shape
carat
color
clarity

would you buy this princess with a feather in the corner?

fung_adr

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time poster here hoping to get some of the same amazing responses I've seen on the forum so far.

I looking at buying a diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend and came across a princess cut that looks great (I color, VS1). But it has a feather in the corner. See the image below for the GIA diagram. You can see the feather in the bottom left corner of the pavilion diagram.

Otherwise, this stone looks flawless. Is the feather in a bad enough spot that it would knock the clarity rating down to a VS1? Should I be worried that this stone will have durability issues? Would I running a risk in getting this diamond set/reset?

Would appreciate any expert opinions on the matter.

Adrian

8-29-2011%203-51-45%20PM.png

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Re: would you buy this princess with a feather in the corner

I would not think with a VS1 that you should have any issues but we will see what others have to say. If you post your budget and carat size you are looking for we could maybe help you find some more stones to choose from:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the feather is apparently the reason for the VS1 grading
Yes, corners of princesses are the most vulnerable parts - most likely to have unfortunate incidents during setting, or during wear if you don't go with sufficiently protective prongs (V-prongs are common for this reason - to protect the delicate corners)

BUT it's a VS1, not an SI.

If you're having the same vendor set it, and you trust your vendor, I'd have them look it over and if they don't deem it a concern I'd get the finished ring insured and not worry about it anymore. If something happens and you're using the same vendor for the entire process - it's their problem.
If you're having a different vendor set it, I'd plan on an independent appraisal to determine if it's a concern. If he/she doesn't deem it a concern you'll want to get the stone insured for shipping & setting, and then insure the finished piece. This is harder as if something happens (again, it's a VS1-worthy inclusion, so this is not an automatic oh-my-god-this-is-so-risky situation) you may be dealing with vendors pointing fingers at each other, but with sufficient insurance and the right policy you should be covered.

fung_adr

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a stone around 3 ct minimum VS2 and I color for a budget no more than $30K.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

If you are looking for other options, I would call GOG and see what they can find in your budget/specs. they can get you all of the pictures/information to make an informed decisions and possibly a video of the diamonds also.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Uhm . . . I'd let someone else buy that diamond.

Princesses like to chip in the corners.
NO WAY I'd buy one with a crack there.

Feather is the diamond industry's pretty word for crack.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results