shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a piece you used to own?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently came across a ring that is the exact style of my mother's engagement ring which was stolen in a burglary in 2000. Sixteen years later and I still have the appraisal for it, I was so devastated since I lost my mom when I was eight.

Not an expensive ring by any means but very distinctive in its style. A lot of these illusion settings only had one diamond, hers had a center and then smaller diamonds around it. The center diamond was small, only twelve points but I loved it.

So, I search (still) from time to time to see if I can track it down and I found the same exact style ring on Etsy recently although the center diamond is larger at 1/4 carat. For a minute, I thought about buying it but I know that I would look at it and know it's not the same. It really isn't the ring, it's the fact that it was hers so another ring would be just that and nothing more.

If you came across a piece you once had and lost in some way, would you buy it again?

_1375.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it obviously has a great sentimental value to you, so if it makes you happy to see it or something like it then I'd say that is fine. I am not sure if I would buy something I used to own or not. I have very little attachment to most of what I own jewellery wise ie if I sold it, or lost it, I would probably just buy something else and not really worry about it that much.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Since the actual ring had sentimental value to you, I wouldn't think that a different ring would have the same meaning. It sounds like the ring was special t you because it belonged to your mom and obviously, the other ring you've found did not. Personally, I wouldn't buy it because it wouldn't be the style of ring that would hold any significance, it would be who owned it/where it came from (my mom). I suppose if your budget allowed for the purchase and it reminds you of your mom, then there's no harm in buying it.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I have bought similar pieces for nostalgia sake many times. Not just jewelry. But I bought figurines that were similar to what my grandmother had and I spent 4 hours on etsy finding a porcelain bird that matched one that my mom had that broke to give her for her birthday.

My family dog passed away and my mom is looking at dogs that look similar. It's weird but it can be comforting.

My cousin's engagement ring looks a lot like her mother's in law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was my old anniversary ring, yes. Otherwise, no.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if I missed it I would.

I see nothing wrong with buying a ring that resembles what your mother wore for so many years. If it reminds you of her
than that's a good thing in my mind.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I miss a ring I sold a number of years ago. It was costume but I'd love to have it back!

Do you think you'd wear the ring that's similar to your mother's ring?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would. I can't explain it. There would be no real logic to it. It's just a material thing. But yes, I would buy something that even reminded me of something else. I may or may not regret it. I haven't actually done it yet.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea- I always thought that I would wear a replica of my mom's ring but I think the reality is that it would just be a constant reminder that I no longer have her ring. So my initial reaction was that I should buy it but after really thinking about it I've decided not to.

Plus we are trying to pay down our debt and accrued more debt when our dog had to have emergency surgery so I couldn't justify a purchase like this currently.

Just interesting to see other people's opinions, what they would do in this type of situation.

quickjewelryrepairs

Rough_Rock
It is obvious that this ring has a great deal of sentimental value to you, but that does not mean that buying a new one does not. You will create just as many memories if not more wearing this new ring. I would think about purchasing it because this could be the start of a new beginning and you could possibly pass it on and make this ring sentimental for someone else.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sentimental about my stuff - probably too much - and imo in your situation, I would get the ring. It's not your mother's ring, you know that, and you will always know that, but it LOOKS like it, and looking down at something that looks like what your mother used to look at when she wore that ring - that would give me a lot of sentimental feels. Even if it's not the ring she owned, it's still something that could give you a tangible connection, and I'm all about those.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I had a bracelet that was stolen many years ago. There were several people that had pieces stolen that night. :angryfire: Anyway, I find myself browsing through bracelet images sometimes in hopes of seeing one like it. If it was at a reasonable cost then I would probably buy it. I'm not sure why because I have a much blingier bracelet now. (New word "blingier" = much more bling than previous jewelry piece! :lol: ). I think if I eventually get a DBTY bracelet then that will help with the obvious trauma that I'm still dealing with. :Up_to_something: At least that's what I'm going to try telling my DH next in hopes of getting a DBTY bracelet! :naughty:

Great thread! I liked reading all the comments. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would if it held sentimental value for me. I lost a special bracelet hiking in Alaska in the 90s and I have never seen anything like it since and if I could get that back I would. I like to think of it still in Alaska enjoying the beautiful landscape.

If a piece holds special memories for you and you can afford to purchase it then I absolutely would. For a similar but not the same exact piece I'm not sure because it depends on how it would make me feel. Of course there is no universal right answer as the answer depends on the individual and how much the piece of jewelry means to you and the feelings it evokes.

In fact my ER is based on the sentimentality of my grandmother's ring. Even though it is not her ring it reminds me of her and is one of the reasons I was drawn to having an OEC for my ER. That and the gorgeous facets and beautiful colors that emanate from the OEC. But a big factor was also that it reminds me of my grandma.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate so much everyone's input. I'm starting to rethink my perspective, I was looking for a piece of jewelry to ask for as a Christmas present. When I said I have searched and never found an exact replica until this one, I was really serious.

The asking price on this is a bit more than I was looking to spend. Do you guys think the price is reasonable for this type of ring?

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
StephanieLynn said:
I appreciate so much everyone's input. I'm starting to rethink my perspective, I was looking for a piece of jewelry to ask for as a Christmas present. When I said I have searched and never found an exact replica until this one, I was really serious.

The asking price on this is a bit more than I was looking to spend. Do you guys think the price is reasonable for this type of ring?

I don't know about the price but you can always ask to negotiate because a lot of jewelers will have some wiggle room.

You could ask for a payment plan for 6 months and then ask for etsy gift cards for Christmas (if the shop takes gift cards).

You could also post to the antique jewelry forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results