shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you ever disclose that you are pregnant in a cover letter for a job application?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not. If you are showing in the interview, they will figure it out, but it (legally) shouldn''t have any impact on their hiring decision.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Also, I forgot to mention - are you in the US? There are different laws probably in different countries about whether it impacts their decision to hire you.

Also, the company that I worked for when I got pregnant with my first had an excellect maternity leave policy for the US, but you had to be a full-time employee for at least one year before you became eligible for the benefits.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
In the US it is illegal to discriminate against a candidate or employee based on their status as pregnant. It violates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. I would be surprised if Canada did not have a similar statute. Think of pregnancy as something like being disabled, being aged 50+, being a racial minority or being female--legally these are protected classes. It should not even be brought up in the interview and it is illegal here for an employer to ask if you are pregnant. I would not put that information in a cover letter as it does not have any bearing on your ability to perform your job duties.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 12:35:51 PM
Author: steph72276
No! Not on the CV....like others have said, it would be too easy for them to pass you up for an interview if it''s written on there. And I know things are a LOT different with maternity leave in Canada, but I don''t think I could feel good about taking a job, working for a month, and then taking a whole year off. I would just look for something different while you are off on mat. leave, but that''s me.

I agree with Steph.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I interviewed for my current while 12 weeks preggo, and started working at 16 weeks. SO I worked for 6 months, then took 2 months off. I did not disclose the pregnancy until they offered me the position, then asked how their leave and all would work to make sure I wouldn''t be loosing out on anything if I switched. They were fine with it, and I actually applied for a different position after returning to work, and got it!

I wouldn''t necessarily hide it when you interview, but also not flaunt it. You can wait until there''s an offer to disclose.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock

Hi gang, didn''t get to read all the posts (nutty at work yesterday and today) but wanted to mention again, this is a government job. Government jobs are pretty different from others , esp in canada. We''re talking paid family days, paid volunteer days, sick days, mental health days, full benefits (including top up pay to nearly full salary for a year of mat leave). When a woman goes on mat leave no company is paying out of pocket. It''s the public purse. It''s not frowned upon, it''s expected and it''s part of our social policy. So i am not worried about ppl resenting me etc. I just didn''t know when to disclose this info.

SO yes, i probably would not apply to this job if it were a private company or small business. My family runs one and when ppl leave it is a challenge. But government is a whole diff ball game. This job requires a very specific skill set that i have (training and education wise) so i feel like the applicant # will be low and there is a possibility that few ppl will apply since i live in a small city. However, i don''t feel comfortable keeping the pregnancy a secret, so i have decided to not address it in my CV, but def. in the interview, if i get one. I\
Also, knowing the nature of government positions in the ministry i am applying, this job is probably not something they need to fill ASAP and might be held. That is why i feel like i can''t pass it up.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas--This job sounds like a great opportunity. I just wanted to wish you luck with the job, and the baby!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 10:57:04 AM
Author: Jas12

Hi gang, didn''t get to read all the posts (nutty at work yesterday and today) but wanted to mention again, this is a government job. Government jobs are pretty different from others , esp in canada. We''re talking paid family days, paid volunteer days, sick days, mental health days, full benefits (including top up pay to nearly full salary for a year of mat leave). When a woman goes on mat leave no company is paying out of pocket. It''s the public purse. It''s not frowned upon, it''s expected and it''s part of our social policy. So i am not worried about ppl resenting me etc. I just didn''t know when to disclose this info.

SO yes, i probably would not apply to this job if it were a private company or small business. My family runs one and when ppl leave it is a challenge. But government is a whole diff ball game. This job requires a very specific skill set that i have (training and education wise) so i feel like the applicant # will be low and there is a possibility that few ppl will apply since i live in a small city. However, i don''t feel comfortable keeping the pregnancy a secret, so i have decided to not address it in my CV, but def. in the interview, if i get one. I
Also, knowing the nature of government positions in the ministry i am applying, this job is probably not something they need to fill ASAP and might be held. That is why i feel like i can''t pass it up.

Best luck Jas - sounds like a stellar opportunity!! Hope that you get the position

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Jas, good luck! I think you have the right attitude in that I would disclose it at the interview. And that makes total sense about it being a government job vs. private corporation. Hope you at least get to interview for it and see what all it entails!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!! Also, never disclose. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results