shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you be annoyed if someone copied your custom jewelry designs?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lovely to hear from you!!! Do you wear these gorgeous earrings a lot? I sure hope so!

They are in my safe deposit box, so no. I have to take them out to wear them. A few years ago someone from Pricescope approached me to buy them, which was enormously flattering. I just couldn't part with them even though I wear them infrequently.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes and no. For basic pieces, I don't care. I recently had a certain style of earrings made by DKJ and ended up doing them both for my daughter and my best girlfriend. I love them and think everyone should have them, if they like hoops!

If someone knocked off Beloved, tho, or the bands that go with it, I wouldn't be best pleased. That was my design and was made to represent my marriage. Granted, I copied the prong style exactly from a Victorian bypass ring I bought, but there's a LOT more to Beloved than just prong style, and if someone duplicated her with the exact combo of her many elements, I wouldn't love it.

My Holly band is pretty precious to me also, tho if anyone else wanted to do the same with a different floral motif, I wouldn't mind.

I also recently designed my Southern Cross locket, and I've never seen a locket like that. If someone wanted to copy that, tho, I wouldn't mind. In fact - good luck to them; that locket cost a motza to take from 'design-to-reality', mostly because of the amount of 18kt yellow gold in it. The chain alone cost me 2k on sale, and that was by far the least of it. So if someone wants that locket THAT much - have at it.

Mostly, if it's someone I know, especially on PS, I think it's only manners to ask. I'm easy to reach - just reach out! I do know that pieces of mine have been duplicated multiple times from people who have seen them on PS, and, as I recall, I've only been asked once by a PSer. So that's a tad disappointing. I always tell DKJ to feel free to reproduce them if asked - but that still doesn't negate that it's polite to ask me, too. DKJ always asks me, so I've always said yes. But because they ask me, I'm aware of how many people have taken my designs to them and asked for them to be copied exactly. My designs really are mine - down to 5/100ths of a mm. When I was doing CADs for Beloved Past Present and Future, I know I dropped the angle of the side stones 3% at one point. I mean, this is pretty specific stuff.

So Beloved and my Holly ring are pretty sacred. After that, I'm always going to say yes.

you have such beautiful pieces Mrs B

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as I recall, I've only been asked once by a PSer.

I'm hoping this was me, when I bought the small EC from you to make a copy of the EC and pears ring. If I didn't ask, I apologize.

As I've said in other posts, I'm not all that creative and when I have a piece made, i generally take bits and parts of designs from pieces I've seen. Or I ask that an antique piece be replicated, maybe with a tweak here and there. So, since I don't feel like I've really "created" anything in total, it wouldn't bother me if someone copied me. That said, I haven't had anything made that I felt was truly personal to me or made for a sentimental reason. If I had, I think it might bother me if someone just flat out copied it, without asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results