from our daughter who just turned six. I don't wish the act of losing ones child on anyone, not even the most evil man on Earth.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Garnetgirl My heart goes out to you, I am so glad you have your daughter. We Are very happy that we now have 2 little granddaughters to cherish. They keep Mama and Papa very busy but there will always be that nagging grief in the background. I would trade my life much less all my jewelry to have big brother back for my two little grand daughters.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so sorry @TheGarnetGirl :cry:
There are no words. Keeping you in my heart.
(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad died of cancer at 53, i had just started work and my sister was still in highschool and mum was a stay at home mum
i remenber my dad telling me one day that he felt he had had a very good life
as i steadily and scarily approach the age that he got sick and compair my life to his, he certainly packed alot of living in and achieved much
my inheritance from my parents paid for my jewlery
And mum stipulated in here will no inherited jewlery could be sold
But of course i would give it all back if i could go back to the eaely 90s and have our perfect life back
But life's not like that
I need something pretty to look out and as Bruce Springsteen is out of my price range ill enjoy what i have

i did once sell a really lovelly early 2000's 18 carot gold diamond pave ring to buy a Bruce Springsteen ticker - i panicked and didn't understand ticket drops
i very much regrete selling that ring because it was beautiful and well made and i had saved up for it
Not that Bruce wasn't worth it but i hot horribly ripped off

but i hope it now adorns someone's hand who was given it in true love

Now where's my crown ?
Lorraine_DownesERTYE.jpg

Here you go. For you Daisy.❤️
829D1EFF-BFE1-4FEF-93FE-279FD61EEBFB.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results