shape
carat
color
clarity

would you feel comfortable with strangers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
coming into your home?

our koi club members would volunteer their home for club meetings. i know i wouldn''t feel comfortable with strangers inside my house,how about you guys?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
No

I have had people I know (and no longer associate with) steal stuff so I sure as heck would not allow people I didn''t know into my house.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
@$%@#%@ no
I don''t even like people I know coming into my apartment.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:08:14 AM
Author: strmrdr
@$%@#%@ no

LOL- I know how you feel!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Aren''t strangers friends you have yet to meet?
How else will your club members see your beautiful fish?

I open my home regularly for meetings of volunteers, but I have very little of value to steal, have never had anyone take something, and had never considered that as a possibility.

Perhaps it depends on the crowd? Aren''t koi lovers a pretty upstanding group?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are these truly strangers or people you have met before at other club meetings? If the latter - it doesn''t bother me. The former bothers me a bit.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I would not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@$%@#%@ no
Ditto!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I would never open my home to strangers. We belonged to a group that hosted house concerts, and one couple offered their home. I don''t think anyone ever ''took'' anything, but with that many people, how would you know? Until after the fact, and then what do you do?

I find it stressful enough to have friends and family here; doesn''t everyone feel their home must be P Perfect for company, even if your guests are family?

I guess opening a B&B would be out of the question for me!
2.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 8:40:08 AM
Author: Diamond*Dana
No I would not.
No, neither would I. Even friends tend to not treat our things with respect. Strangers? No way.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very messy. I have lots of clutter. My house is clean, but surfaces quickly get covered with clutter. It is was always hard to get ready for large family get togethers (which we took our turn for) when we lived in Connecticut and were physically close to everyone and had family and friends come to our house for those gatherings. Those were sometimes as big as the house could hold, though, and spilled over into bedrooms with children wandering around and sometimes included people (nice parents and children) with whom we were barely acquainted. Once for Christmas or Easter we had a Mexican couple and their child or children join us since they were away from their family. In the past I also had small groups of acquaintances (a book club) come to my home or I hosted a baby shower for women who were known to me through their association to the bride-to-be or mother-to-be. I have never thrown my home open to the general public, though! And I know that some people do. I remember seeing that a local symphony was having a chamber music concert at the home of a local family a couple of years ago. I never thought of anything being stolen. My house isn't presentable and there is no parking. I have no desire to lend it to a symphony, either! But if I belonged to a book club again.... No. I couldn't clean it up. Too much energy needed.

AGBF
34.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I guess I''m not a very trusting soul. I won''t even answer the door unless I''m expecting someone.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
If I signed up for a club that met in different houses each time, then of course I''d offer my home as an option! Otherwise, why would I have signed up for that club to begin with???? It''s not fair to only let some people carry the weight of that responsibility...it''s a lot of work to host something in your home, and that should be spread out equally.

I think that the point of clubs is to get to know people, warm up and open up. Sure, I probably wouldn''t leave my diamond earrings sitting on the counter...but I''m not going to be one of those people that hides from the world on the off chance that something could maybe happen. My home is set up just fine to host...we have a powder room so they have no need to venture into the bedrooms, everything is open concept, so we can flow freely and I can keep an eye on everything.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:10:24 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
If I signed up for a club that met in different houses each time, then of course I''d offer my home as an option! Otherwise, why would I have signed up for that club to begin with????
I agree with this. My mom joined a club sometime last year (I think November) and they have their meetings in different houses. When she went to her first meeting, she was a "stranger" in that person''s house. By the time it was hosted in her house, she knew everyone but they also had new members that were "strangers" to her. I don''t think she''s ever had someone steal anything, at least not that I know of. But then again the layout of her house is pretty open so she can see if someone is headed towards the bedrooms when they have no business being there.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
If I signed up for a club that met in different houses each time, then of course I'd offer my home as an option! Otherwise, why would I have signed up for that club to begin with???? It's not fair to only let some people carry the weight of that responsibility...it's a lot of work to host something in your home, and that should be spread out equally.

I think that the point of clubs is to get to know people, warm up and open up. Sure, I probably wouldn't leave my diamond earrings sitting on the counter...but I'm not going to be one of those people that hides from the world on the off chance that something could maybe happen. My home is set up just fine to host...we have a powder room so they have no need to venture into the bedrooms, everything is open concept, so we can flow freely and I can keep an eye on everything.
That's how I feel, too. It's not an estate sale where strangers rummage through your belongings. You're welcoming like-minded people into your home for a gathering.

Then again, I live in Mayberry....

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the situation. For a club meeting or something similar and with people I''m already acquainted with then I''d be okay with it. Complete strangers, no way.

When DH and I were renting "the little green house" it got put up for sale and we had several people come through the house for showings. You could tell they were just being nosy and one guy was a complete weirdo. Our son was around 6 weeks old at the time and after about 3 showings I called the realtor and told him no more until we moved out. He argued with me about it and I didn''t let up. I felt that our safety and privacy were being violated and that if anybody else showed up I''d call the police for trespassing (talk about post-partum hormones!) He was smart and didn''t schedule any more showings until after we were out.

We''re also not big fans of garage sales or yard sales. Do you really want the whole neighborhood getting a good look at the stuff you have?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 8:52:13 AM
Author: HollyS
I would never open my home to strangers. We belonged to a group that hosted house concerts, and one couple offered their home. I don''t think anyone ever ''took'' anything, but with that many people, how would you know? Until after the fact, and then what do you do?

I find it stressful enough to have friends and family here; doesn''t everyone feel their home must be P Perfect for company, even if your guests are family?

I guess opening a B&B would be out of the question for me!
2.gif
that''s the other reason why i would never offer mine,too messy.
14.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 7:24:03 AM
Author: swimmer

I open my home regularly for meetings of volunteers, but I have very little of value to steal, have never had anyone take something, and had never considered that as a possibility.

yes,member''s age are b/t 50-60,but still i wouldn''t volunteer my house.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I would not feel comfortable with strangers in my home, especially in a group.

I've invited women who I've only recently met and haven't had any problems, but ALWAYS it's just one person at a time, not a group of people. I feel the more people there are, the more there is a chance of someone wondering off (upstairs) into my room and that makes me feel super uncomfortable.

FWIW, the only item I've for sure known to be stolen was by a family member who was helping me move. Believe it or not, the person stole a BACK SCRATCHER! I heard the guy (a teenager) comment on how great it was and guess what, I later went to look for it and it was gone! Isn't that pathetic? A $5 back scratcher.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:49:38 AM
Author: neatfreak
Are these truly strangers or people you have met before at other club meetings? If the latter - it doesn''t bother me. The former bothers me a bit.

I''m the same. If I knew them through club meetings then I don''t think that I''d mind a huge amount. I''d have the guard cat follow them around!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:24:03 AM
Author: swimmer

I dunno, swimmer--DF is one after all...
11.gif
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with italiahaircolor!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends. Like throwing a babyshower or bridal shower; I did that for a friend and didn''t know most of the people but since she was a friend it wasn''t a big deal. If I wasn''t in my house I could see how that isn''t okay with me. Oh our friends came to stay with us and brought their mother that i had never met but they are good friends so that was okay with me too. I agree with Italia.
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@$%@#%@ no

what he said!!!!!

mz

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I signed up for a club that met in different houses each time, then of course I''d offer my home as an option! Otherwise, why would I have signed up for that club to begin with???? It''s not fair to only let some people carry the weight of that responsibility...it''s a lot of work to host something in your home, and that should be spread out equally.

I think that the point of clubs is to get to know people, warm up and open up. Sure, I probably wouldn''t leave my diamond earrings sitting on the counter...but I''m not going to be one of those people that hides from the world on the off chance that something could maybe happen. My home is set up just fine to host...we have a powder room so they have no need to venture into the bedrooms, everything is open concept, so we can flow freely and I can keep an eye on everything.
lets all go to IHC''s place
31.gif
when can we come over?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:56:55 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

lets all go to IHC''s place
31.gif
when can we come over?
Oh DF, I''m afraid you wouldn''t have much fun at my house
7.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn''t bother me. They are club people, even if you haven''t met all of them before, there is common ground and a point to people coming over. They might someday be very good friends.

Opening your house is also a bit misleading. I''m all for closing doors to certain areas of the house. Most groups like this stay in the kitchen, living area, and maybe a short trip down a hallway into a toilet. No one is in your bedroom, going through your things. Close all other doors and if someone leaves the main room and is gone for more than a couple of minutes, you go check on them, see if they are okay.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 9:09:31 AM
Author: AGBF

I am very messy. I have lots of clutter. My house is clean, but surfaces quickly get covered with clutter. It is was always hard to get ready for large family get togethers (which we took our turn for) when we lived in Connecticut and were physically close to everyone and had family and friends come to our house for those gatherings. Those were sometimes as big as the house could hold, though, and spilled over into bedrooms with children wandering around and sometimes included people (nice parents and children) with whom we were barely acquainted. Once for Christmas or Easter we had a Mexican couple and their child or children join us since they were away from their family. In the past I also had small groups of acquaintances (a book club) come to my home or I hosted a baby shower for women who were known to me through their association to the bride-to-be or mother-to-be. I have never thrown my home open to the general public, though! And I know that some people do. I remember seeing that a local symphony was having a chamber music concert at the home of a local family a couple of years ago. I never thought of anything being stolen. My house isn''t presentable and there is no parking. I have no desire to lend it to a symphony, either! But if I belonged to a book club again.... No. I couldn''t clean it up. Too much energy needed.

AGBF
34.gif

I feel like I''m looking in a mirror.
28.gif
You are me. I am you.

In my case, it''s not clutter so much as . . . it''s not actually dirty . . . it''s just that it isn''t picture perfect. And frankly, that will reveal far more about me than I''m comfortable sharing with anyone but the hubs and my BFF. I insist on remaining an enigma to everyone else.
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Not really. You really can''t trust anybody, and I don''t trust people that I don''t know personally. We have nice tv''s and electronics, and I am always paranoid that someone will notice and try to come back to relieve us of them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results