shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this stone look okay????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am looking at a stone that is M color H+A with faint flo; would this look ok in a yellow gold setting or would it look totally yellow. I don''t mind a little warmth; I just don''t want my friends guessing the color right away. Help from independant experts would be much appreciated.
Jackie S

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Bump!
3.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi a...

An M color would look distinctly warm or tinted.

I would suggest maxing out on J color if possible.
That way you can get a decent color and still find great savings.

Kirk

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha... while an M color diamond will not be *white*, being an H&A, it will certainly face up better and be hella fiery! In yellow gold I think you'd be safe as the contrast will not be so obvious as it would be in white gold or platinum. Be sure you're purchasing from a reputable establishment who allows returns to make sure you're not stuck if you're not happy. I've had the oppportunity to see super ideals as low as 0-P colors that were absolutely gorgeous.

My 02c
Rhino

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
I don't know Rhino! The diamond is at www.goodoldgold.com. I've heard that Jonathan is a pretty shifty dealer. LOOOOOOOOOL
Jackie S

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Rhino,
On a more serious note, would your layaway plan apply to this diamond since it comes from your cutters? Also, would the same return policy you have for diamonds in your store apply?
Jackie S

Disclaimer: Rhino is a gentleman and an excellent diamond dealer! Ask around his reputation is well known!
appl.gif

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
In yellow gold I think you'd be safe as the contrast will not be so obvious as it would be in white gold or platinum.

Does this mean with an entire yellow gold setting, or is white prongs understood?
Jackie S

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
aislingmaire wrote:

Hello,
I am looking at a stone that is M color H+A with faint flo; would this look ok in a yellow gold setting or would it look totally yellow. I don't mind a little warmth; I just don't want my friends guessing the color right away. Help from independant experts would be much appreciated.

----------------

My 2 cents is that an M color stone will look yellow. I have not seen an H&A stone in the color M (seems foolish--great symmetry and extra branding for an M color?) but there is only so much that great symmetry and brilliance can hide. I had M/N color earrings and when they were on their own before I knew any better, I thought they were fine. But then we bought our G stone and suddenly my earrings were QUITE OBVIOUSLY not the H's they had been sold to us as. They looked downright yellow..and not yellow in a good way but icky dirty yellow. We got them replaced with H's through the original jeweler ASAP even though we had them for 2 years...but now I know what a true yellowish stone looks like. My H's are like a blinding white light compared to my old earrings, the differences in comparison are astounding.

If you have not seen an M or N diamond in person and have no idea what it looks like...you should before you buy. It seems to me that preference for the much warmer shades of diamonds is a true love of the look, as opposed to trying to get something whitish for cheaper. If you don't know for sure that you will like the look, then don't get it unless you see it. Safest bet.

If you don't intend to have any future pieces of jewelry that have colorless stones in them, then it may not matter...but if you plan to have a bracelet or necklace with colorless (or even G-I) stones in it, you will notice the difference and it may begin to bother you (aka I would feel as though my jewelry was unmatched--but I am odd this way, same way I will not wear gold and platinum together). If you are looking for light warmth, I would agree with one of the other posts who said not go above a J. Though, someone on here recently got a J H&A from GOG and they returned it and got an H instead after seeing that the J even though it was an H&A with great cut, it was just too warm for their tastes.

You mention you don't want your friends to guess right away. Do any of them have e-rings or wedding rings? If so, a quick comparison of their hand against yours will give away the color if they have anything above an I/J. I say this because my coworker has a very lovely 1.25c old european cut stone that her dad bought at an estate sale for something like $500 20 years ago that is amazingly beautiful. I have always loved it. Imagine my surprise after I got my stone when we put our hands together just to look at our rings together and have a giggle when we both noticed that her stone was much more yellow than mine!! Amazing, I never would have seen it on it's own (she has a YG setting), but next to my G color stone...it was very noticeable. We both were a little surprised. So that is just a story for thought, if it does not matter to you then fine...but since you mention your friends not knowing the color...you may want to take into consideration this comparison for the future.

Just some food for thought. Oh and view www.faycullen.com and look at some of her stones...she has some O and P stones that are definitely a warm yellow.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
M color has a distinct yellow hue and faint fluorescence doesn't help it that much... If you want a white looking diamond, choose an I or better color or a J with some fluor... Why don't you look at a smaller diamond??

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results