shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy now or wait?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would buy now IF you are 100% sure you''re going to buy at all. Even if you get a smaller stone now (say you spend 10k) and you really want a 15k stone - later you can upgrade to the bigger stone and the first 10k was at a discount relative to the remainder. Not sure if I explained that well....

EightStar_jr

Rough_Rock
One thing you may want to take note of is that diamond prices have increased based on last week's Rapaport price sheet. While prices have increased though, it was not a consistent percentage across the board. The price increases were mostly in diamond 2 carats and larger. 1 carat diamonds were not affected much below IF and VVS clarity in middle of the road colors. Below .90 prices were unchanged.

Also, it is common practice for dealers to increase the cost of their goods when the replacement cost increases. Everyone I know in the industry does it. On the flip side, we also adjust pricing downward when the Rapaport sheet shows a decrease...
1.gif

Just some food for thought...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations JeBri-you won''t be sorry getting a stone from Brian and Lesley! I would just go for broke if you are sure you have picked your setting. It is an amazing feeling when you get the box
from Fed/Ex and open up that gorgeous sparklie! You won''t want to have to send it back again. Plus you will save on the return shipping costs. Which one are you going for? Can''t wait to see it. Make sure
you post lots of pics of your new baby!

icetea

Rough_Rock
How much does it cost to ship a ring (back to BGD in this example) correctly?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how you ship it. If you send it registered mail with insurance, it would be (just guessing here) 50-75 bucks. It can take two very nerve wracking weeks. I sent my diamond to New York
Fed/Ex with no insurance (because I bought a separate policy) for 50. I''m sure you could figure out the charges online. But when the setting is 250. and shipping is 50-but the perfect setting is only
1275, I would rather save the 50 bucks.

Also, I should have mentioned that when I was researching for my last (and final) upgrade, and the stone prices went up at Whiteflash, I called them and they said they would honor the previous price. It is always
worth asking if you are looking at a stone one day and the price goes up the next. I really appreciated that about them. I ended up getting a stone from Brian, as they took certain Whiteflash trade-ins
and was able to get a little larger stone. Just something to think about.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 8:53:05 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I would buy now IF you are 100% sure you''re going to buy at all. Even if you get a smaller stone now (say you spend 10k) and you really want a 15k stone - later you can upgrade to the bigger stone and the first 10k was at a discount relative to the remainder. Not sure if I explained that well....
really doesn''t make any difference,b/c if you pay more now then you''ll get more dollar credit later when you do an upgrade. remember...the customer''s stone will never go up in value.
39.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 9:25:13 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
It depends on how you ship it. If you send it registered mail with insurance, it would be (just guessing here) 50-75 bucks. It can take two very nerve wracking weeks. I sent my diamond to New York
Fed/Ex with no insurance (because I bought a separate policy) for 50. I'm sure you could figure out the charges online. But when the setting is 250. and shipping is 50-but the perfect setting is only
1275, I would rather save the 50 bucks.

Also, I should have mentioned that when I was researching for my last (and final) upgrade, and the stone prices went up at Whiteflash, I called them and they said they would honor the previous price. It is always
worth asking if you are looking at a stone one day and the price goes up the next. I really appreciated that about them. I ended up getting a stone from Brian, as they took certain Whiteflash trade-ins
and was able to get a little larger stone. Just something to think about.
This is a good idea, it really never hurts to ask at least.

Man, these price increases are crazy!

Jen 1275 is the setting but you will need to factor in the side stones if you are wanting a three-stone. That is at least another $1000, so really closer to $2000 plus for a three stone setting. I just did the same math as you and opted for the temp setting for a year until I make up my mind exactly what I want
4.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
i would get the setting you want with the stone and have it all done at once. if you found the stone and setting you want, why not get it done?

wasting the $125 (half the cost of the simple solitaire setting) and the $70 shipping is not worth it IMO. even if you were to charge the $1000 on a credit card, you wouldn''t be paying $195 in interest over the next 2-3 months while paying off the cost. you did say that you would have the money for the setting within a few months right?

and congrats for graduating and getting such an awesome sparkly for yourself!!

36.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a whole year to decide too Dreamer. I wanted it to be the last time I do this. As fun as it is, the whole process is a little nerve-racking. But if you are sure of the setting you want, I would do it all in
one fell swoop.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well I thought about it alot last night and the Hubby said that we might as well do it now....so I decided to take the plunge and buy! Aw! I''m really not good at all with making big purchases--my husband said it''s a good thing we''re not rich because I would be a very bad rich person
2.gif
Here''s the link to the diamond:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040381680032

As far as the setting, I am sending in my current 3 stone ring to Brian to see if he can use my two .30 sidestones and make a new 3 stone for me. The IS on the diamonds is good, I don''t see any leakage to my non-expert eyes, but I''m not sure what Brian''s assessment will be. So, if it works, then I will buy the classic 3 stone setting from BGD, and have them set my center stone higher and *slightly* tuck the sides under. However, if the side stones don''t work, I''ll have to re-think..I''ll probably do a temp setting for a while.

So now I get to play the waiting game--I''m nervous to send in my current e-ring!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
heartfelt congrats to you and may you enjoy this beauty for many many wonderful years. I hope the side stones work. Will be a beaut!

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
woo hooo congrats! another ring on the way!

icetea

Rough_Rock
I was looking at this stone, I''m sure it will be gorgeous. :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds great JeBri! Keep in mind that Brian does re-cuts. It is possible he might make your stones better with just a little tweak. He has some pictures on his site of re-cuts he has done.
You will be blown away when you first see your stone! I can''t wait for you to get it! Don''t worry about sending your ring in. Do you have it insured on your homeowners policy or with a separate policy?
I think you can overnight it with the post office and insure it. That is what I would do. BGD will let you know when they have it. It is a little scary but I have only heard of one or two problems ever, and
pricescope folks do it all the time!

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/15/2010 12:35:27 AM
Author: luv2sparkle
That sounds great JeBri! Keep in mind that Brian does re-cuts. It is possible he might make your stones better with just a little tweak. He has some pictures on his site of re-cuts he has done.
You will be blown away when you first see your stone! I can''t wait for you to get it! Don''t worry about sending your ring in. Do you have it insured on your homeowners policy or with a separate policy?
I think you can overnight it with the post office and insure it. That is what I would do. BGD will let you know when they have it. It is a little scary but I have only heard of one or two problems ever, and
pricescope folks do it all the time!
The ring is insured on my homeowners policy--after reading through PS, I will be insuring the new ring under a separate policy!

I''m fixing to go out to the Post Office--Jamie from BGD said to ship it insured registered usps mail. Everyone wish me luck! It''s going to be a long wait for me until I can get this beauty on my finger
3.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think you made a great choice. I tend to live stuff unset while I decide.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are getting it now. The diamond is gorgeous.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you made a great decision. Please let us know what Brian says about your side stones. What size are they?

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/17/2010 12:06:06 AM
Author: dreamer_d
I think you made a great decision. Please let us know what Brian says about your side stones. What size are they?
The side stones are .30 each, so if it works, the diamonds would be .30/1.20/.30. My current e-ring arrived in Houston today so hopefully it won''t be long before I hear something about the side stones!
36.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 11:44:59 AM
Author: JeBri31508

Date: 5/17/2010 12:06:06 AM
The side stones are .30 each, so if it works, the diamonds would be .30/1.20/.30. My current e-ring arrived in Houston today so hopefully it won''t be long before I hear something about the side stones!
36.gif
ooooh! Keep us posted on whether you can use them or not!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
hmm.

how much have prices really gone up though (apart from the honker stones)?

can someone link me to an article?

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So Brian inspected my side stones to see if they will work for a 3 stone ring and.....they work!
28.gif
I''m soo excited to be able to incorporate my original e-ring design and some of the original diamonds in with my new ring. It is very special. I''ll be doing the classic 3 stone setting, but I''m going to have the center raised above the sides, and the side diamonds will be slightly tilted up towards the center (not too much though, just not straight across). 18k white gold. And my finger is a 5.5, so I should have some good finger coverage with a .30/1.20/.30 proportion.

I absolutely cannot wait to see it finished!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 5:06:34 PM
So Brian inspected my side stones to see if they will work for a 3 stone ring and.....they work!
28.gif
I''m soo excited to be able to incorporate my original e-ring design and some of the original diamonds in with my new ring. It is very special. I''ll be doing the classic 3 stone setting, but I''m going to have the center raised above the sides, and the side diamonds will be slightly tilted up towards the center (not too much though, just not straight across). 18k white gold. And my finger is a 5.5, so I should have some good finger coverage with a .30/1.20/.30 proportion.

I absolutely cannot wait to see it finished!
It will look awesome! I think those proportions are perfect.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 7:00:44 PM

Date: 5/26/2010 5:47:40 PM
I started a thread about this a while back and went through the SMTB eye clandy thread and found all the rings with 1.2 centers. I posted pictures on later pages on this thread showing all the varieties. To give you an idea for what your ring will look like: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-the-perfect-proportions-for-a-three-stone-ring.131187/
Wow Dreamer, thanks so much! I am super excited :)
Me too! As you can see in that thread I was seriously considering a three stone like you are doing, so I love seeing rings with those proportions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results