shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you ever set an emerald with yellow diamonds?

Emerald with yellow diamonds, yay or nay?

• Never! I'd always pair an emerald with white diamond to make it pop.

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Maybe, with a more intense/vivid yellow color for diamonds.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I think the combination works, even with fancy yellow.

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

voce

Ideal_Rock
1580426093719.png 1580426182064.png 1580426253842.png

So, I would say I'm "artistic/creative" with a "strong point of view." I often decide on color combinations without any input from others. But, I have to admit, there are times when I make mistakes. In this case, the color of the fancy yellow diamonds did not turn out as vivid as what I had imagined when I decided to set the emerald with a yellow diamond halo, which seemed fantastic in my mind and is not something I've seen from others. I think I still like this ring a lot because it exudes an understated elegance and warmth, and the proportions are good.

Should I consider a more vivid emerald and yellow diamond pairing in the future, with a richer gold and fancy vivid yellow diamonds? Or should I not try to go for another green-yellow combination? What do you all think of the yellow diamond halo around emerald idea?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the colour of your ring:kiss2:
but it would remind me of the Australian cricket team and that would be no good being a New Zealander so its just a colour combo i would never use myself
(But its certainly been very succesful for the Aussies)

And in saying that i never thought i would own rose gold jewlery and i do! So im really talking a load of rubbish ;)2

In all seriousness i think the colours go together very well
I love the diamond rather than square shape too !

Oh nooo - the Aussie netball team are called the diamonds ! :twisted:

Anyway beautiful ring :appl:
I voted the 3rd option

voce

Ideal_Rock
but it would remind me of the Australian cricket team and that would be no good being a New Zealander so its just a colour combo i would never use myself

And in saying that i never thought i would own rose gold jewlery and i do! So im really talking a load of rubbish ;)2

I voted the 3rd option

Thanks for your feedback, Daisys. The diamond shape is only possible because of how square and small this emerald is (4.94mm x 4.98mm if I remember correctly).

First you talked about an Australian cricket team, and then you said Aussie netball team. I don't know a thing about cricket. Are these terms interchangeable?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Throwing ideas into the pot, how about setting it against something red? :bigsmile:

I love the combination of red and green, in nature, in clothes, in cars (yup, custom paint job, twice) as well as jewellery.

I only have one ring in this combination though, and I seldom wear it as it kind of clashes with the colourful clothes that I wear in the warmer months.

The centre stone is a red Garnet, and the stones in the halo are Tsarvorites, not the best picture as the colours are more vivid IRL, sorry!

imag0407.jpg

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
Throwing ideas into the pot, how about setting it against something red? :bigsmile:

I love the combination of red and green, in nature, in clothes, in cars (yup, custom paint job, twice) as well as jewellery.

I only have one ring in this combination though, and I seldom wear it as it kind of clashes with the colourful clothes that I wear in the warmer months.

The centre stone is a red Garnet, and the stones in the halo are Tsarvorites, not the best picture as the colours are more vivid IRL, sorry!

imag0407.jpg

DK :))

I kind of have something like that? 733074

Your ring looks fabulous, but I've shied away from only red and green because I don't know how I'd feel if I get the comment IRL "hey, that's a Christmas ring!"

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, I would say I'm "artistic/creative" with a "strong point of view." I often decide on color combinations without any input from others. But, I have to admit, there are times when I make mistakes. In this case, the color of the fancy yellow diamonds did not turn out as vivid as what I had imagined when I decided to set the emerald with a yellow diamond halo, which seemed fantastic in my mind and is not something I've seen from others. I think I still like this ring a lot because it exudes an understated elegance and warmth, and the proportions are good.

Should I consider a more vivid emerald and yellow diamond pairing in the future, with a richer gold and fancy vivid yellow diamonds? Or should I not try to go for another green-yellow combination? What do you all think of the yellow diamond halo around emerald idea?

That’s a very beautiful ring. Is that your Afghani emerald? I forget, but you mentioned you had one, or was it Ethiopian? Either case, it’s lovely!

You can’t go wrong with vivid canary yellow diamonds and richly colored emeralds. That’s like asking if I should have a warm double fudge chocolate chip brownie with ice cream and caramel sauce for my desert with my filet mignon, lol. Both are yummy!

voce

Ideal_Rock
That’s a very beautiful ring. Is that your Afghani emerald? I forget, but you mentioned you had one, or was it Ethiopian? Either case, it’s lovely!

You can’t go wrong with vivid canary yellow diamonds and richly colored emeralds. That’s like asking if I should have a warm double fudge chocolate chip brownie with ice cream and caramel sauce for my desert with my filet mignon, lol. Both are yummy!

Thank you, @T L =)2, it means a lot to me coming from you! No, this is not my Afghani emerald. That one was small, 3mm and untreated. This is a Muzo emerald I got from CRD during their 10 year anniversary sale, set by CRD, too. I bought the yellow diamonds in the same sale. I'm so far loving the ring more under incandescent lighting, it looks a richer yellow at night than under California sunshine, and the warm glitter and sparkle of yellow diamonds is something other yellow gems can't manage.

IMG_20200130_185851.jpg

Edit: I came really close to getting an Ethiopian emerald cab last November, but in the face of limited funds decided to spend my dollars on custom ring projects, including the CAD for this ring here and the Jedi spinel lotus ring.

Also, I might have more small emeralds in my near future, if Inken can find me the color I want (at the Tucson show) for another project I've had planned since last year.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your feedback, Daisys. The diamond shape is only possible because of how square and small this emerald is (4.94mm x 4.98mm if I remember correctly).

First you talked about an Australian cricket team, and then you said Aussie netball team. I don't know a thing about cricket. Are these terms interchangeable?

Cricket is the game of God himself ;)2
Netball is tradionally a female sport often played in countries with a British background. It kind of looks like basketball but you don't bounce the ball. Most NZ girls would have played netball at some stage in their life, i don't know about in Auatralia, but here its very popular on tv by both women and men fans, which saddly is still unusual for woman's sport
Outside of sport Australia are our best buddies but its a terrible thing to loose to them in sport
their netball team is really good, compairing your beautiful ring to an Australian sports team is a compliment really
Natalie+Medhurst+2015+Netball+World+Cup+Australia+gTfO9DR5Kf8l.jpg S3DOY3XDQZBUNPB2LDDQD72Q5E.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green and yellow work the yellow needs to be more saturated or simply stronger and darker. Even darker but bright vivid yellow sapphires might be worth considering or intense fancy yellow diamonds but they will cost a lot more....

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it turned out beautifully. It looks great on you and the color combo is super pretty.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow diamonds and emeralds?
Of course.
Your ring is very pretty.
Question- you have other yellow diamonds from Yvonne, yes?
How do these look in comparison, and were they described the same in her listings?
Just curious.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@voce Yes absolutely, love this colour combination. Make your pieces interesting not run of the mill.
I absolutely love unusual colour combinations and tend to go for stronger colour saturated stones too! :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @T L =)2, it means a lot to me coming from you! No, this is not my Afghani emerald. That one was small, 3mm and untreated. This is a Muzo emerald I got from CRD during their 10 year anniversary sale, set by CRD, too. I bought the yellow diamonds in the same sale. I'm so far loving the ring more under incandescent lighting, it looks a richer yellow at night than under California sunshine, and the warm glitter and sparkle of yellow diamonds is something other yellow gems can't manage.

IMG_20200130_185851.jpg

Edit: I came really close to getting an Ethiopian emerald cab last November, but in the face of limited funds decided to spend my dollars on custom ring projects, including the CAD for this ring here and the Jedi spinel lotus ring.

Also, I might have more small emeralds in my near future, if Inken can find me the color I want (at the Tucson show) for another project I've had planned since last year.

I think this ring is beautiful❤️. But you’re the only one who matters. FWIW I love it.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Green and yellow work the yellow needs to be more saturated or simply stronger and darker. Even darker but bright vivid yellow sapphires might be worth considering or intense fancy yellow diamonds but they will cost a lot more....
With yellow sapphires, I'm afraid of treatments in melee gems like beryllium. I think I will have to try this again with a bigger emerald and more vivid yellow diamonds, and 18kt gold one day. This small emerald and these diamonds were what I could afford at the time. I still love the emerald, and this setting does bring out a vibrant color for this emerald.

I think it turned out beautifully. It looks great on you and the color combo is super pretty.
Thanks for the compliment, elle_71125. Haven't seen you around here lately. Would love to hear if you've got CS bling plans! ;)2

Yellow diamonds and emeralds?
Of course.
Your ring is very pretty.
Question- you have other yellow diamonds from Yvonne, yes?
How do these look in comparison, and were they described the same in her listings?
Just curious.
I only bought as many yellow diamonds as I needed for my design. I don't have extras. At the time I was not aware of the different grades of yellow diamonds, and what makes it more confusing is that in the listing title it said fancy yellow, but the description said natural vivid. I did not take a picture of the melee gems by themselves before I sent them in for setting. I think she had the diamonds listed on Etsy but actually had to pick them up from her yellow diamond guy, so it's possible they gave her the wrong colors? When I saw the yellow diamonds in the gem box I thought they weren't as vivid as the listing pictures but they were kind of close, and I trusted I was getting what I paid for. Plus, the sparkle was excellent. You can judge for yourself from pictures.
1580506239688.png
1580506265303.png
If I do decide to set emeralds with yellow diamonds again, I'll definitely check and make sure I get the most vivid color grade, which I didn't this time.

@voce Yes absolutely, love this colour combination. Make your pieces interesting not run of the mill.
I absolutely love unusual colour combinations and tend to go for stronger colour saturated stones too! :mrgreen2:
Thank you Niffler75! :mrgreen2:

I feel the problem is not the color combination of green with yellow, it is more on the yellow diamonds don't pop up from the YG metal, it blends with the YG instead. IMHO.
I think it's a valid point. I may consider 18kt RG if I try this combination again.

I think this ring is beautiful❤. But you’re the only one who matters. FWIW I love it.
Thank you missy. I think this ring is growing on me. The diamonds sparkle like mad in low light and catch the eye, and the little emerald just glows. This is the first emerald that I've set, and something about it is mesmerizing. Right now this emerald has surpassed blue sapphire in the "makes my heart leap" category.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliment, elle_71125. Haven't seen you around here lately. Would love to hear if you've got CS bling plans! ;)2

Winter doldrums, I’m afraid. I haven’t been able to muster up my usual passion for sparkly things. I keep forcing myself to check out ps though because I always have fun when I’m in here.

I have some fun money put aside so hopefully I’ll be working on a new project soon. Plus, I was eyeing that green paraiba tourmaline, from Yvonne’s shop, but it’s gone now. Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think your ring is pretty as is but agree the listing has a more saturated look. the way your halo blends with the yellow gold though makes a very pretty frame for the emerald.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that the color combo is gorgeous, though the yellow diamonds do blend into the YG :) It creates a very rich color in contrast to the emerald. 18K RG might very cool if you do this color combo again!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can buy non BE treated yellows, they treat nearly all orange sapphires (not all but a lot) especially in melee sizes, but you can still find melee sized yellows that have not been or are heat only...

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Yellow on emerald not my taste. Red or orange, yes, but everybody has their own limits.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it! Its really a great ring @voce Sometimes our brains will play tricks on us and so...there you go. But I will agree that you might need to consider vivid yellow sapphires instead as it will be a bit easier to swallow price wise. Outside of that, they will not sparkle like a diamond so may be a case of diminished returns.

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock

IMG_20200130_185851.jpg

I adore this! It's beautiful, unique, and makes me smile. White diamonds would have likely popped more. But the warm glow is breathtaking.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a beautiful ring! It would catch my eye in the display case for sure.

I also agree with the comment above that the small yellow diamonds aren't well isolated from the yellow gold head -- but I do like the YG with the emerald.

Not sure the (very pretty) emerald is worth the investment to remake the ring with bigger and/or more intensely-colored melee...?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a beautiful ring! It would catch my eye in the display case for sure.

I also agree with the comment above that the small yellow diamonds aren't well isolated from the yellow gold head -- but I do like the YG with the emerald.

Not sure the (very pretty) emerald is worth the investment to remake the ring with bigger and/or more intensely-colored melee...?

The yellow diamond melee cost as much as the emerald, so if I try to remake this, I'd definitely get a bigger emerald for it to be worth about as much as the setting. Will keep this in mind if I ever come across a must-have emerald.

I think your ring is very pretty as it is! Love the kite setting, and also the idea of yellow with emerald just to be a bit different and stand out! But for a future project I would personally prefer more intensely coloured yellow melee, or yellow sapphire as others have mentioned. For this ring I wouldn’t touch it, it’s really pretty as it is!

Spitballing here, would you consider a double halo? With some white diamonds, in between the emerald and the yellow diamond halo? Or perhaps making the halo with alternating yellow and white melee? I think that would help the yellow melee pop more in your current ring if it doesn’t cost too much to do! That would be the only change I would make to your current ring, if you really wanted to make a change that is.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

IMG_20200130_185851.jpg

OMG I LOVE this ring @voce . The yellow diamonds in yellow gold turned out amazeballs. It's everything I didn't know I wanted! :) I kind of hope you hate it so that you'll part with it. Teeheehee..
Enjoy it, it is so beautiful!!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I love the yellow/green combination; the bigger and more vivid the better!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring is very pretty as it is! Love the kite setting, and also the idea of yellow with emerald just to be a bit different and stand out! But for a future project I would personally prefer more intensely coloured yellow melee, or yellow sapphire as others have mentioned. For this ring I wouldn’t touch it, it’s really pretty as it is!

Spitballing here, would you consider a double halo? With some white diamonds, in between the emerald and the yellow diamond halo? Or perhaps making the halo with alternating yellow and white melee? I think that would help the yellow melee pop more in your current ring if it doesn’t cost too much to do! That would be the only change I would make to your current ring, if you really wanted to make a change that is.
I'd rather spend my money on setting stones and creating new rings, than remaking any existing ones.

OMG I LOVE this ring @voce . The yellow diamonds in yellow gold turned out amazeballs. It's everything I didn't know I wanted! :) I kind of hope you hate it so that you'll part with it. Teeheehee..
Enjoy it, it is so beautiful!!
Thank you, this ring is mesmerizing in low light because of the shimmering of the yellow diamonds.

I love the yellow/green combination; the bigger and more vivid the better!
Yes, I may very well try bigger and more vivid in the future!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock

I voted the 3rd option

Ha ha first thing I thought when I saw the title was Aussie sports teams hell yes (proud Aussie here)

I actually really like this ring I would usually only pair emeralds with diamonds and white metals but there is something regal about this

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love this look

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results