shape
carat
color
clarity

would you do it again?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emmy_nyc

Rough_Rock
My husband purchased my ering from Bluenile about 6 years ago. At that time we really knew nothing about diamonds besides the basic 4c''s. My ering means the world to me and I am glad that even though we knew little, we were lucky to have purchased a great stone. Now that I know more about diamonds I was wondering if I would have purchased the same stone and from the same vendor. I love my stone but with all that I know now...I don''t know if I would do it again... How about you? Has anyone regret their first ering purchase? or wished they knew more and purchased the stone elsewhere?

n1.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emmy, my original engagement ring was a pear center with smaller pears on the sides. My husband purchased it in 1998 as the recommendation of his B&M jeweler and it turns out to have been a great stone. Fast forward many years and I traded it in for an oval. That oval made me crazy (for a variety fo reasons I won''t go into here) and I found Pricescope due to that stone. The oval was then traded for my current round and I depended heavily on what I had learned here to decide whether or not to buy it.

So, long story short, I never regretted by first stone at all, and I don''t regret that my husband bought it from the vendor that he did get it from because I think they treated him fairly and sold him a nice well cut dimond. But if I had known then what I know now I might have ended up with an oval that I liked rather than making the subsequent trade to a round.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not play any part in picking my ering, my husband did it all on his own and surprised me with a proposal. I have no idea what all the specs are on my diamond, but I do know that I love it and would not trade it in for anything...it means so much to me because my DH picked it out all by himself and knew that it was the diamond for me. My stone may not be perfect, but neither is our marriage, lol!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was purchased in 1994, WAY before the internet diamond craze. That stone is extreme sentimental value but its not such a great stone and we were WAAAAYYYY overcharged for it. Plus it was EGL and we never bothered to get it independently appraised (we took the store at its word) unti many years later. It was not what we were sold.

In 1994 there were not a lot of choices like there are now. We did however know enough to stay out of the malls. We went to the mall and were very turned off.

Your emerald cut looks beautiful. I reallly like the setting. What are the specs on it? Can we see a top view?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We bought my first rings in 1999 when I was 19. I thought I wanted a marquis in yellow gold. I drug my hubby all over the mall, and he wouldn''t even go into half the stores. He went back 2 days later, and bought a set he saw in one of the catalogs we had picked up, and proposed that afternoon. I got yellow gold, thinking it wouldn''t look "real" unless it was gold looking, not even thinking that I had alwyas worn white metals. Zales still sells the same ring for the same price. 4 years later I bought an antique white gold ring with a round diamond on ebay. The ring was too delicate for everyday wear, and I''ve now turned the center into a pendent for my sister. After that mistake I bought a beautiful pear semi-mount, but couldn''t afford a center stone, so I had a CZ set into it until we could afford the real thing. 2 1/2 years after that when we had the money to look for a real stone, I wanted a different shape. So, now I have an E/W oval in a platinum Scott Kay mounting, and a pave wedding band hubby picked out on his own and gave me for Christmas.

I still have my little Zales rings. I''m not very sentimental, but I do wear them once in a while when I''m in a yellow gold mood. If I were to do it all again I would definatly look more into what we were purchasing, set a budget, and maybe waited a while (we were engaged 2 1/2 years), and figre out what I really wanted.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I would still get the band but definitely a different stone. My stone is shallow. Eventually I''ll chuck it in a pendant and upgrade my e-ring.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would I do it the same again.... yes and no LOL I would use a different vendor, but I would want the same stone. I questioned my stone at first but the more I have it the more I love it and I''ve come to the point where I honestly don''t think there is something I want *more* than this stone exactly the way it is. I wish I could have given my business to a vendor other than blue nile... and I wish that I had turned to Mark instead of the vendor I worked with because even though I loved them they weren''t quite prepared to source a stone like mine. Everything about my stone is perfect for me... the size, the shape, the cut, the clarity, the color... the things I would change would turn it into an ideal round LOL So someday I''ll just have to buy an ideal round and then I will be diamond-complete!! So, I would do things differently, but only if I got the exact same stone I have. It is a quirky stone, but I am a quirky girl :)

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding ring setting I would never change, I love it as my husband designed it.

My wedding ring diamond... well??

My husband purchased the diamond all on his own over 11 years ago. He (and I) were both diamond illiterate. He was not given good advice from the jeweler/designer. It is not a very good cut at all and he was way overcharged. He trusted a professional who knew better. His intention was to get me the most beautiful, perfect stone he could afford. The fact that he was led astray and convinced that this was it, was not his fault.

I used to think that the moment we could afford it that I would change out my diamond for a far better one, but when the time came a few years later and I could have easily done it, I didn't.

When I look at my poorly cut diamond, it actually warms my heart because I know what it was "supposed" to be in my husbands mind. I've grown to love it, imperfect as it is.

Hubby has asked (and may eventually convince me) to put it in a pendant for our daughter. If I decide to do that, then maybe I'll think about getting a replacement. Somehow I've become pretty attached to it, so I still haven't made up my mind.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 6:17:21 PM
Author: SuzyQZ
My wedding ring setting I would never change, I love it as my husband designed it.

My wedding ring diamond... well??

My husband purchased the diamond all on his own over 11 years ago. He (and I) were both diamond illiterate. He was not given good advice from the jeweler/designer. It is not a very good cut at all and he was way overcharged. He trusted a professional who knew better. His intention was to get me the most beautiful, perfect stone he could afford. The fact that he was led astray and convinced that this was it, was not his fault.

I used to think that the moment we could afford it that I would change out my diamond for a far better one, but when the time came a few years later and I could have easily done it, I didn''t.

When I look at my poorly cut diamond, it actually warms my heart because I know what it was ''supposed'' to be in my husbands mind. I''ve grown to love it, imperfect as it is.

Hubby has asked (and may eventually convince me) to put it in a pendant for our daughter. If I decide to do that, then maybe I''ll think about getting a replacement. Somehow I''ve become pretty attached to it, so I still haven''t made up my mind.
Aww, Suzy, that is so sweet. Really touching.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results