shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy/have you bought from this company? *CHICAGO*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

love_sparkles

Rough_Rock
Long story short, one of my girlfriends has a connection to this company- http://www.gottliebbrothers.com/index.html

They supposedly sell "wholesale" & would be willing to work with my boyfriend and I because we have a connection to the family.
My girlfriend and her mother are pushing us to go to them in order to get a bigger stone for less money, but I''m hesitant based on what I''ve learned here.
I don''t know a lot, but it looks like these diamonds aren''t certified?

Has anyone ever heard of this company? Done business with them? What do you all, as experts, think about working with a company like this?
FWIW, we currently have a diamond on hold with GOG- a 1.5, I, SI1. I would love to go a little bigger & better on color, but don''t want to sacrifice an amazing cut!

Thanks!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you could compare a hand-picked stone from GOG with an uncertified stone. I honestly wouldn''t be comfortable with a "friend of the family" situation. It gets sticky if something goes wrong.

love_sparkles

Rough_Rock
I'd tend to agree with you on the potential for a sticky situation. I already feel slightly pressured by my friend to check them out. She can't *imagine* why my boyfriend would spend the money elsewhere when he could get something of similar quality but larger from her "guy." I guess I just wonder since they say they have a colorimeter that works with GIA standards & they use GIA as their basis, yadda yadda, if it could actually be similar. They give you an "evaluation" with all the angles you'd need to put in the HCA so I suppose there's always that. http://www.gottliebbrothers.com/pages/technology.html

I have no doubts that I would be thrilled with GOG, but my girlfriend's family has some amazing jewelry that they claim comes from this place, so I am led to temptation...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Does it hurt to ask them to look and see what the options are? If you don''t like it, you still have your GOG diamond.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot even count the number of horror stories we hear about "friends of the family".

If you want to check it out, by all means certainly do. But go prepared, and DO NOT BUY no matter how much pressure they give you. Bring all the information back here, and we'll help you compare. And IF you decide to buy from them after all this, make the sale contingent upon an independent appraisal.

Oh and anyone who claims that they are a "wholesaler but sell to the public" is either A) lying to the government about taxes, B) doesn't understand what a wholesaler is, C) is totally clueless and/or manipulative, or D) a combo of above. Anyone who sells to the public is a RETAILER. Period. Don't buy their BS.

love_sparkles

Rough_Rock
Good point, Charmy. Maybe I''m afraid I''ll get a look at something *BIG* & lose sight of what''s really important!
20.gif
Plus, I have a hard time standing up to this friend & would feel strange telling her that I like what I''ve found better.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:34:18 PM
Author: love_sparkles
Plus, I have a hard time standing up to this friend & would feel strange telling her that I like what I''ve found better.

That''s another reason to just bow out now IMO before you get involved and get pressured into buying something that probably isn''t the "deal" it''s supposed to be.

love_sparkles

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:32:08 PM
Author: neatfreak
I cannot even count the number of horror stories we hear about ''friends of the family''.

If you want to check it out, by all means certainly do. But go prepared, and DO NOT BUY no matter how much pressure they give you. Bring all the information back here, and we''ll help you compare. And IF you decide to buy from them after all this, make the sale contingent upon an independent appraisal.

Oh and anyone who claims that they are a ''wholesaler but sell to the public'' is either A) lying to the government about taxes, B) doesn''t understand what a wholesaler is, C) is totally clueless and/or manipulative, or D) a combo of above. Anyone who sells to the public is a RETAILER. Period. Don''t buy their BS.
Good to know & thanks! While we''re at it, I should probably make a new post, but here is the diamond he has on hold- http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4577/ My only fear is that we are planning on having Maytal Hannah make the setting (I can''t wait!) & she uses F & G colored melee. I''ve never seen an ''I'' in person- should probably do that as well before purchasing. Sarah from GOG says it''s very white face up, but the setting will show a lot of the profile.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:37:39 PM
Author: love_sparkles
Date: 9/9/2008 6:32:08 PM

Author: neatfreak

I cannot even count the number of horror stories we hear about ''friends of the family''.

If you want to check it out, by all means certainly do. But go prepared, and DO NOT BUY no matter how much pressure they give you. Bring all the information back here, and we''ll help you compare. And IF you decide to buy from them after all this, make the sale contingent upon an independent appraisal.

Oh and anyone who claims that they are a ''wholesaler but sell to the public'' is either A) lying to the government about taxes, B) doesn''t understand what a wholesaler is, C) is totally clueless and/or manipulative, or D) a combo of above. Anyone who sells to the public is a RETAILER. Period. Don''t buy their BS.

Good to know & thanks! While we''re at it, I should probably make a new post, but here is the diamond he has on hold- http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4577/ My only fear is that we are planning on having Maytal Hannah make the setting (I can''t wait!) & she uses F & G colored melee. I''ve never seen an ''I'' in person- should probably do that as well before purchasing. Sarah from GOG says it''s very white face up, but the setting will show a lot of the profile.

You will be totally fine with an I center stone from GOG. I wouldn''t worry. And IF you decide to go see I''s in person, make sure you are comparing apples to apples by comparing only an AGS or GIA graded ideal cut stone that is an I.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with the stories we hear from working with a "friend of the family/friend of a friend", etc. They rarely have a happy ending, and as noted, it can get sticky.

Also, after trying to shop locally and finally buying online (a H&A stone from GOG), the only stones I saw that begin to compare with mine were Hearts on Fire, and there''s a hefty premium that comes with. I doubt you could compare apples with apples at this place....

I personally vote to politely say you''ve found your own jeweler to work with, and leave it at that. Sure, they will be breaking their necks to see what you ended up with. Just let the stone speak for itself. Oh, and you might hand out some shades while you''re at it. It will give them something to fiddle with while it leaves them speechless.
9.gif
2.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Ellen. Search the "friend of the family" threads and see all the problems. Besides, if it is a friend or "her guy" do you really want them to find out how much you paid? Do it YOUR way
2.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
This friend sounds a bit pushy for my liking. My initial reaction is to say NO WAY, especially if said friend makes you not able to stand up for yourself. This is YOUR ring, not hers and she really shouldn''t have any input.

I also agree with the others that situations where there is a ''friend of a friend'' involved things don''t usually turn out well. I''d suggest you go to an uninvolved third party and leave it at that. I don''t feel you need to even explain your decision other than to say thanks for the referral, but you''re using someone else.

Good luck!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I bought an I/SI1 from GOG and it is totally white! No worries there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results