shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a non-eye-clean SI1?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

summerluv

Rough_Rock
Hi me asking for help again . I love PS but the more I read the more I get confused! Please help me decide!
I had my eye on an ACA on WF for a while, but it got sold! So now I have another one on hold. It''s a D SI1, for about $9500 (I think PSers get a small discount though). It scores a 1.0 on HCA. Awesome right.

But it has a fairly big inclusion on the side (see pic). I found out from WF that the inclusion "is not visible from 10 inches away", which implies it IS visible within 10 inches.. I think 10 inches is pretty far. Like if I were typing on the keyboard my eyes would be ~5 inches from my ring, so I''d be able to see it
15.gif

I really like it otherwise.. But would you pay $9500 for a non-eye clean diamond?

Thank you!

WF_diamond_summerluv.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 9:52:40 AM
Author:summerluv
Hi me asking for help again . I love PS but the more I read the more I get confused! Please help me decide!
I had my eye on an ACA on WF for a while, but it got sold! So now I have another one on hold. It's a D SI1, for about $9500 (I think PSers get a small discount though). It scores a 1.0 on HCA. Awesome right.

But it has a fairly big inclusion on the side (see pic). I found out from WF that the inclusion 'is not visible from 10 inches away', which implies it IS visible within 10 inches.. I think 10 inches is pretty far. Like if I were typing on the keyboard my eyes would be ~5 inches from my ring, so I'd be able to see it
15.gif

I really like it otherwise.. But would you pay $9500 for a non-eye clean diamond?

Thank you!
Maybe I would, but it depends on your comfort level. It is possible that the inclusion could be placed near a prong which might minimize it a bit.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 9:55:03 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 2/8/2009 9:52:40 AM

Author:summerluv

I had my eye on an ACA on WF for a while, but it got sold! So now I have another one on hold. It''s a D SI1, for about $9500 (I think PSers get a small discount though). It scores a 1.0 on HCA. Awesome right.

But it has a fairly big inclusion on the side (see pic). I found out from WF that the inclusion ''is not visible from 10 inches away'', which implies it IS visible within 10 inches.. I think 10 inches is pretty far. Like if I were typing on the keyboard my eyes would be ~5 inches from my ring, so I''d be able to see it
15.gif

Thank you!

Maybe I would, but it depends on your comfort level. It is possible that the inclusion could be placed near a prong which might minimize it a bit.

Ditto if it were prongable then I would

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thritto.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone looks lovely!
Based on the photo, I believe it will be eye clean.
If you hold your hand 10 inches in front of your face, that''s about as close as you''d normally examine something. Move it closer and it''s very difficult to focus.
Plus, the imperfection looks "soft" and in a difficult location to see.
If you love it, go for it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inclusion would not bother me at all, and I bet it would be eyeclean as David suggested. It probably could be easily hidden under a prong. If a super white diamond is very important to you, than I think the color in combination with the superb cutting will far outshine this one small inclusion.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 10:42:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That inclusion would not bother me at all, and I bet it would be eyeclean as David suggested. It probably could be easily hidden under a prong. If a super white diamond is very important to you, than I think the color in combination with the superb cutting will far outshine this one small inclusion.
I 2nd this!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind eye-visible inclusions, but I''m not sure I would pay an SI1 price for a diamond that had one. I would look for a relatively clean I1 of similarly excellent cut and color and buy that instead, if I could.

(I''m not advising you to do that. I''m just saying that''s what I would--and did--do myself.)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The stone is lovely, and if it can be hidden--even better. I have "loupe vision," so eye visible inclusions in diamonds do bother me, as my eye will always go right to it. It's all about your personal vision/tolerance.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Other people would not see the inclusion, but if you are like me you would. I often bring my hand up close to gaze at my stone and setting. Furthermore I often take it off my finger and go in for a closer look.

So I would not buy a diamond for a ring that was not eye clean meaning inclusions visible only with a loupe.

Is this stone your only option? I own both D and E colours and cannot tell the difference. Is there an E available?

What is the ct size?

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Summerluv,

AGS uses the 10-inch distance for their “close observation point,” as does WF and many other professionals. Ten inches is used because, according to AGS, it is “the distance at which focus is attained without strain, for a majority of people.”

So, it is therefore not implicit that a closer observation distance would make inclusions visible.

With respect to this diamond, the inclusion is off to the side and could be hidden by a prong, as indicated previously. But if the inclusion greatly bothers you, you certainly can consider anther stone. You may be more comfortable moving up to the VS level of clarity.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this inclusion and I''ll tell you why. For me, it would be easily hidden by a prong, and you''re saving $$ on a stone that would ordinarily cost a lot more in the VS and VVS range for that cut and color. I also like some small inclusions in my gems because it''s a fingerprint that helps identify it to me.

summerluv

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys. Yeah I would rather have an E/F or even G color with VS2, but WF is not having a lot of stones in stock right now, and I really want my ring bad =( This is a 1.23ct. WF did indicate to me that they might be able to hide it under a prong, or place the prong near it so it''s not too visible.

I''m wondering if I should wait and see if WF gets more stones in.. But I''m getting very impatient!

Thank you

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:30:30 PM
Author: summerluv
Thank you guys. Yeah I would rather have an E/F or even G color with VS2, but WF is not having a lot of stones in stock right now, and I really want my ring bad =( This is a 1.23ct. WF did indicate to me that they might be able to hide it under a prong, or place the prong near it so it''s not too visible.

I''m wondering if I should wait and see if WF gets more stones in.. But I''m getting very impatient!

Thank you
Act in haste, repent at leisure?

Don''t do it. There is a premium attached to D - if you are not fussed about that then don''t pay for it, especially if it has a visible inclusion thrown in for free.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Never. You''re paying for an SI1. Why not wait for one that is eyeclean? It''s not like they''re discounting this one.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 11:29:38 AM
Author: coatimundi
The stone is lovely, and if it can be hidden--even better. I have ''loupe vision,'' so eye visible inclusions in diamonds do bother me, as my eye will always go right to it. It''s all about your personal vision/tolerance.
what vision ?? when you get to my age...every stone is eye clean.
28.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no; i''d get a cleanish-I1 instead.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Only if it could be hidden by a prong would I get it. Otherwise, I would pass on it.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I might, but probably not for an engagement ring. I guess it would be more of a "mind clean" thing, and I''d like to know that if I decided to change the setting one day, it wouldn''t have to depend on hiding my inclusion. For a pendant I probably would go for it, but only if the price was right. As hard as it is, I think you should wait for an eyeclean one to come along, or lower your color standards to up your clarity budget. You don''t want to regret it later.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Not sure on this one....the inclussion is rather large, if you can see it now....it will bother you later
31.gif
Now, IF the seller is willing to negotiate, I''d reconsider since there''s no other visible inclussions. .02

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
For me personally, I would have to factor in a few things. First, how much would this exact stone cost if it did not have a `visible but not visible) inclusion? Were you in the market for a D stone anyway....very nice to have
9.gif
, but is the price driven up more than you would want to pay because the color is higher than you need. ie. I would try to work out if the other specs of the stone are in line with your preferences. If the answer is yes to the D color, and the savings are high because of the inclusion, thus allowing you to purchase a stone that otherwise would have been out of budget, then I would buy it.

However, there is nothing like comparing with your own eyes. I would be interested in what other options are around in this price bracket eg. lower color and tatally eye clean????

I dont think an inclusion like this in a set stone will be visible, especially with all the sparkle going on.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy it if it was prongable.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Remember that you are seeing this inclusion at 40x magnification. The inclusion may be quite small when you see the actual stone. You can always have WF send the stone and take a look at it. If you don''t like it, send it back. Good luck with finding your diamond
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they could hide it by placing it by a prong no one may ever notice it. However, if I could see it naked eye it would bother me. The diamond does look lovely though.

vf0valkyrie

Rough_Rock
But it has a fairly big inclusion on the side (see pic). I found out from WF that the inclusion ''is not visible from 10 inches away'', which implies it IS visible within 10 inches.. I think 10 inches is pretty far. Like if I were typing on the keyboard my eyes would be ~5 inches from my ring, so I''d be able to see it
15.gif
Can I clarify something?
I understand that pictures taken by WF are at 40 times zoom, meaning if you are looking at a loupe, it will be 4 times smaller, and if you look at it with your naked eyes, it will be 40 times smaller, is my logic right?

If so, then I don''t think I will be able to sport that inclusion be it at 10 inch or 1 inch.

But I might have missed something...

Just my two cents worth

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First off, I would clarify with Whiteflash whether the stone is eye clean at say 3-11 inches. If it''s not, I would probably pass on it because of the price and because you said you would prefer to go down a bit in color. If you wait for the right stone, you could probably save a lot of money.

summerluv

Rough_Rock
Ok my FI just bought this diamond haha. Actually he bought me a 1.28ct GIA ex with common prong setting from BN a month ago when he proposed. That was before we discovered PS. Since I didn''t like the setting we returned the ring and started looking for something else. Then we found PS. That was when I started becoming more and more difficult haha. Don''t you feel the more you know the more confused and undecisive you get!
33.gif
I''ve changed my mind at least 30 times now and even wasted $250 CAD fee by abandoning my custom WF setting... So my FI finally said that''s it we are getting this diamond. I will also be getting the common prong setting from JA (the 1.9mm one) and send it to WF to set.

I can''t wait to receive my ring! I''ve been without one for over a month now! Please wish me luck that the inclusion will not be visible... I do like the D color and the arrows, so hopefully this minor inclusion will not affect the overall beauty of my new rock!

Thank you guys for all your help!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck with the stone!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be gorgeous! Congratuations, and be sure to come back with pictures!
36.gif

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:52:40 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
what vision ?? when you get to my age...every stone is eye clean.
28.gif
hahaha.. this is so funny...
36.gif

so i guess that's why diamonds get better with age? wait.. or was that wine?
3.gif

and congratulations to you summerluv!!
1.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results