shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this diamond be any good?

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm in search of a diamond, budget is $3700 or less. I tried to use the search tool on top of the page and it's giving me a headache lol, so many options to choose from. If i were to put in all the search filter, should i then just go with the lowest price on there?

What else do I need to look for in terms of quality diamond? I think I saw someone posted an idealscope parameters in one of the other posts.

I kind of just follow that parameter: depth no more than 62%, crown angle 34-35, pavilion angle 40.6-40.9, table 54-58. I think it was from MissGotRocks :).

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
So we can assume you're looking for a round brilliant then. Do you have any color preference? What about clarity? Any desired carat range?

southLA504

Rough_Rock
Is the $3,700 budget for the loose diamond only, or for both the diamond and the setting?

southLA504

Rough_Rock
Also it depends on what kind of cut, clarity, colour and carat your looking for.

As far as my opinion, I would go as low clarity as possible as long as you can get the vender to identify if the stone is eye clean or not. There are some eye clean SI2 stones out there. As for color, the smaller the diamond, the less color shows up so you have to decide on what size carat you want. But bigger carat doesn't mean bigger appearance, you can find a properly cut .9 carat stone that looks the same size or bigger than a 1.0 carat stone.

For your price range you could get something like a 1.1 carat J si2, or if u'd rather higher color you could get a .90 G SI1

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
Hello, $3700 is for a loose stone only. As for the 4c, I think 0.7 - 1 carat is good. For color, probably H-G, I wouldn't want to see yellow in it hehe. As for clarity, I'm not real good at choosing it. Ive seen some posts with really good SI stones. However, whenever I go and browse for stones in that category, I always see a bunch of inclusions. As for cuts, excellent or as much sparkles as possible. Ive been through so much stones and I havent found one to my liking yet :(

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LivingLife|1445626766|3941410 said:
Hello, $3700 is for a loose stone only. As for the 4c, I think 0.7 - 1 carat is good. For color, probably H-G, I wouldn't want to see yellow in it hehe. As for clarity, I'm not real good at choosing it. Ive seen some posts with really good SI stones. However, whenever I go and browse for stones in that category, I always see a bunch of inclusions. As for cuts, excellent or as much sparkles as possible. Ive been through so much stones and I havent found one to my liking yet :(

Regarding clarity - when you are buying via the internet (or in a B&M for that matter) make sure and ask the staff if a gemologist has verified your diamond as 'eye-clean.' You should find some SI1's and occasional SI2's that fall into that category, leaving a little more budget for cut quality (or color or weight). Don't be shy about calling and asking.

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
So I've settled with this diamond that tyty333 (thank you!) posted: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3520046.htm

Im just waiting to send a copy of my credit card front and back, and ID to WhiteFlash then I think they should ship it soon. They are so careful with the buying process. I have no access to a copy machine at the moment because it's 1:30AM in the morning lol.

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
So after having the loose diamond for a few weeks, I start to have curiosity. The one i bought was an Expert Selection. Right now, I see an A Cut Above, about the same size, about $300 more. I start to wonder would it be worth it to pay that extra $300 for an A Cut Above? I notice that the new one that im looking at has a clarity of VS1 instead of the one i currently have, VS2. Maybe that extra price is because the clarity is higher? Should I return my current one for the new one im seeing? Would the A cut Above be more superior/noticeable in terms of sparkle than the Expert Selection? If so, should i do the exchange?

Current one: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3520046.htm
New one: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577627.htm#

Thanks everyone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their Expert Selection stones have generally missed the A Cut Above designation by something very small. I doubt that you would see a large difference between the stones but $300 is not a huge increase to jump to a VS1 stone. I guess it all boils down to how pleased you are with your current stone - the rest is probably more of a mind clean issue and it all depends on how important it is to you.

I would also take into consideration any plans you might have to upgrade in the future. If you plan to trade this stone in somewhere down the line, you might hold with what you have now and put additional funds into an upgrade later. If you feel that this is your forever (or for the next few years) stone, you might want to upgrade to a higher clarity. There is no huge need to do it unless you would feel better having an ACA stone and a higher clarity.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are thinking of exchanging your stone, consider other options as well

For example,
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3186641.htm#

You get a significant upgrade in color and carat weight, while sacrificing clarity. But it is "A Cut Above". Eye cleanliness and and good optics are guaranteed.

Set your new budget, expand carat, clarity, color options, and see what they have

Just FYI

LivingLife

Rough_Rock
If I were to upgrade the diamond to a bigger size in the future, would the custom made setting that I will have fit it? Can the jeweler make adjustment to fit a bigger diamond (right now it will be for a 0.788 carat diamond)? Or do I have to re-custom make another separate setting? For example, I have a 0.788 diamond right now, and in the future I want to go to a 1.5 carat or something like that.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LivingLife said:
If I were to upgrade the diamond to a bigger size in the future, would the custom made setting that I will have fit it? Can the jeweler make adjustment to fit a bigger diamond (right now it will be for a 0.788 carat diamond)? Or do I have to re-custom make another separate setting? For example, I have a 0.788 diamond right now, and in the future I want to go to a 1.5 carat or something like that.

It depends on what kind of setting it is. It's possible that you could switch out the head on a solitaire. But a bezel setting or halo would probably need to be remade.

You may find that when you upgrade to a larger diamond you actually want a different style setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results