shape
carat
color
clarity

would the cut advisor rate a VG GIA cut rating below 2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
I have seen many people discussing the differences in AGS 000 Ideal versus Excellent cut in GIA. so my question is if i look at GIA certified diamonds, and look at Ideal only, would that ensure that i can narrow it down to get the best performing ones on the cut advisor on PS? or is it somehow possible that a GIA diamond rated only as very good in cut would in fact be able to perform at below 2 on the cut advisor since the AGS and GIA ratings for cut are different? i am just thinking it would be a huge time committment to go through that many diamonds putting them into the cut advisor...
23.gif

sorry if this has been asked already.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay within GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal and you won''t have as much of a problem. If you make your parameters too broad, you''ll have too many to choose from.

mattph76b

Rough_Rock
I just completed my diamond search today. One diamond I looked at on Saturday was a GIA VG cut and ranked 0.9 on the HCA, so it is possible. Another one that I looked at was a GIA Excellent cut and ranked 1.3 on the HCA (which surprised me). The 1.3 looked better to me though, so that's the one I'm buying.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you're looking for a good HCA score....your best bet would be 34.2-34.7 crown X 40.7-40.8 pavil angle.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/16/2006 10:50:28 PM
Author:froufrou
I have seen many people discussing the differences in AGS 000 Ideal versus Excellent cut in GIA. so my question is if i look at GIA certified diamonds, and look at Ideal only, would that ensure that i can narrow it down to get the best performing ones on the cut advisor on PS? or is it somehow possible that a GIA diamond rated only as very good in cut would in fact be able to perform at below 2 on the cut advisor since the AGS and GIA ratings for cut are different? i am just thinking it would be a huge time committment to go through that many diamonds putting them into the cut advisor...
23.gif

sorry if this has been asked already.
If you look at the areas in the red on HCA charts below GIA and AGS zones marked on the HCA charts - then yes. There are shallower crown / pavilion angles that I believe out perform GIA''s steeper deeper C/P''s.

AGS is very safe and a better system from what I know about the two. But there can be advantages for shallower stones than AGS. Read all the stuff in the journal and the HCA tutrials etc

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
aaah! i am reading the tutorial and i cant seem to figure out how the HCA chart works. am i looking to make sure all the red color is approximately on a 45 degree line from the upper left corner to the bottom right corner?? or am i looking to see that the red stuff is within the white solid line??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results