shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy an "M" or lower color diamond?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like a really beautiful stone Taylor!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Imdanny said:
kenny said:
No, I wouldn't.
I find that even our H bothers me in certain lighting.
Grey, brown, yellow are not what I like.

Wow, I don't think my monitor's working because the diamond in your avatar looks green! ;))
It's been humid here and I think it's mold. ;(

LOL

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I love the warmer colors and the bang for your buck that comes with them! If it is pleasing to the eye don't get hung up on the grade.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Taylorbug! said:
tyty333 said:
I would definitly do a lower color but for a pear it's all going to be dependent on the cut. I think there are more chances
of a pear not looking good in a lower color than in a lower color round due to the cut. Have you seen the diamond? Any
pictures to post? (You know we love pictures!)

Here is is...M color VS2 clarity...what do you think???

That looks like a DBL pic, and it looks like a beauty! If it is DBL, you may want to give them a call to see if you can get a photo/video in natural lighting. Before I found PS, I never would have even looked below an H, but I find that I love the lower colors on the AVC's and AV Rounds or antique stones. For modern cuts, not so much.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally i wouldn't choose an M color diamond for an ER. I would either stay on the colorless or near colorless grades, or else i'd go very very low...But for a RHR they are amazing. I own an M RHR and i really enjoy wearing it...It looks very beautiful...

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Taylorbug! said:
tyty333 said:
I would definitly do a lower color but for a pear it's all going to be dependent on the cut. I think there are more chances
of a pear not looking good in a lower color than in a lower color round due to the cut. Have you seen the diamond? Any
pictures to post? (You know we love pictures!)

Here is is...M color VS2 clarity...what do you think???

It looks very white! I wonder what the color looks like in real life?
Sure is pretty!

I think it would be lovely as a right hand ring or another piece of jewelry but for an e-ring I wouldn't go M unless it was antique look.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yup! Here's my O-P OEC.

IndyOEC1.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
littlemissmango said:
Oh ArujaJane... how I love that dazzling ring!! (ETA: on second look, is that your Grace in the pic? The shank looks tapered, so perhaps not! I was just so mesmerized by the AVC!)

I think it is interesting that my two favorite rings (AJ's yellow, and Queen Mum's rose gold grace) were both set with an M colored stone. I absolutely LOVE the way they play off of the color of the gold in each. I am currently drooling over an M-colored AVC... I did not realize when I first began my search that colors beyond the near-colorless range could be a good choice for me. But for any OEC or vintage-looking cut, especially the chunky AVC, I absolutely love that warmth. I also agree that it adds an element of even greater depth to those stones. Plus they are so much less expensive -- bonus!

For a crisp RB, though, I think I do prefer a more colorless look. I'm also not sure that I would love that much color on a pear as it would be concentrated only on the tip and might look a little uneven, perhaps. But still, definitely pro-tinted diamonds here! :)

Hey missmango,
No that was when it was set in the Legato, before it got re-set in the Grace ::)
Thanks for your comments.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
betty6333 said:
Yes, but for a RHR only. For an engagement ring I would not. RHR's I wear many colors, and so a tinted yellow stone wouldnt bother me, as I would find a great setting to show it off.

She took the words right out of my mouth, lol, this is how I feel as well, I would find a awsome setting to enhance the color and then rock it out!

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
I really do love warm color diamonds and yes I am hoping to get a K-M color e-ring in the future. I would only wear lower than an M as a RHR b/c I wouldn't like the really visible tint of yellow I would see. Although your diamond is beautiful. I really love OEC's and OMC's and antique cushions in lower colors they are absolutely amazing. I can't wait to hopefully get an OEC or OMC in K-L color e-ring one day.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Most definitely, I adore more color in a diamond. 'White' diamonds are around all the time and they don't usually catch my eye, but something like bright ice's new N is just one of a kind. And I thought I only really liked antique stones in lower colors, but after seeing that one...wow. The way it sparkles, the colors it throws, it is truly a showstopper. Doesn't hurt that it's huge, but anyway...

I think the notion of an ering is very different depending on where you go or the group of people you are with; some of my friends have sapphires, inherited antiques, etc, and it is not all that common for someone to have the typical colorless solitaire. An interesting, sentimental, heirloom quality piece is what makes an awesome ering IMO.

But back to the subject: the pear looks beautiful and I love a good M.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBL said:
Most definitely, I adore more color in a diamond. 'White' diamonds are around all the time and they don't usually catch my eye, but something like bright ice's new N is just one of a kind. And I thought I only really liked antique stones in lower colors, but after seeing that one...wow. The way it sparkles, the colors it throws, it is truly a showstopper. Doesn't hurt that it's huge, but anyway...

I think the notion of an ering is very different depending on where you go or the group of people you are with; some of my friends have sapphires, inherited antiques, etc, and it is not all that common for someone to have the typical colorless solitaire. An interesting, sentimental, heirloom quality piece is what makes an awesome ering IMO.

But back to the subject: the pear looks beautiful and I love a good M.

Thanks for those comments CBL.

I think each stone certainly has to stand on it's own, but if it's a beautiful diamond why let a little color stop you from getting it? It really only matters if YOU are happy with it.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have an M coloured pear.

I can always see the tint but I like it, it goes from a creamy off white to a real soft peachy colour depending on the lighting.

If you want to see the tint put it with some yummy high white side stones :lickout:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an M I1. It was an ideal cut. I don't know if it was the inclusions, or the colour, or both but I didn't end up keeping it. I think for me the lowest I would go is a K.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have this crazy internal struggle with lower colored stones. I wanna love 'em, I really do. Everytime someone posts a pic of them I think they're so pretty.

Then reality hits when I look at my K and see the color. It's still beautiful but yea, the tint bugs me.

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
I know this is an old thread but still helpful to anyone looking at a warm color pear. Here's my m color pear. I'm having a custom rose gold setting made for it. The stone is in a holder ring. GIA 1.67 M si1 medium culet faint florescence
img_0004_3.jpg
img_0080.jpg
img_0144.jpg

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
img_0147_2.jpg
Under my porch
img_0150_0.jpg
In direct sunlight

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
plpinkinsa|1476651656|4087715 said:
I know this is an old thread but still helpful to anyone looking at a warm color pear. Here's my m color pear. I'm having a custom rose gold setting made for it. The stone is in a holder ring. GIA 1.67 M si1 medium culet faint florescence
img_0004_3.jpg
img_0080.jpg
img_0144.jpg

This is a very beautiful M. It looks ivory in some pics, and near white in others. It's really beautiful. I see the color, but it seems to work for this stone. Congratulations!

Shondra

Rough_Rock
I think it all comes down to a matter of personal preference, really. If you love the stone then you should definitely get it. Everyone here has different opinions on what's nice and what's not. Personally I prefer the colorless stones, but I can see how that one can be charming and 'antique'.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love warm diamonds. :)

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1476677624|4087798 said:
plpinkinsa|1476651656|4087715 said:
img_0004_3.jpg
img_0080.jpg
img_0144.jpg

This is a very beautiful M. It looks ivory in some pics, and near white in others. It's really beautiful. I see the color, but it seems to work for this stone. Congratulations!

Thanks I love it! It is ivory in most lighting. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I love the warmth and personality of this stone. It's not everyday you see a warm diamond, but I like to be different. Warm diamonds need love too

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taylorbug!|1280447227|2662898 said:
Tell my why or why you wouldn't? I have found a nice pear shape that is an "M"....is it going to look "dingy" or just warmer and more antiquey? :confused:
I haven't read the thread and am just responding to the OP.

No, I wouldn't buy an M or lower color diamond.
Actually H is as 'low' as I'd go.

Unless it's in the category of Fancy Colored Diamond I just don't care for diamonds on GIA's D-Z scale with a lot of body color.
To me there is desirable color and undesirable color.
You might ask me why, and which is which?
No reason. There is no requirement to justify or rationalize.
Just opinion, just preference.
Another person's preference is just as legit as mine, but each applies only to the owner of the opinion.

I can't answer the question of whether they look 'dingy' or warm and antiquey.
Answering such a question implies it's a fact, while it is all opinion.

I can state a few related facts though.
They will have more body color than diamonds closer to D on the scale.
You will get a larger diamond for the budget, and size is a very high priority to many diamond buyers.
Some people do look down on them so if the woman is surprised by a low-color diamond during a proposal the reaction may not be good, leading to awkwardness and unpleasantness all around.

All that said, if you like it buy it. Rock it. Enjoy it.
If satisfying everyone you meet is more important to you than your own opinion (nothing wrong with that), don't buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results